Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Just to "ring in" on the parking brake question, the manual implies (in several places) that the parking brake is not mandatory. When the parking brake is mentioned it is in an "as needed" or "when necessary" way.

Having said this, I set it always, for safety reasons, in case there is some sort of failure or something happens that would allow the car to roll otherwise! Also, I'd rather put any strain encountered on a simple manual parking brake than my drive-train (or whatever system is engaged in "Park" to keep it from rolling)! I don't know if there is a problem with not using it or not, but "Park" isn't as robust as the parking brake is in keeping the car from rolling; there would be no need for a parking brake at all if this wasn't so!

I live in earthquake country, so I'm not taking ANY chances! ;)

· Registered
205 Posts
We are now on 3rd gen and the ECVT stands for electronic, which is involved with providing power to the stator winding which are similar to a solenoid or electromagnet --no voltage = no eletromagnetic field = no resistance. :eek: Also the clutch is electronic and is not engaged.
I'm aware of that,I wasn't able to find 3 rd gen transmission info . Both work similar

· Registered
205 Posts
When I parked my car today at work,I did it without hitting p button and the car moved more then it has in the past when I've parked .so, I will continue using the P button before shutting it down

· Premium Member
874 Posts
Not Necessary - Automatically P position

When I parked my car today at work,I did it without hitting p button and the car moved more then it has in the past when I've parked .so, I will continue using the P button before shutting it down
:confused::confused:

Extra Step - Not Necessary

Look at page 182 of your owners manual

Automatically P position selection function When the "POWER" switch is in ON mode while the shift position is in a position other than P and the vehicle is stopped completely, pressing the "POWER" switch will cause the automatically P position selection function to operate together with the "POWER" switch being turned to off

· Registered
180 Posts
I've checked the owners manual, Here's what it says...

Automatically P position selection function

When the "POWER" switch is in ON mode while the shift position is in a position other than P and the vehicle is stopped completely, pressing the "POWER" switch will cause the automatically P position selection function to operate together with the "POWER" switch being turned to off.

I wasn't aware (didn't remember) that it was OK to do this, but obviously it is. ;)

There are no warnings about harming the car (makes sense, since this is a "function"). :rolleyes:
Post #11 of THIS thread, by me! You guys really don't bother reading my posts do you?! :eek:

· Registered
205 Posts
:confused::confused:

Extra Step - Not Necessary

Look at page 182 of your owners manual

Automatically P position selection function When the "POWER" switch is in ON mode while the shift position is in a position other than P and the vehicle is stopped completely, pressing the "POWER" switch will cause the automatically P position selection function to operate together with the "POWER" switch being turned to off
I can read and understand.but, what happens in real life dictates what I do. I used only the power button and the car rolled more then I've felt using both buttons . Maybe it was just a fluke, but hitting two buttons doesn't slow or bother me enough to care

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So... I guess the CT moves a little more (once in park) than the average car based on the replies?

And for what it's worth, the guy at the dealer told me to just hit the Power button and the car will automatically park. That way I don't accidently leave the car on. (which I did once on a Prius rental).

· Registered
200 Posts
in all honesty, its common sense to press the P button once you come to a stop and the car is in a parked position..
I even engage the emergency brake when i've driven a prius, HS250h and CT200h as well...

· Premium Member
874 Posts
What happened to my common sense ?

in all honesty, its common sense to press the P button once you come to a stop and the car is in a parked position..
I even engage the emergency brake when i've driven a prius, HS250h and CT200h as well...
But sir, I have little common sense since all my other cars are 6-speed manual shift cars. ..And when the simple push of the power button automatically performs the P function, why should one need any sense to be redundant ...and yes Scott you did point this out first ..I was senslessly on the wrong page.

But alas, the emergency brake is a subject of a different matter. And even such sensless ones as I engage the emergency brake.

· Premium Member
874 Posts
Post #11 of THIS thread, by me! You guys really don't bother reading my posts do you?! :eek:
Sorry scottp46, I was on page 3 and didn't go back to page 2 :rolleyes:. You were the first to mention, how can we get people to read ?

· Registered
239 Posts
So... I guess the CT moves a little more (once in park) than the average car based on the replies?

And for what it's worth, the guy at the dealer told me to just hit the Power button and the car will automatically park. That way I don't accidently leave the car on. (which I did once on a Prius rental).
Seems to move just as much as any other car with an automatic that I've owned, not more, not less.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am new to this forum, but would like to say I was just parked on a flat surface when I started my 2016 ct200h. I was sitting in park while checking an address/hours of operation for a destination on my phone and I thought someone bumped my car. It suddenly rocked back and forth 3 times in each direction. Didn’t feel like any of my past cars that would rock like 10mm after a gear change. I’m not sure if the a/c usage activated the gas motor and everything was disrupted, but it startled me and led me to Google where I found this discussion.

· Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
492 Posts
I am new to this forum, but would like to say I was just parked on a flat surface when I started my 2016 ct200h. I was sitting in park while checking an address/hours of operation for a destination on my phone and I thought someone bumped my car. It suddenly rocked back and forth 3 times in each direction. Didn’t feel like any of my past cars that would rock like 10mm after a gear change. I’m not sure if the a/c usage activated the gas motor and everything was disrupted, but it startled me and led me to Google where I found this discussion.
Its normal.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.