Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car in for service yesterday for the center console lock which had been sticking once depressed and would not close thereafter. I had the lock serviced 2x before but the problem reoccured. This time it was replaced with a new mechanism and functions as it was designed. The LSB #0038-123.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I fixed mine myself in less than 5 minutes. It gets stuck because the white grease that is used gets clumped up in the mechanism. I cleared out the grease and added a small amount of WD-40 and it works like a charm. I need to waste my time at a dealer for a simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
842 Posts
I fixed mine myself in less than 5 minutes. It gets stuck because the white grease that is used gets clumped up in the mechanism. I cleared out the grease and added a small amount of WD-40 and it works like a charm. I need to waste my time at a dealer for a simple fix.

That's great! I hope your obviously superior application of WD-40 will result in a permanent (or at least semi permanent) fix, unlike all of us who have done exactly the same thing, with various lubricants (including WD-40) and the dealers service people who have also used different lubricants (including WD-40), only to have the problem recur.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That's great! I hope your obviously superior application of WD-40 will result in a permanent (or at least semi permanent) fix, unlike all of us who have done exactly the same thing, with various lubricants (including WD-40) and the dealers service people who have also used different lubricants (including WD-40), only to have the problem recur.

Good luck with that.
Well if you actually read my post you would see I actually removed a large amount of the sludge that was in there. Mine has been going strong with no issues for several weeks. I added WD-40 to slightly dilute the remaining lube. Sometimes you just have to use common sense. Good day sir!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had used WD-40 on my own a few times and it worked for a bit but the problem would eventually reoccur. I did not try to disassemble the armrest to view the actually mechanism as I am not sure how the armrest is removed. Then someone posted that WD-40 is not recommended for lubrication of plastics, so when it stuck again I had it changed by a professional. To each their own. I just wanted to notify everyone that there is a new part and the new part functions much better and is maintenance free. A new car lock should not require a customer to lubricate or fiddle to open and close and should work properly as warranted. Just my two cents and no reply is necessary.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had used WD-40 on my own a few times and it worked for a bit but the problem would eventually reoccur. I did not try to disassemble the armrest to view the actually mechanism as I am not sure how the armrest is removed. Then someone posted that WD-40 is not recommended for lubrication of plastics, so when it stuck again I had it changed by a professional. To each their own. I just wanted to notify everyone that there is a new part and the new part functions much better and is maintenance free. A new car lock should not require a customer to lubricate or fiddle to open and close and should work properly as warranted. Just my two cents and no reply is necessary.
And I appreciated the information. I just returned from having the mechanism replaced and I expect it will work properly longer than the couple of times when I cleaned out the white sludge, lubricated it and put it back on only to have it start to fail again a couple of weeks later. Thanks again.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if their new mechanism is the fix, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my center console lock replaced under factory warranty 10 days ago (under the same TSIB mentioned from the 1st post of the OP). The lock has been working like brand new ever since (and should be anyways).

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have suffered from this issue,i was out of warranty so i removed the lock and cleaned it up and it worked for a very short time and then started getting stuck in the open position,i removed the lock and added a second spring inside the original one so it now has two working springs,it has now worked a treat for 5 months now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i removed the lock and added a second spring inside the original one so it now has two working springs,it has now worked a treat for 5 months now.
Wow that's pretty slick! Just wondering, you said you were out of warranty, did you ask the dealer if they would do it anyway? Since it has a known service bulletin number, and it's not a lot of money, I bet some dealerships would do it out of good faith since they know it was a faulty design to start with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i didn't know it had a known service bulletin,but by the time i had made the journey to the dealership and paid the toll for the tunnel both ways it was quicker and easier to look at it myself and then have the satisfaction of repairing it myself.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You know the storage container in the middle of the car between the front two seats, it has a button and a latch. For older model cars the latch was faulty. It was redesigned for later model cars, and the dealer can install this new latch into older model cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You know the storage container in the middle of the car between the front two seats, it has a button and a latch. For older model cars the latch was faulty. It was redesigned for later model cars, and the dealer can install this new latch into older model cars.
Thanks... got it... I am hoping that the problem has been fixed/redesigned for 2015 model

1 - 16 of 16 Posts