Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a good "real world" report comparing the CT against two other vehicles.

Extreme Commuting Mileage Report - KickingTires

Extreme Commuting Mileage Report

Hybrid buyers are generally looking for high mileage over all else unless they're shopping in the luxury space. Still, the 2011 Lexus CT 200h is rated at an impressive 42 mpg for combined city/highway driving. We took it to task along with the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro convertible and 2011 Kia Sportage SX in our latest extreme commuting challenge.

The Lexus CT 200h hybrid has a sweet spot for gridlock traffic with the ability to drive short distances using electric power only. In switchable EV mode, the CT 200h can drive up to one mile at speeds less than 28 mph. I didn’t need the feature to crack off better mileage than its city ratings. The Camaro convertible handled traffic congestion like a champ, offering a comfortable ride and better over-the-shoulder visibility with the top up than the coupe. The Sportage SX is turbocharged and takes a gas-mileage hit for the additional 84 horsepower, though only for highway ratings. EPA-estimated fuel-economy ratings drop from 21/28 mpg city/highway with all-wheel drive on non-turbo models to 21/26 mpg for the all-wheel-drive SX.
Extreme commuting is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as someone who spends more than 90 minutes per day on their way to the office. Being based in downtown Chicago, our commutes to Cars.com are that long and can bring out the worst — or best— gas mileage in the cars we test. We wanted to give an idea of what to expect in these conditions by tracking our gas mileage.

My real-world commute averages 35 miles one way from the western suburbs to downtown Chicago. It takes 90 minutes on good days and up to three hours on bad days. Those are really bad days. Speeds average 22 to 25 mph.
Like our Mileage Challenges, all mileage data is collected from the car’s on-board trip computer. As we've reported before they are generally accurate, especially when calculating trips of this length.

2011 Lexus CT 200h
  • 1.8-liter four-cylinder (gas hybrid), continuously variable automatic transmission
  • EPA rating (city/highway/combined): 43/40/42 mpg
  • Time: 1 hour, 24 minutes
  • Trip mpg: 45.8 mpg
  • Trip miles: 36.7 miles
  • Average speed: 26 mph
  • Outside temp: 51.8 F
2011 Chevrolet Camaro convertible 2LT
  • 3.6-liter six-cylinder, six-speed-automatic transmission
  • EPA rating (city/highway/combined): 18/29/22 mpg
  • Time: 1 hour, 36 minutes
  • Trip mpg: 18.3 mpg
  • Trip miles: 34.3 miles
  • Average speed: 21.7 mph
  • Outside temp: 50 F
2011 Kia Sportage SX Turbo
  • 2.0-liter four-cylinder, six-speed-automatic transmission, all-wheel drive
  • EPA rating (city/highway/combined): 21/26/23 mpg
  • Time: 1 hour, 31 minutes
  • Trip mpg: 19.8 mpg
  • Trip miles: 33.6 miles
  • Average speed: 22 mph
  • Outside temp: 77 F

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if you do the math using $4 per gallon gas price, you get the following:

CT cost $3.21
Camaro cost $7.50
Kia cost $6.79

to drive the commute.

clearly the fuel savings offset the higher priced CT.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if you do the math using $4 per gallon gas price, you get the following:

CT cost $3.21
Camaro cost $7.50
Kia cost $6.79

to drive the commute.

clearly the fuel savings offset the higher priced CT.
In Canada, the CT is likely the least expensive of these 3 cars.

CT starts at $30,900
Camaro Convertable starts at $33,995
Sportage SX starts at $36,995

Although he doesn't really describe the model of CT he's driving. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
why on earth would you compare these 3 cars? they have completely different target user profiles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thoght the same thing! I thought they would compare the CT to the Prius or Civic hybrid or Insight or something simlar.
But it illustrates that even though they target different user groups, we all have to drive our cars to work, and some will cost more than others.
I would like to see the same test for an Escalade, Yukon, F150 etc. heehee

·
Registered
83 Posts
why on earth would you compare these 3 cars? they have completely different target user profiles.
Agreed, the results seem obvious (at least in the case of the Camaro) but at least they didn't bash the Camaro as being a crap car just because its a gas hog like many do when speaking about the CT's straight line acceleration. And, I suspect more folks will commute in their Camaro's than will show up at the drag-strip in their CT:).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts