Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is normal for most cars, but I feel like my new ct (got it 2 weeks ago!) does it more than any car I've ever driven. Does your ct roll like 3-6 inches after you've put it in park without the parking brake? Does anyone know the reason why it rolls so much more than the average vehicle?

Thanks,
-john

·
Registered
255 Posts
Always put parking brake on first, so I have never noticed.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Yes, it does roll a bit, but not 6"...I think that's extreme.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Every car will move an inch to two,unless you set parking brake.Maybe not an inch or two,but it will move

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Every car will move an inch to two,unless you set parking brake
My garage is fairly level and none of my prior cars moved. The CT moves...no joke! Maybe it's because I ALWAYS shut my car down w/out putting it in park, as it's not necessary to have to push 2 buttons.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My garage is fairly level and none of my prior cars moved. The CT moves...no joke! Maybe it's because I ALWAYS shut my car down w/out putting it in park, as it's not necessary to have to push 2 buttons.

Sorry to say,you should hit P before turning it off. All cars will move,shift or settle when putting in park.It's natural and and is due to tolerance between the Pawl and the gears.When shifted into park the Pawl moves in between the gears,the car will rock till pawl and gear have come to rest together.

Put your wife's car into park,get out and push on car.Car will move until pawl and gear have engaged with one another

·
Registered
239 Posts
Huh? When we hit the power button to turn the car off, it automatically goes into park, doesn't it?

I don't see a need to hit Park and then hit Power, seems redundant, no?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Huh? When we hit the power button to turn the car off, it automatically goes into park, doesn't it?

I don't see a need to hit Park and then hit Power, seems redundant, no?
Yes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You two do it anyway you want. There must be a reason we have a park button.sorry you are too much in a hurry to touch two buttons.must take 2 extra seconds out of your day,what a same

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry to say,you should hit P before turning it off. You two do it anyway you want. There must be a reason we have a park button.sorry you are too much in a hurry to touch two buttons.must take 2 extra seconds out of your day,what a same
Do you have any basis for this? I use the park button when I want to leave the car on, but keep it from moving. I.E. I'm at a drive-through and want to reach into my back pocket to grab my wallet, I don't want the car rolling forward and kick it into park for a bit.

If you have a real reason why we should put it in park just before hitting the power button, I'd like to know. I don't want to intentionally hurt the car just to save pressing one extra button. I just can't see any reason for it.

Why is this a 'shame'?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you have any basis for this? I use the park button when I want to leave the car on, but keep it from moving. I.E. I'm at a drive-through and want to reach into my back pocket to grab my wallet, I don't want the car rolling forward and kick it into park for a bit.

If you have a real reason why we should put it in park just before hitting the power button, I'd like to know. I don't want to intentionally hurt the car just to save pressing one extra button. I just can't see any reason for it.

Why is this a 'shame'?
I've checked the owners manual, Here's what it says...

Automatically P position selection function

When the "POWER" switch is in ON mode while the shift position is in a position other than P and the vehicle is stopped completely, pressing the "POWER" switch will cause the automatically P position selection function to operate together with the "POWER" switch being turned to off.

I wasn't aware (didn't remember) that it was OK to do this, but obviously it is. ;)

There are no warnings about harming the car (makes sense, since this is a "function"). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
don't you shift your regular car to park 1st before you turn the ignition key to off? its the same principal. the only difference is that its a button instead of shifting your shift knob to park.

·
Registered
414 Posts
With the CT, there is NO reason to hit 'P' first, then shut the car off. The power switch does it for you. Watch when you hit the power, the 'P' indicator will light up.
When I first got the car, I thought it was silly to have to hit 'P' before shutting it off, and I was right (after I read the manual).
As was stated earlier in this thread, the 'P' is to put the car into Park when you don't want to actually shut it off. I've used it lots of times - going back into the house to get something I forgot, picking up the mail, etc. etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What about the park brake?

The bigger question seems to be is in the ugly archaic foot park brake really necessary if you are parking on level ground?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The bigger question seems to be is in the ugly archaic foot park brake really necessary if you are parking on level ground?
No, but it's good to use it once in a while to keep it from seizing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you're parked and if someone is parking and bumps you hard, its better that the parking brake take the force then your gears.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
If you're parked and if someone is parking and bumps you hard, its better that the parking brake take the force then your gears.
Which is not relevant in a car with ECVT :confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
i think if you hit the power button for braking and turning the car off at the same time, then 2 inches of movement shouldn't be something you would cry about for ease of convenience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts