Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Brake Squeal

Tags
brake squeal
7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  whitmanrf 
#1 ·
Had to check my front brakes out because they were squealing when the brakes were applied lightly. If i did a hard brake they were normal.
Took everything apart and cleaned/lubed it all up but still i get the squeal. (pads and rotors are good)

Is it possible that it is the 2 anti squeal shims on either side of the pads that are squealing? (rubbing together)
Anyone know if they can be held together with a small super thin layer/dab of the red high temp silicone?
I did notice a small amount or white adhesive on the inner shim that i think was holding it to the brake pad itself.( it was not attached to it anymore)

Text Diagram Line Font Joint

See less See more
#2 ·
There are many variables that causes brake squeal.
1) Contaminated pads and rotors (Once it happens nothing you can do will clean it)
2) Thickness fault in pads and rotors (Can be caused over time from inconsistent brake material, water quickly cooling sections of the rotors down causing it to warp)
3)Aftermarket and factory wheels that are coated (Painted wheels even factory coated wheels are known to cause inconsistent vibration noise.
4)Tire shine (yes this follows to number 1 and its a known problem especially on high end cars like Mercedes Benz)
5)Riding the brakes (Stop and go traffic where your foot is partially on the brakes a lot can cause it to warp like number 2)

When I had my other Lexus it would squeal nonstop with my factory re-coated wheels. Yet when I put on my track aluminum wheels the noise disappear. Replacing rotors and pads yield the same result.

#3 ·
Most of the braking in the front comes from regenerative braking from the motor/generator capturing energy and recharging the HV Battery. It's a Hybrid thing:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.