Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before but I am wondering if I can listen to music in the car for extended periods of time at idle in the "ready" position or do I have to worry about killing the battery?

I also have a 10" JL sub with a 200watt amp with no capacitor.

232 Posts
I was originally intrigued by a thread from a new CT owner who was asking about replacing the secondary battery for a beefer one, because he mod'ed w/ high amp and was concerned about draining his (secondary) battery, which is rather skimpy, and there is a reason why it is skimpy. Then I played with my new CT baby. And this is my assessment: the hybrid is happier if you fire her up and let her stand by in "Ready" mode. The 2ZR engine will then cycle on/off as needed to charge the traction battery. I do not believe the secondary battery will be called on to satisfy the demand in this scenario. The secondary battery's role is initially to start the 2ZR engine and thereafter the hybrid management will take over. But If you are on the accessory mode, all the demand is then supported by the secondary battery; and the hybrid management is defunct. The secondary CCA is appropriately sized to initially crank the 2ZR engine and nothing more.

If your habit is to let CT stand by in "READY" mode, your secondary battery useful life cycle will be fairly long because it is not powering any accessories. This seems to confirm from what I have read from the Prius owners threat at Toyota Nation.

This has been my experience, when I was standing in NYC street during the heat wave of couple of weeks ago. I forgot the car was on, i.e. "Ready" mode, left the A/C on w/ radio blasting and didn't realize that till 30-45 minutes later. The 2ZR engine cycled on/off no more than three times during this period. This make me believe the accessories was sustained by traction battery and obviosuly the amp rating of the traction battery is robust.

So back to your question: I do not believe there is any harm to listen to your music with the hybrid on. If the hybrid system is in "READY" state, any depletion of your traction battery will be taken care by the 2ZR engine and the inverter/converter. Remember you ain't got alternator in the baby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts