Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CT200h
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok - I've spent several hours reading the Gen3 Prius and CT200h forums, but still have a few key questions:
  1. What makes sense to try next?
  2. Should I buy a Prolong or Maxx Volts grid charger and try to charge the hybrid battery (I don't know how long it's been out of service or if it was discharged somehow)?
  3. Should I try to take the battery stack apart and replace #7 with a certified good one?
  4. Any ideas on why the battery appears dead, but there's no P0A80 code?
------------------------------------

Situation: Car won't start. Dash lights up like a Christmas tree. The last time it ran, the engine sporadically turned off while driving down the road and would not re-start for 2-20 minutes. I managed to get it home. I've run an OBD2 scanner and received the following codes both before and after resetting the codes and re-trying to start the car (I know the reset worked as the OBD tool shows 0 miles and 0 starts since last code clear):

ECUDateError
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
P0AC0 - Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Current Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
P0AFC - Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Sensor Module
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
P0B47 - Hybrid/ EV Battery Voltage Sense C Circuit Low
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
Hybrid Battery Pack Remaining Life - 0.0%

I was surprised I did not find the P0A80 code most people dread.

What I've done: I bought a junkyard battery from a wrecked, low-mileage car and swapped it into my car. Nothing seemed abnormal during the swap, either of the batteries, controllers, or cables -- my original or swapped. No difference with the codes, except this new one appeared:

ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
U029A - Lost Communication with Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Sensor Module

Since then:
  • I opened the engine bay and found no visible issues to any of the orange wiring leading up to the inverter/charger unit from the firewall.
  • Inside the car, I visually checked the cables and whatnot behind the passenger's right footwell area and while it's a mess of wires, nothing appeared out of order.
  • Also inside the car, from the chassis to the hybrid battery, I checked the orange wires and all appeared ok.
I am confident that all wiring is correct and properly synched and clicked-in place.

I am also confident that that the 12v battery is fine; it's nearly new and has been on a trickle charger to keep it fresh.

I ran the Dr. Prius app and took a screenshot of the "swapped in" battery. 0% charge looks key, but it also added the P0A0D code, which surprised me, as I re-checked the big orange safety plug on the back of the battery facing the spare tire and it was indeed secure and swung shut/closed.

ECU2(#FD40)
07-Aug​
P0A0D

Colorfulness Light Product Slope Font

Rectangle Font Screenshot Slope Parallel

Advice appreciated!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok - I've spent several hours reading the Gen3 Prius and CT200h forums, but still have a few key questions:
  1. What makes sense to try next?
  2. Should I buy a Prolong or Maxx Volts grid charger and try to charge the hybrid battery (I don't know how long it's been out of service or if it was discharged somehow)?
  3. Should I try to take the battery stack apart and replace #7 with a certified good one?
  4. Any ideas on why the battery appears dead, but there's no P0A80 code?
------------------------------------

Situation: Car won't start. Dash lights up like a Christmas tree. The last time it ran, the engine sporadically turned off while driving down the road and would not re-start for 2-20 minutes. I managed to get it home. I've run an OBD2 scanner and received the following codes both before and after resetting the codes and re-trying to start the car (I know the reset worked as the OBD tool shows 0 miles and 0 starts since last code clear):

ECUDateError
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
P0AC0 - Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Current Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
P0AFC - Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Sensor Module
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
P0B47 - Hybrid/ EV Battery Voltage Sense C Circuit Low
ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
Hybrid Battery Pack Remaining Life - 0.0%

I was surprised I did not find the P0A80 code most people dread.

What I've done: I bought a junkyard battery from a wrecked, low-mileage car and swapped it into my car. Nothing seemed abnormal during the swap, either of the batteries, controllers, or cables -- my original or swapped. No difference with the codes, except this new one appeared:

ECU2(#FD40)
06-Aug​
U029A - Lost Communication with Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Sensor Module

Since then:
  • I opened the engine bay and found no visible issues to any of the orange wiring leading up to the inverter/charger unit from the firewall.
  • Inside the car, I visually checked the cables and whatnot behind the passenger's right footwell area and while it's a mess of wires, nothing appeared out of order.
  • Also inside the car, from the chassis to the hybrid battery, I checked the orange wires and all appeared ok.
I am confident that all wiring is correct and properly synched and clicked-in place.

I am also confident that that the 12v battery is fine; it's nearly new and has been on a trickle charger to keep it fresh.

I ran the Dr. Prius app and took a screenshot of the "swapped in" battery. 0% charge looks key, but it also added the P0A0D code, which surprised me, as I re-checked the big orange safety plug on the back of the battery facing the spare tire and it was indeed secure and swung shut/closed.

ECU2(#FD40)
07-Aug​
P0A0D

View attachment 61570

View attachment 61571

Advice appreciated!
Voltage difference should be much lower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts