Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm raising this topic due to my recent drop in mpg (according to the instrument gauge). I, as of one week ago saw 51.1 mpg on the gauge. Just to give you some idea of my driving routine. I drive periodically from Salinas, CA to Los Angeles, CA for contract work which is roughly 275 to 300 miles depending on my destination in LA.
I traded in my '07 Tundra SR5/5.7/Longbed because that drive would've put me in the poorhouse for sure (just recently relocated to Salinas due to my wife taking a position there).

Anyway, short story is my mileage has being averaging 35-36 mpg the last two trips. I've checked tire pressure and usually run Mobil gas. I recently had it serviced at 5K (7500 now) with the coolant recall taken care of.

Car runs great but can't seem to get up into the 40's. Even going downhill doesn't always give me max mpg on the gauge unless I'm doing a steep downgrade.

Getting depressed.

Any suggestions?

and thanks...

'11 CT200h Premium
MatRed
Perf Leather
NAV
Xenon

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello everybody. I'm raising this topic due to my recent drop in mpg (according to the instrument gauge). I, as of one week ago saw 51.1 mpg on the gauge. Just to give you some idea of my driving routine. I drive periodically from Salinas, CA to Los Angeles, CA for contract work which is roughly 275 to 300 miles depending on my destination in LA.
I traded in my '07 Tundra SR5/5.7/Longbed because that drive would've put me in the poorhouse for sure (just recently relocated to Salinas due to my wife taking a position there).

Anyway, short story is my mileage has being averaging 35-36 mpg the last two trips. I've checked tire pressure and usually run Mobil gas. I recently had it serviced at 5K (7500 now) with the coolant recall taken care of.

Car runs great but can't seem to get up into the 40's. Even going downhill doesn't always give me max mpg on the gauge unless I'm doing a steep downgrade.

Getting depressed.

Any suggestions?

and thanks...

'11 CT200h Premium
MatRed
Perf Leather
NAV
Xenon
Could be a whole manner of things, air conditioning / heating being used more, lights, radio on, heavier traffic, harder acceleration, short journeys other than the one mentioned. I think we are all waiting for that magic 70mpg that Lexus told us the car was capable of but to my knowledge no one is hitting this yet, far from it in fact. Currently I am averaging 44mpg (UK) which is okay but to be honest for the last 2 months the car has only been doing really short journeys, wheather has become colder (heater being used more), it's darker in the morning (lights on longer), rear screen needed demisting, etc. etc.

I guess just trust this will get better and it will I am sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here on the east coast, some areas switch to a "winter blend" of gas that can seriously impact fuel economy. I doubt that happens in California, though.

Likewise, I doubt that the temperature has changed to the point that it could affect your mileage that much.

Have you noticed a change in engine sound or performance? Could there be a vacuum leak?

Also, I wonder if there is a way to reset the ECU that learns your driving habits? Many cars have a way to do this (though maybe it's not necessary on a car with CVT ?).

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are a lot of things that can cause lower than expected MPG. We need more information.
What speed do you drive?
Is it mostly highway?
Is the land flat or hilly?
What mode are you driving in?
Are you using cruise control?
All of these affect mileage and there are other things also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds to me like that car needs to go back to the shop, immediately.

That's a HUGE shift in mileage, and you say it happened right after you took it in?

Coincidence? Well, unless you're driving 80mph all day instead of 65, or doing crazy stuff, there's no excuse for that kind of drop.

Something is wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my speedster days in my Thunderbird (hence the name tbirdboy) are over I'm sure. Well I will take all these suggestions under consideration. I'm finishing up my work here and around 2am drive back home.
Its a 4.5 hour drive. So I'll fill the tank and really monitor my settings and speed. If I still feel unsatisfied then the dealer will be my next stop.

BTW I took the vehicle in around mid October for it's 5K service. I'm now at 7600k...really racking up the mileage here...

As a side note...I took my CT to the Keyes dealer in Van Nuys thinking it would be similar to Keyes Toyota where I bought my Tundra. Now I know how the 1%'ers live.
Free WiFi
Free Iced Mochas
Free drinks and pastries
Comfy lounge area
Free rental cars

I ain't never going back to Toyota.

·
Registered
239 Posts
BTW I took the vehicle in around mid October for it's 5K service. I'm now at 7600k...really racking up the mileage here...

As a side note...I took my CT to the Keyes dealer in Van Nuys thinking it would be similar to Keyes Toyota where I bought my Tundra. Now I know how the 1%'ers live.
Free WiFi
Free Iced Mochas
Free drinks and pastries
Comfy lounge area
Free rental cars
Well, I wouldn't call it free. It's all built into the price of the vehicle and the price of the servicing. =]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the BMW, Audi or Acura dealer down the street don't have anything close to my dealer (Keyes). That said Dozer, your absolutely right!
Lexus has always prided itself for its service and attention to the customer. I guess you get what you pay for.

"What speed do you drive?
Is it mostly highway?

1. 65-70 mph...up to 75. No more tickets for me.
2. 98% highway for 280 miles.
3. Hills are about 40 miles of that 280.
4. Eco except for passing trucks on the 2 laners. Then back to Eco
5. Always cruise control on the highway.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought cruise control was not good for mpg?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cruise control is a mileage killer in the CT.

We've taken a couple of long highway trips in our car. When driving without cruise control, we get 4.7 L/100km (50 US mpg). With the cruise control on, we get 5.4 L/100km (43 US mpg).

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you are a hyper miler who pulses and coasts, then you can always beat the cruise control. I would go mad doing that. I find that I have a tendency to use more throttle than the cruise control and so I usually get better mileage with it than without it. But your results may vary.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, I wouldn't call it free. It's all built into the price of the vehicle and the price of the servicing. =]

I agree totally – you do pay for it. Personally, I’d rather not have all those luxuries available at a car dealership but use that money saved for a nice restaurant and a night on the town. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to wait for service at some dingy or shabby dealership either. I just don’t require free iced mochas, soft drinks, pastries, or chocolate biscotti to lure me in. Guess I’m just a low maintenance kind of guy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drove interstate 100 miles each way Saturday and hit 40mpg. In town this week I hit the magic 50. Averaging 47mpg in town and no complaints. Cruise control on highway seems to choose your gears for you and I have no problem with this; in fact, I love it. 40mpg is great on interstate and that's with cruise control. I'm always careful to ease the acellerator when starting from a full stop. Find that driving in economy mode is perfect most of the time in town unless I have to start from a full stop and climb a hill. That's when I switch to normal. Use the power mode to accelerate onto an interstate and then shift to normal and away she goes.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Well the BMW, Audi or Acura dealer down the street don't have anything close to my dealer (Keyes). That said Dozer, your absolutely right!
Lexus has always prided itself for its service and attention to the customer. I guess you get what you pay for.

"What speed do you drive?
Is it mostly highway?

1. 65-70 mph...up to 75. No more tickets for me.
2. 98% highway for 280 miles.
3. Hills are about 40 miles of that 280.
4. Eco except for passing trucks on the 2 laners. Then back to Eco
5. Always cruise control on the highway.

Okay to get good mileage:

(1) recheck your tire air pressure. If you just took it to Lexus fo 5k they probably reset it to factory specs. Increase it back to at least 36 psi cold or up to 42 psi cold. This is good for 1-2 mpg.

(2) lower you highway speed to 60 mph and you will add 6-7 mpg

(3) depending on you outside temp, you can potentially gain 1-2 mpg by turning HVAC off.

(4) Cruise is good and contrary to what they say pulse and glide doesn't add that much if any mpg --- unless you want to go at the magic speed of 42 miles per hour. cruise works really good on hills.

(5) How do you reach cruising speed. Two different techniques both work pretty well. A. accelerate fairly hard until you reach cruising speed; theory less engine run time. B. acclerate just below reaching power range until you reach crusing speed; theory maximize engine torque ( which is a reason for paddle shifters- that most don't understand on ECVT - because tthey don't have a manual shift background- another topic for another time ;) )

(6) plan/anticipate braking and passing ; minimize both

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read tbirdboy's original post to mean that his driving and driving conditions haven't really changed but he's noticed a big drop in mpgs recently. I'm having the same problem, but to a lesser degree. I was getting around 47-49 mpg during the summer, then due to changes in daily route my mpgs fell to around 45-6 mpg. With the new route there is less opportunity to drive under ideal pulse and glide conditions. In the last 2 or 3 tanks, my mileage has dropped to 41 mpg, with no difference in driving habits. The temperature has gotten a little cooler, but I haven't been running the heat much, just like I didn't run the A/C much. If this drop is due to outside temperature by February I'll be getting in the low 30s for mpg. My car also has about 7500 miles on it, and the changes in mpg are also true for when I calculate the true mpg (all mpgs are 2-3 mpg higher than actual calculated mpg, but it depresses me that I got 39 mpg on my last tank.)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Cruise control is a mileage killer in the CT.

We've taken a couple of long highway trips in our car. When driving without cruise control, we get 4.7 L/100km (50 US mpg). With the cruise control on, we get 5.4 L/100km (43 US mpg).
I have gotten really good mileage with cruise control. Coming back from my cabin yesterday, set it on cruise at 62 mph and got 48.4 mpg. I don't understand why your cruise control gets worse mileage on as opposed to off ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have gotten really good mileage with cruise control. Coming back from my cabin yesterday, set it on cruise at 62 mph and got 48.4 mpg. I don't understand why your cruise control gets worse mileage on as opposed to off ??
I purchased my car in March 2011 and was averaging 42.1 on mostly stop and go hilly daily commute. Took my car in for the 5k service and coolant flush and have noticed a substantial decrease in mpg. Dropped about 5-6 mgs. Has been colder and lots of condensation in the morning so car has been taking longer to warm-up (gas engine running on start-up for longer period) and defrosters are also on. Once, car is warm and running the mpgs seem to be comparable as to my pre-service average. Seems to me that weather has a lot to do with the bottom line mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Generally speaking the temps in central and southern CA have been dipping in the lower 50's to the lower 40's in the last few weeks. I guess I can deduce that my decrease in mileage is due to the lower temps. Another 400 miles to next service. I'll address it with the service writer and see what he has to say.

Sidestepping this topic...has anyone noticed upholstery separating from the rear doors panels?...like the adhesive has deteriorated and has become unglued. Mine has and will be addresses as well.
Wont tolerate that at all.
I will post this topic as new but need to take pics before I do. Probably Monday morning.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with the terrain. If you're in a very flat area, I would imagine cruise control won't hurt your MPG's that much. If you're in a hilly area, cruise won't take advantage of the downhill energy and will just maintain the set speed, then when you hit an uphill stretch, it will do whatever it needs to do to the throttle to maintain that speed (revs spike and the energy meter goes way up).

I tested cruise once in this car and hated the way it drove due to the above. I like taking advantage of the downhills and building up more speed to help you up the next hill to maximize MPG's. That's my $0.02.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts