Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since this is ongoing, I won't go into too much detail, but I took a direct hit at the seam between the front and back passenger side doors. It was low speed, maybe 4-5 mph; no airbags deployed. The damage is not minor, however, I believe that both doors will have to be replaced! The (B?) pillar, between the doors, looks undamaged, but the bottom hinge on the rear door took a direct hit (and didn't give), so it might have been bent slightly; I hope not! I haven't been to the collision center as yet, I will know more then. I've already decided to use the collision center at Longo Lexus to perform the repairs. (I believe that they will do the best job and actually know the CT200h better than anyone else) My last experience with an independent body shop wasn't a nightmare (and they did pretty good work!), but they obviously didn't follow the procedures for proper disassembly/reassembly. They just dove in using their "general" knowledge. As a result, trim was damaged when removed and put back insecurely rather than replaced; unacceptable on the CT! I will report on how things go as they progress.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry to hear that... and on a rare yellow mica CT too.

Any pics?

I agree that Longo is your best bet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A brief update...

Upon closer inspection, the rear door bottom hinge has been pressed into the pillar! The metal behind it has "bulged" out around it somewhat, but overall, the pillar hasn't been deformed. The rear door's clearance in the bottom front corner has been reduced, however, and when I opened it, that corner dug into the (previously undamaged) trim strip that runs along the bottom edge from wheel well to wheel well. At this point, just one more thing to replace! Sigh!! :(

I'm also leery to lower the windows on either door; I don't want to risk any more damage!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not My Fault! What's the Damage?

Well, here's the update!

It has been determined that it wasn't my fault and the body shop estimates are in!

First of all, Longo has a VERY impressive collision center; a much different experience than even an independent shop that works on "expensive" cars would provide. The quality of their work has yet to be seen, but they make me VERY confident that my CT is going to be repaired properly; to Lexus factory specifications!

They called me last night with the estimate and described what needs to be done. As I thought, the doors are toast! Unfortunately (and I was afraid of this!), the "B" pillar damage has majorly complicated things. It was only "pushed in" by the rear door lower hinge around 1/8", maybe a little more, but it is deformed and, because it is ultra high tensile strength steel, it must be replaced! Much bigger job than just replacing the doors! Total estimated repair costs: just a little shy of $7000! Ouch!!

I'm soooo glad that it's not my fault! :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Scottyp461, glad everything is turning your way. Accidents suck, but that's why we have insurance. My only advise is to make sure that the estimate time to fix your vehicle is kept on target and doesn't start to shift. At the end make sure you test drive and inspected it good (including under the doors) before signing completion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, here's the update!

It has been determined that it wasn't my fault and the body shop estimates are in!

First of all, Longo has a VERY impressive collision center; a much different experience than even an independent shop that works on "expensive" cars would provide. The quality of their work has yet to be seen, but they make me VERY confident that my CT is going to be repaired properly; to Lexus factory specifications!

They called me last night with the estimate and described what needs to be done. As I thought, the doors are toast! Unfortunately (and I was afraid of this!), the "B" pillar damage has majorly complicated things. It was only "pushed in" by the rear door lower hinge around 1/8", maybe a little more, but it is deformed and, because it is ultra high tensile strength steel, it must be replaced! Much bigger job than just replacing the doors! Total estimated repair costs: just a little shy of $7000! Ouch!!

I'm soooo glad that it's not my fault! :)

Did they tell you how long it will take?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Serves as a reminder to everyone to verify your Auto Policy has rental car reimbursement.

Hope the repair goes well..
Well it is the other person's fault, so OP will get rental car even if he does not have rental car reimbursement. A few years ago I was rear ended by a Mercedes on the freeway in stop and go traffic. He got AAA insurance and they paid for everything including rental cars for me. The repair ends up taking 4 weeks. It was a good thing too since my insurance does not have rental car reimbursement.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yeah. Longo should give you a loaner car.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Ugh. But good choice with Longo Lexus. They do an excellent job and are a Lexus certified collision center.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got the car back last Saturday. It took a little longer than expected (4 weeks plus), but overall the repairs are excellent. The color match, fit and finish look original! Just a few incidental problems related to disassembly/reassembly which are ongoing. Missing or (slightly) damaged interior pieces have been ordered and being replaced. They are even replacing a couple of damaged items that I told them quite likely were pre-existing. A couple of other assembly related "errors" were easily and quickly corrected also. When finished, my CT will (almost) be back to pre-accident condition! (There seems to be an almost imperceptible "uneven" look to my roof liner, like it was handled with less than just washed hands! I'm just nit-picking now!)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Unfortunately, you need to be a nit picker when involved in something like this. If you don't deal with the little things now, they will annoy you as long as you own the car, particularly when the wreck was not your fault.

To save yourself a lot of grief, keep a notepad in the car and write down EVERYTHING that you notice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. I've been in your shoes twice before. Unfortunately one of the major problems is in the long run, the resale, as it will always show in the CarFax report. It's something insurance glosses over.

Hope everything is to your liking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts