Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the dynamic radar cruise control / pre-collision detection system option can be (reasonably) installed by a dealer on a CT premium with navigation?

This doesn't seem to be a popular option - apparently no cars with it in the region - and I didn't want to wait for a special order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
no. Dealer's can't install it. For some moronic reason dealer's don't order them with their allocation. They are fools because I asked lots of dealers and they said "people keep asking, but we don't have any except maybe once in a while on a LS".

Gee, if people keep asking, maybe you should order what people are asking about!

Go to an Audi or BMW dealer and they have plenty of radar cruise models to pick from.

probably have to special order since the Lexus dealers are too stupid to get them in their allocation, but it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already have the car, as my wife didn't want to wait three months, so special order or another brand isn't an option.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I have the adaptive cruise control in my CT and am not a very big fan of it. The radar is very sensitive and the car simply does not have the power to accerate on the interstate. I always have to floor it to keep speed or a have an angry driver behind me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the adaptive cruise control in my CT and am not a very big fan of it. The radar is very sensitive and the car simply does not have the power to accerate on the interstate. I always have to floor it to keep speed or a have an angry driver behind me.
Good feedback. Thanks. =]

·
Registered
19 Posts
the button on the steering wheel changes the distance between you and the car in front -- see if that helps.

Yes, the radar is sensitive. It will sense cars, trucks and even motorcycles driving in front of you and slow you down so that you don't hit them. If it were less sensitive you might hit them (or at least the motorcycles).

sometimes if the driver in front is slowing and speeding up the radar cruise mimics them more than it should and it would be better if it smoothed things out better. But overall the radar cruise is great -- in most cases allowing you to just set the speed at say 70, and just follow the car in front of you at any speed btw 70 down to about 28.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
The problem is not the adaptive cruise control, it works just as designed, except the CT does not have the torque or power to maintain speed, before people behind you to get angry and tailgate you..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My rep had spoken to engineering and I was satisfied by their response. I don't rember all the details, but it seemed reasonable to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the dynamic cruise control and I appreciate for what it is designed to do. It has the logic to not slam on the breaks and not to floor the accelerator. The car is for saving fuel after all. It is not good to use in dense traffic and I think most of you will understand what I am describing. It is great for getting out on the highway for a long trip with moderate traffic, and allows me to not constantly hit the brake and reengage the cruise control. I required this option and as such, I special ordered my ct. The salesman from the dealership I ordered from, tried to dissuade me from pursuing this option, and I suspect only to make an immediate sale without the special order.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I have it on my wife's Prius and it works great. I don't have any problem accelerating on Interstate with either the Prius or the CT200h and I cruise in the left lane with whatever the current rate is , usually 75-80+

The only problem I have encountered with the adaptive cruise is when you come up behind a slower vechicle, if you are observant, it slows you down to their speed.

Come drive with me, I'll show you how to negotiate the Interstates, I have become an expert which by the way is required in Houston :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
The salesman from the dealership I ordered from, tried to dissuade me from pursuing this option, and I suspect only to make an immediate sale without the special order.
Lexus and their salesman who don't understand and won't order radar cruise are morons. The dealers should have more radar cruise on their lots but they are too stupid to order them. So then customers have to special order, and the dealers complain about that. most of them don't even know what radar cruise is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How dare you claim a car dealer is stupid.

I had this feature on my 2004 Toyota minivan and used it just about every day. Would love it on the CT, but as noted, hard to find unless you special order. Here's how I used it, however: in the city.

Where I found it most useful was on those surface roads where there are long distances between street lights and 35-45 MPH speed limits. I'd set my cruise at 5 MPH over the limit, then just hang back and let traffic take me as fast as it goes.

On the highways, I'd do the same thing, but set 10-15 MPH over the limit and then I'd go with the flow of traffic. As noted, if you get behind a slow mover, you will slow down (duh). So if you see someone going really slow, you should move over well before you normally would and then the RADAR doesn't "see" them and you don't slow down; you just pass.

Oh the joys of adaptive speed controls...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have it on my wife's Prius and it works great. I don't have any problem accelerating on Interstate with either the Prius or the CT200h and I cruise in the left lane with whatever the current rate is , usually 75-80+

The only problem I have encountered with the adaptive cruise is when you come up behind a slower vechicle, if you are observant, it slows you down to their speed.

Come drive with me, I'll show you how to negotiate the Interstates, I have become an expert which by the way is required in Houston :D
Yessir! All day, everyday - passing turtles like its nothing...in my CT!

Honestly, though, people that complain about it being too slow just don't know what a slow car is. Try accelerating from 40 to 60 in a versa or one of those eco cars...it is like hell. Also, they shake uncontrollably!

We have a double-wishbone suspension and while it isn't excitingly quick, just put it in sport for a faster throttle response and you will be on your way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts