Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any ever come across a good article/review of the different brands of gas used in Canada? I was told by my service manager to stay away from the non brand-name gasolines such as Costco, Canadian Tire & no-names. Seems most of those use blended gasolines, which can include recycled gas. He says the gas mileage won't be as good and the engine's gas components could suffer in the long run.
His suggestions were Shell, Esso and Petro-Canada. Anyone else have any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Has any ever come across a good article/review of the different brands of gas used in Canada? I was told by my service manager to stay away from the non brand-name gasolines such as Costco, Canadian Tire & no-names. Seems most of those use blended gasolines, which can include recycled gas. He says the gas mileage won't be as good and the engine's gas components could suffer in the long run.
His suggestions were Shell, Esso and Petro-Canada. Anyone else have any suggestions/comments?
I watched a "Modern Marvels" episode (History channel) about gasoline refining & distribution a while back, ALL refineries put their gas into the SAME distribution network (at least here in the US). They only separate different octane levels in the pipes. Each company knows how much they put in and takes out the same amount at the other end. At that point, each brand puts in their "special" blend of additives. So, the only difference IS the additives. I don't know if Canada is a part of this network, but I expect that it is included. I have been primarily using Costco gas in my cars for years and have had NO problems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd also add that Costco gas is the cheapest gas anywhere. They are typically 0.10 lower than most stations and with their Amex card giving 3% back you are saving about 0.25-0.30/gal. My co-workers sister works at Costco and she said they don't make money on the gas sales, it is used as an incentive for membership and to get people through their doors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only gas I was told to avoid was Race Trac. I was told they water theirs down apparently. I try to head to the nearest Hess station because for some reason, my Milan tends to rev and move better. It's also cheaper by a few cents, not that it matters.

Most times, depending on the gas, it just seems like my engine bogs a little when I hit the accelerator. I never seem to have this problem with Hess or Sunoco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts