Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if the TPMS is required for the CT? I want to get winter rims next year and I'm not planning in moving the TPMS sensors to the winter rims so they will stay on the Lexus mags.

1) Will the absence or the TPMS sensor affect the drivability of the car (ABS breaking or traction control)?
2) I saw the theads about the sensor reset button below the wheel. Will that disable OR reset the TPMS?
3) I read that if I keep the summer tire close to the car in the garage it will register the TPMS sensors but only for a short time.
4) Is there a way to disable the TPMS warning light on the dashboard (maybe with the hidden button?)

Thanks, as always your input is much more valuable that what the dealership can tell!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Answers.

1. Driveability of the car does not change.
2. The button will not disable the TPMS.
3. The tires close to the car will usually register when you start up. Sometimes. But it's a band aid to the actual problem.
4. Black tape over the light works. haha.

Get an extra set of TMPS and get them mounted inside your snows. Or get a wheelbarrow tire, mount one inside and keep it in the trunk.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've never done it. I saw over at ClubLexus some people say it works.

If I were the op, I would get a set of OEM TPMS sensors off eBay and install them on my winter wheels. Then get them scanned by the dealer. IIRC the car will allow two sets of TPMS to be registered to the car.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Does the wheelbarrow trick actually work? Has it been proven??
You will need all for sensors in the pressurized cantainer.

I assembled this for my BMW and placed 4 TMPS inside and then pressurized.

It didn't work on my BMW however since the TMPS must be rotating before they transmit a signal to the BMW system.

I don't know if this is a requirement for the Lexus.

On my wifes car she ran all winter on snow tires without any TMPS.

When the car is in the garage adjacent to the oem rims and tires the TMPS resets.

When you drive off, the system warning light comes on again after driving about 6-8 miles.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I've never done it. I saw over at ClubLexus some people say it works.

If I were the op, I would get a set of OEM TPMS sensors off eBay and install them on my winter wheels. Then get them scanned by the dealer. IIRC the car will allow two sets of TPMS to be registered to the car.
The dealer doesn't need to scan them you reset them with the button under the steering wheel. Unlike other Lexus models the CT cannot store two sets of TMPS - it only stores one set at a time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alexandr4, I agree with goinkin. Get a set of programmable Schraeder tpms installed in your winter tires. I got mine from The Tire Warehouse in Edmonton, installed, scanned and programmed to the same code for each tire as the oem tpms, all for $75 each.

I can swap my tires over at will, no extra cost. No button pushing. No dealer required.

You are driving a new Lexus man. Please don't cheap out on yourself and drive around with an idiot light staring at you.
Best of luck in your decision.

Salty.

232 Posts
The TPMS is a monumental pain in my opinion. I understand that on BMWs you got them because you are running on RFT's. Since Lexus opted (thank the good Lord) not to equip their vehicles with RFTs, I really do not see the usefulness of the TPMS. Why can't we check the pressure with a gauge? Which it is still the recommended procedure. If you don't have TPMS installed the circuit will be open, and show as a fault on your gage. There is no compromise as to the handling of the vehicle nor the functionality of the ABS.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think they are good. This weekend I had a nail go into one of my tires which then developed a slow leak. Later on in the day my warning light went on. I went out to check the tires and you couldn't really tell if one of them were down. But when I got home the one tire was down about 5 psi. So off to my Lexus dealer and he fixed right away.

The TPMS is a monumental pain in my opinion. I understand that on BMWs you got them because you are running on RFT's. Since Lexus opted (thank the good Lord) not to equip their vehicles with RFTs, I really do not see the usefulness of the TPMS. Why can't we check the pressure with a gauge? Which it is still the recommended procedure. If you don't have TPMS installed the circuit will be open, and show as a fault on your gage. There is no compromise as to the handling of the vehicle nor the functionality of the ABS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Answers.

1. Driveability of the car does not change.
2. The button will not disable the TPMS.
3. The tires close to the car will usually register when you start up. Sometimes. But it's a band aid to the actual problem.
4. Black tape over the light works. haha.

Get an extra set of TMPS and get them mounted inside your snows. Or get a wheelbarrow tire, mount one inside and keep it in the trunk.

So if I want to install separate winter tires (wheel/tire) without TPMS, the warning indicator will be on but I can drive the car no problem?

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I had my Yaris, the TMPS controller was behind the glove box. With access to the controller, a switch can be installed to safely turn it off and on. The wiring looked like this:

If someone has access to a shop manual, they can verify if the CT uses the same Toyota TMPS controller. If it does... then it would be just this easy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.