Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 12 volt battery is the critical link here. IF the car is parked and NOT locked the 12v battery could drain out to 0 volt. This happened to me on my Prius so l will not let it do it to my CT now. It was a nightmare getting to that small battery in the rear PLUS when that 12v is dead Nothing Works, no unlocking no power anything and no accessing the hybrid battery. I replaced the Toyota battery with a deep cycle at $200 a pop but, ten years is expected out of that battery. The Prius 12v died right at 4 1/2 years (it does NOT like long garage stays AND make sure you lock the car for extented down time for it cuts most power drainage to the 12v). This had happened to several owners of the Prius and they were a great help...the Dealership said "We never had this problem before" Right!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The 12 volt battery is the critical link here. IF the car is parked and NOT locked the 12v battery could drain out to 0 volt. This happened to me on my Prius so l will not let it do it to my CT now. It was a nightmare getting to that small battery in the rear PLUS when that 12v is dead Nothing Works, no unlocking no power anything and no accessing the hybrid battery. I replaced the Toyota battery with a deep cycle at $200 a pop but, ten years is expected out of that battery. The Prius 12v died right at 4 1/2 years (it does NOT like long garage stays AND make sure you lock the car for extented down time for it cuts most power drainage to the 12v). This had happened to several owners of the Prius and they were a great help...the Dealership said "We never had this problem before" Right!
For jump starting purposes, there is a terminal in the front under the hood. You can read about it in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I replace my 12-v battery EVERY 5 yrs, I don't care what type of battery I have, yes it may go longer than that but I save myself a headache when it's dead at a wrong time. My logic: let's say a new battery is less than $150 (unless we go with expensive one like OPTIMA which most cars don't need IMO), for 5 yrs then it's less than $30 a yr. The cost of NOT getting stranded is worth more than $30 a yr to me., Interstate Batteries have serve me well for my MB E-320, Maxima, Mercury Villager van ... so I stay with it

·
Registered
648 Posts
This had happened to several owners of the Prius and they were a great help...the Dealership said "We never had this problem before" Right!
Exact same thing happened to me. My 12 V battery died in my 2011 CT after only 2.5 years. When I called the dealer and described the symptoms they had no idea what was going on. I replaced the OEM battery with a yellow top Optima that is specifically made for the Prius / CT (same exact battery). Honestly I didn't think it was that hard to replace, I did both my 2011 CT and 2009 Prius at the same time, I think it was less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you know why the 12 v battery drains quicker when the car is not locked?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can change your oil once a year...easy. But as others have said, starting and running it for a while is very important at least once a month. You should just use regular (not synthetic) oil as this will coat your engine parts when they're sitting a bit better (preventing corrosion a bit better) and you're absolutely not going to break-down your oil with the amount you drive in one year. With the money you save on getting regular, cheap oil, buy some CamGuard and add that, as per bottle instructions, to your engine oil. This will help a LOT with preventing corrosion when it sits and in general anyway.

Also, I have a vehicle which I let sit for long times and have a negative terminal battery disconnect, which works great (no battery drain when it's sitting and it just twists on and off with no tools). Only problem is...this might erase all the settings and such in the CT, if the battery is totally disconnected, so just a thought but maybe not good for a Lexus.

·
380 Posts
You should just use regular (not synthetic) oil
The CT requires 0w20 oil which only comes in full synthetic.

Realistically, there's no reason to run conventional oil in any new vehicle. There's a reason 99% of new cars run full synth.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts