Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

Just purchased a pre-owned CT200H and took delivery this past Saturday. I traded in a 2012 Prius C for it and am really missing the various gauges to help me maximize my fuel consumption. I have a couple questions about the CT200H.

#1. Are you able to hypermile on this car? With a Prius, you can "coast" where the engine is completely disengaged and is not charging the battery or draining the battery whatsoever by slightly pushing the gas pedal down. Can you do this? Didn't seem like I could.

#2. Instantaneous MPG - I saw this in the driver cockpit area, but it's pretty hard to read. Is there something like this available on the nav unit? The nav unit only seems to show me two screens - a past consumption record, but it's more of an aggregate over time.

#3. Is there a "drive summary" after each trip? Showing how much gas I used, my MPG for the trip, etc.? My Prius C had this and I do miss it. Also, is there an average MPG per odometer setting (TRIP 1, TRIP 2)? It seems like there's only an overall average MPG setting.

#4. Regenerative braking - I'm assuming this is still on the CT... when you were braking in the "charge" mode, and not braking fully, this would use regenerative braking instead of the real brakes. Is this still true?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
313 Posts
1. Yes.

2. Yes, but both are displayed as bar graphs.

3. Nope.

4. Yes.

I also have a 2012 Prius C, and it was nice having those features. While the CT is lacking most of them, it is basically a standard Prius underneath, so almost everything else still applies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a new owner too and miss the instant mpg of the Prius. That's about all I miss though so far other than cargo room but that was an accepted variable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great questions!

#1. Yes you can pulse and glide. I am still trying to figure out what is optimal, but a good starting point is to pulse to top of ECO or bottom of POWER. My guess is top of Eco will get a little better, but I usually aim higher. As for the glide, it is really tricky to hit the no charge/no ev power spot. What I aim for depends on the grade. If grade is flat or slightly uphill (or upwind) glide with a little ev power. If more than slightly uphill, forget about pulse and glide and hold throttle load steady. If slightly downhill, hold the throttle slightly in to re-gen. The steeper the hill, the less throttle and more re-gen needed. Vary the options based on the SOC, state of charge of the battery. Over 45 MPH, pulse and glide is less effective. You usually need down hill grades to glide at higher speeds.
The OEM tires probably don't glide as well as Prius C OEM tires, so be sure to safely adjust tire pressure to what you think is appropriate. Approaching maximum tire pressure should increase ability to glide. I set mine to 40PSI because I like good compromise in comfort and MPG. (note finding an accurate gauge is not easy. My expensive gauge reads 36 PSI and my three cheap gauges are all about 40PSI. )

#2. Instantaneous MPG is pretty hard to read. Nav is not instantaneous enough, but good for showing how much hill climbing and acceleration rob you of high MPG.

#3. Yes, you can reset to find the average MPG for each trip. Go to the average that is displayed without the instantaneous read out and hold the selection button in and it will reset. Maybe it is not like the Prius. I don't know if there is an average MPG per odometer setting (TRIP 1, TRIP 2), but I reset Trip 1 after fueling and the average resets, because of the refueling, not because I reset the trip. Maybe if I held in the button it could reset for trip 1 or trip 2, but I fear it will erase the tank average.

#4. I assume friction braking usually starts when at maximum charge, but just guessing. I try to brake more lightly. The battery can probably absorb more energy if you brake sooner and more lightly with less than maximum charge.

EDIT note: gliding uphill even the flattest of grades, might not be helping MPG. I mostly do it anticipating red lights and to keep speed down for various reasons. Gliding downhill and pulsing uphill is the most effective pulse and glide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Pretty impressed with the mileage on this car. Got about 45mpg today driving into Chicago and a good chunk of my drive was at 78MPH. 5MPG above what it's rated for.

My prius c would struggle to get 46MPG doing the same drive. So glad I switched :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
it's tough to spend $$$$ on EV with 250 miles range between charge when I could get 45-50 mpg with our 2015 CT... 2016 would come out with the new Prius model?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about to find out how bad of a hit the mileage takes driving through the mountains. I know how my Prius did so will be curious to see what the ct does. I don't expect drastic differences but I might be surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts