Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forums. Here's my first question: I drive my 2011 CT from basically April 1st to maybe the first week of December, then into storage it goes for the snowy Chicago winter. While in storage, (Once a month) on a decent day I will drive it around for a few miles to keep the Hybrid battery from completely draining. Could I go with an once a year oil change? For instance, if I do it say in June? It seems like a waste to be changing oil in both April and October like I've been doing. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Manual says every 10k miles for oil change with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
246 Posts
depends on how much you drive during april to dec really. if you dont drive more than 10000miles during that period i dont see why not, but should do once a year even if u dont drive that much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends on how much you drive during april to dec really. if you dont drive more than 10000miles during that period i dont see why not, but should do once a year even if u dont drive that much.
I'd say just under 5K miles in said time period. Only concern is that most of it is city driving.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i dont think it has any bearing if its hwy or city driving. just drive the car once every 1-2 weeks while in storage so the engine oil keeps running and not "stuck" over a long period of time, as well as running the battery for a bit

if your model is 2011, your 4yr warranty should probably be over soon, and after that there is no real mandate that you MUST do service every half year after that for warranty purposes i dont think....?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses guys, really appreciated. Love this car and would like to keep it for a long time. While I don't wanna be wasteful, I don't want to damage the engine either.

·
Registered
246 Posts
coz i am in the situation as you and i asked the dealer what to do if i store the car during the winter, he told me i should not leave it for more than a month because the oil may thicken because its staying in the same spot for a long time. he did insist that i do a service every half year even though i will not hit the mileage required. but i think for a low use car should be okay as long as you do it once a year at least.

i have an acura TLX and honda is moving their maintenance system to engine oil life percentage where they make you do service based on how much you traveled and your driving habits, no longer based on how many months since you did your last service. i do not have a sticker on my windshield saying when i have to do my next service; the system will just tell you when it is the time. that being said, the manual did state that if the system hasn't reminded you to do service, you should still do it once every 12 months anyways. so i think its safe that the same can be applied to the CT especially after warranty since it's not some turbo drivetrain in the first place that needs special and extra attention

·
Registered
655 Posts
I do the same thing with my truck. I only put 3-4K miles per year on my pickup truck and I change the oil once a year with full synthetic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do not know what type of oil used in new car, I doubt if it's synthetic... ... 10K-12K miles with syn oil is no problem

·
380 Posts
The OEM oil is 0w20. That weight is a full synthetic, doesn't come any other way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
so if i were to take the CT to a independent mechanic for regular maintenance, can i just buy my own 0w20 and it will work fine for the car? any recommended brand? and how big a jar should i get for each oil change?

·
380 Posts
Yep, you can do that. Double check the manual, but I think you need just a hair over 4 quarts, so either five quart bottles, or a 5qt jug if you can find em.

·
380 Posts
Yep, that sounds right. I haven't changed the oil on my CT yet, but that sounds right for the Prius. Same deal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, you can do that. Double check the manual, but I think you need just a hair over 4 quarts, so either five quart bottles, or a 5qt jug if you can find em.
cheapest place is to buy a 5-qt container 0W-20 at Walmart... they carry all kind of unpopular oil wt. I got Mobile 1 0W-40 for my E 320 MB at Walmart.

Yes, it's 0W-20 sync oil in my 2015 CT... just confirmed with my local dealer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheapest place is to buy a 5-qt container 0W-20 at Walmart... they carry all kind of unpopular oil wt. I got Mobile 1 0W-40 for my E 320 MB at Walmart.

Yes, it's 0W-20 sync oil in my 2015 CT... just confirmed with my local dealer
Yes. Walmart has great oil prices. I do my own oil changes on my other cars. I haven't done it on my CT yet, but from what I read it's kind of a pain. Needing that special filter removing tool and all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
someday someone would post a video clip on Utube :p
I heard that CarMart would do sync oil change for a reasonable price, but they don't use Mobile-1 sync oil

·
Registered
30 Posts
Remember to change brake fluid too every two years to avoid corrosion in calipers, it's especially important in hybrids with low brake load.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts