Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I understand this is probably an unusual post, but I'm having the hardest time deducing what could be causing these marks on my steering wheel. I have about 3 of these marks (all similar in size and shape) that have developed at different times since I took ownership of the vehicle some years ago.

The marks in the picture happened last night. I remember pretty much how the night went. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm the only driver. I don't wear any jewelry, including a watch. I don't usually hold anything "sharp" in my hands when I'm actively steering. My keys are unlikely the culprit too as I clip them to my belt loop on my side. My fingernails wouldn't do this either. Ha.

This issue is killing my head on this. I can't come up with any ideas!

Any ideas, fellas?

Automotive tire Tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Automotive design Plant Automotive tire
Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Hood Steering part

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh, that looks like something was pushed/dragged along there. I'll slide my hands around as I turn the wheel, but it never does that. Let us know if you figure it out!
Yeah, I have no idea yet. I have several of these marks around the wheel. Can't see why something I would do could damage it.

You work out and have serious calluses on your hand?
Buttons on your dress shirt?
Jacket zipper scrapping when getting in and out?
Hands are fine. I don't have any calluses. I don't wear shirts that have buttons on it normally. I did wear a zip-up hoodie or a light jacket (with zipper) the night it happened, but I can't understand at what point would the zipper make enough contact with the wheel to do damage like that.

So far, the only culprit I can think of is maybe a zipper on a jacket/hoodie.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h, Red matador mica
69 Posts
Mine started doing that recently on the bottom and I wear pants with zippers often so I would assume its just a friction/abrasion thing. Doesnt seem like a very duarble material, almost like pleather.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine started doing that recently on the bottom and I wear pants with zippers often so I would assume its just a friction/abrasion thing. Doesnt seem like a very duarble material, almost like pleather.
I'm trying to figure out how your pants would be rubbing the steering wheel? Are you doing thrusting exercises while waiting at red lights? :LOL:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, just getting in and out of the vehicle.
I think that's a very likely scenario for that to cause damage. I don't personally wear a lot of pants that have exposed zippers, etc. It's possible my work pants did it because I do have a pair where the zipper track is exposed. I'll replace those pants and keep my eye on things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all!

I understand this is probably an unusual post, but I'm having the hardest time deducing what could be causing these marks on my steering wheel. I have about 3 of these marks (all similar in size and shape) that have developed at different times since I took ownership of the vehicle some years ago.

The marks in the picture happened last night. I remember pretty much how the night went. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm the only driver. I don't wear any jewelry, including a watch. I don't usually hold anything "sharp" in my hands when I'm actively steering. My keys are unlikely the culprit too as I clip them to my belt loop on my side. My fingernails wouldn't do this either. Ha.

Any ideas, fellas?

View attachment 61350 View attachment 61351 View attachment 61352
I’ve gotten that before. You definitely must’ve scraped something on it because it happened to me towards the bottom with idk what exactly either but I’m assuming mine was probably my keys or sweater zipper or just something that could scrape it when turning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My steering wheel is completely chewed up from 1 me when I first bought the car, 2 every mechanic who’s ever sat in my driver seat. The steering wheel is too low, the seat is to tall. If I have anything in my right front pocket it scratches the wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all!

Any ideas, fellas?

I did that on my old caddy accidentally rubbed my class ring where there was a few diamonds and that was my culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all!

Any ideas, fellas?

I had similar marks on my steering wheel, turned out it was from my pocket knife I kept clipped to my front right pocket on my pants. Also, if you have something in your pocket that has something of a sharp edge, possibly a phone, I might make that mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all!

Any ideas, fellas?

All I can think of is maybe the
Hey all!

Any ideas, fellas?

[/QU
Hey all!

Any ideas, fellas?

Maybe the sun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts