Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my windshield cracked from a rock and the crack has gone across the entire driver side of the windshield.

What do people see as reasonable for a windshield replacement.
I have the heated/windshield deicer, no auto wipers windshield.
Safelite says $734 for replacement, but I dont think they use the proper glass.
Sewell states I can buy the windshield from them at $1000 and normal dealer price is $1,300.
I called another place that says they use OEM glass and they want $1,500 to replace.

My insurance will cover everything but $500 so I guess they will be the ones to accept a reasonable price.

Anyone get a windshield replaced recently?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If Safelite has warranty for life of its product then it's OK . Not sure what are "sensors" built in the OEM windshield.
I could be wrong but I doubt very much if Lexus dealers would carry OEM windshield in inventory,,, Broken windshield does not happen that often so it costs money for the dealers to keep OEM parts that are rarely used, IMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
If safelit quotes you at 750 be sure you have it in writing or recorded. Had the same thing happen to me (rock hit my windshield and instantly spread across the whole thing). When safelit finished they said ok your total is 1400 took me two weeks to get them to admit that they quoted me at 650(I had written down the name of the phone rep who set up the appointment date and time and told them to go back and review their records since they record their calls). Apparently there is only the oem windshield no third party aftermarket for our cars yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
251 Posts
If safelit quotes you at 750 be sure you have it in writing or recorded. Had the same thing happen to me (rock hit my windshield and instantly spread across the whole thing). When safelit finished they said ok your total is 1400 took me two weeks to get them to admit that they quoted me at 650(I had written down the name of the phone rep who set up the appointment date and time and told them to go back and review their records since they record their calls). Apparently there is only the oem windshield no third party aftermarket for our cars yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed... ALWAYS get EVERYTHING in writing... try to do that using our email then we have a trail of email records to prove our point. I went to an extra step where I copied and saved all email communication using MSWord... When there is a disagreement I send my info to the CEO of the company and I won 100% of the time

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It quotes by VIN, make, model, and selecting the options.
If you select the wrong options then the price can be wrong.
Safelite quote is on their website and easily printed.

The local place said he has 3 vendors for glass for my car.
3rd party which is thinner glass. He claims that is how safelite can be so cheap as they are quoting this.
OEM through lexus which is stamped with lexus logo.
OEM manufacture direct but then it is not stamped with lexus even though it is the exact same windshield.

As I said buying direct from Sewell is $1000 and from local dealer is $1,300.
Since insurance is paying, I will just go with the lexus stamped glass.

I am just wondering if anyone else went through this.

A few years ago the windshield on my 2004 corolla was replaced and it was only $350.

·
Registered
251 Posts
IMO... Lexus would charge more even if that's NOT OEM because of the name "Lexus dealer".... If done by Lexus dealer, hopefully you would not have any wind noise problem, only a guess

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think any lexus dealer would do glass. They would just outsource to a local windshield company or body shop. You would just be paying the lexus dealer as a middle man.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I dont think any lexus dealer would do glass. They would just outsource to a local windshield company or body shop. You would just be paying the lexus dealer as a middle man.
I tend to agree with the above statement... as I said , it's not an item that Lexus would keep in inventory. Keep in mind that Toyota does not make "parts" so they have other companies making parts to its specs... We could go after market parts, cheaper and as good,

·
Registered
15 Posts
i got a rock chip & crack new years eve. just had it replaced a few days ago. went through insurance, my deductible was $250. OEM glass and moldings were used, but the total was right around $1500. company that did it was all star glass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rock hit the windshield the other day, and yesterday cracks started to show. Called the insurance Co, Allied, and they work with Safelite.
No idea what the total is. They are using OEM and I have no deductible on glass.
While I could have chosen any shop, not just Safelite, it seemed just as easy to go with them. The windshield is being ordered, so hope it gets here soon!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rock hit the windshield the other day, and yesterday cracks started to show. Called the insurance Co, Allied, and they work with Safelite.
No idea what the total is. They are using OEM and I have no deductible on glass.
While I could have chosen any shop, not just Safelite, it seemed just as easy to go with them. The windshield is being ordered, so hope it gets here soon!
(1) small pin hole : insurance would pay 100% for Safelite to fill in the hole to prevent further damage
(2) if cracks and windshield has to be replaced then U pay deductible and Insurance pay the rest

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happy to report that Safelite did the job today. OEM glass, took 45 min. and everything seems to be in order.
Yes, my policy really does have zero deduction on replacement and also has an OEM writer attached.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got cracked windshield replaced two months back on my 2014 CT and it cost roughly $1500, this is original Lexus glass as there are no aftermarket windshield glass for CT yet, so insurance will pay whatever after your deductible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took my 2012 CT in for scheduled checkup and when my partner got it home I noticed the windshield on the passenger side had a 6" crack in the corner. He took it back and they replaced it same day no charge (cracked in the dealer service-Woodland Hills) but when I looked at it closer I noticed that the top seam was exposed with a 1/4" gap opened to the interior as if the windshield had slid down (vin number was not even visible). I checked my Lexus serivce guide and the top of the glass was way off the allowed gap...there is no frame at the top of the glass. Ended up having it redone 3 times and the service manager said that it was the first windshield he had replaced so he noted the correct specs. And no they do not do the work themselves but contract it out and that company gave us a $50 gift card to Whole Foods for our troubles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts