Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to take our new CT on a road trip to visit relatives near Toronto this weekend. This entails driving on the highway for approximately 4 hours to get there, and 4 hours to get back.

We will probably have around 300 km on the car by the time we make this trip.

Will this trip damage the car? Anyone else taken a new CT on extended highway trips?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about, as long as you don't drive the same speed the whole way there. This car, like most other cars, recommend driving the car at varying speeds, but that could get quite annoying on that long of a trip for you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
don't rev too high, don't use cruise control and vary your rpms

pretty sure you don't need to think about anything else

i'm driving to toronto tonight so if i see you, i may try to pull you over and steal your car :D ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe that driving the CVT on cruise control will be less steady than a normal gearbox tranny on cruise control: when you go up or down hills, our motor will change revs to maintain the same speed whereas staying in 5th or 6th gear you're really keeping the motor at the consistent speeds. After all, its really the engine internals you're worried about in motor break-in, so don't be afraid to use cruise, just press a little harder on the fun pedal from time to time!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't rev too high, don't use cruise control and vary your rpms

pretty sure you don't need to think about anything else

i'm driving to toronto tonight so if i see you, i may try to pull you over and steal your car :D ;)
Noooo!
:eek::D

Wave if you see me o/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

We'll take the CT to Toronto, but avoid using the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Don't brake hard for the first 321.9 kms (200 miles)

Don't keep at one throttle position ( e.g. cruise control), WOT, flooring, or hard throttle for the first 1609 kms (1,000 miles).

Drive easy and brake easy for a little while :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't brake hard for the first 321.9 kms (200 miles)

Don't keep at one throttle position ( e.g. cruise control), WOT, flooring, or hard throttle for the first 1609 kms (1,000 miles).

Drive easy and brake easy for a little while :D
WOT?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

Sorry three letter acronym - WOT = Wide Open Throttle ... Putting the petal to the metal and leaving there until your engine revs up to maximum RPMs

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Yeah, all that break-in stuff is in the manual, and I recommend a longer break-in period than 1,000 miles. I believe it's 2,500 or so...better to be safe than sorry, but then again, it's your car. Good luck with the long drive!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Longer Break-in than recommended ?

Yeah, all that break-in stuff is in the manual, and I recommend a longer break-in period than 1,000 miles. I believe it's 2,500 or so...better to be safe than sorry, but then again, it's your car. Good luck with the long drive!
Just curious ..Why do you recommend a longer break-in period ? "I believe it's 2,500 or so" what does than mean "..I believe it is 2,500 or so ..." ?

again just curious ..because I just don't drive a car than hard :rolleyes: and I always break-in by the book; never had an issue in 41 years of new cars ..starting with my 1970 4-speed 442.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Just curious ..Why do you recommend a longer break-in period ? "I believe it's 2,500 or so" what does than mean "..I believe it is 2,500 or so ..." ?

again just curious ..because I just don't drive a car than hard :rolleyes: and I always break-in by the book; never had an issue in 41 years of new cars ..starting with my 1970 4-speed 442.
Seriously? What's your deal? It was a mere "recommendation", because 1,000 miles didn't sound right from what I think I read in the manual. Notice my wording, as I wasn't 100% sure of it (unlike others on forums who like claiming false facts). So, I believe what I read in the manual was a 2,500 mile break-in, but I could be wrong. It means just what I said. Again, it's your car and you can do what you want.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Seriously? What's your deal? It was a mere "recommendation", because 1,000 miles didn't sound right from what I think I read in the manual. Notice my wording, as I wasn't 100% sure of it (unlike others on forums who like claiming false facts). So, I believe what I read in the manual was a 2,500 mile break-in, but I could be wrong. It means just what I said. Again, it's your car and you can do what you want.
That was why I asked? As I stated, the manual says 1,000 miles. Look on page 158.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We did the road trip to Toronto yesterday. We took is easy (drove all the way there and back in Eco mode), didn't use the cruise control and varied the speed periodically.

The car was very well behaved ... quiet and smooth.

We averaged 4.6 L/100km on the trip. (~61 imp mpg/51 US mpg) :D I'm really pleased with the mileage we got, given that there were two of us in the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, YOW, that is great mileage. I haven't tried the Eco mode yet, humm...

By the way, is your other vehicle a plane or do you spend a lot of time at the Ottawa airport?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, YOW, that is great mileage. I haven't tried the Eco mode yet, humm...

By the way, is your other vehicle a plane or do you spend a lot of time at the Ottawa airport?
Pretty sharp ... you caught "YOW" thing :D I don't really have a good reason for picking "YOW" as a handle. :rolleyes:

So, do you knit? :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
We did the road trip to Toronto yesterday. We took is easy (drove all the way there and back in Eco mode), didn't use the cruise control and varied the speed periodically.

The car was very well behaved ... quiet and smooth.

We averaged 4.6 L/100km on the trip. (~61 imp mpg/51 US mpg) :D I'm really pleased with the mileage we got, given that there were two of us in the car.
Love it! Love it!
I just filled up and drove home from the gas station - a lot of downhill - 3.6 l/100km. It's nice to see, but it won't last.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That was why I asked? As I stated, the manual says 1,000 miles. Look on page 158.
Sorry, I guess you could have rephrased and referenced the manual in your original post and I wouldn't have suggested something different. You are correct, it is 1,000 miles per the manual. Not sure where I thought/read 2,500 miles from but in any event, that's why I worded it the way I did! :) I ended up breaking mine in for a longer duration as I drive quit a bit, so it didn't end up taking that long to do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
YOW - Yup, recreation list: knit, fly, ride and drive, just not all at the same time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts