Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to upgrade my bulbs as one is becoming intermittent and with winter here it's not good to chance it.

I don't want HID due to price and I don't want LED as suppliers are poor in the UK.

What is the best halogen bulb for the CT? You look at amazon reviews and they're all over the shop because certain bulbs will look better than stock on certain cars.

Obviously looking at your Phillips, Osrams etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
I realize you said you didn't want LEDs, but I have to say I just installed the Beamtech LEDs of Amazon and was pretty impressed for their low $40 price. Are you sure you can't get that shipped to the UK?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize you said you didn't want LEDs, but I have to say I just installed the Beamtech LEDs of Amazon and was pretty impressed for their low $40 price. Are you sure you can't get that shipped to the UK?
Yeah I can get them shipped but I don't like the blue-hint look as they put out 6500K light. Do yours look blue-ish?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not at all, it's pure white. Huge difference over the stock halogens. I have the matching fog lights as well but haven't installed them yet since it got so cold. Sometime soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had Sylvania bulbs for the past 8 years, and went through 3 sets in 135k miles. Whether or not that's considered good is up to you. To me that seems like bad quality; as in built to make you re-buy. But it is brighter than OEM bulbs (I used it on a Miata).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had good luck with these Phillips https://amzn.to/2SG3hrw, on my second set, and they are very similar to the Silverstars. Lexus also did a recall on the OEM bulbs for certain model years, and if nobody has claimed on you're VIN you might be able to have them cover them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With a 6000+ light temperature there is no blue...they are pure white. If you do go for LEDs I'd suggest the BeamTech fanless type. Fan LEDs caused EMI/RF issues for me.

·
381 Posts
I'll second for the Beamtech ones. They're great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been all through this..
HID is to expensive? i paid 8.99 and free shipping for two H11 4300k bulbs.. Already had my AC ballasts, Heads-up digital ballasts are junk and flicker, buy AC ballasts..

Why 4300k?
Well our LED DRL goes half power when nighttime driving.. Ooops we forget about this.. And woola same kelvin color aspect.. ?

okay Let's talk- LED, HID, Halogen..
CSP LED like beamtech (have em on the shelf behind me) have LED in the same position as the element of Halogen or the ampule of an HID

But, yepp there's a but.. the 180* LED offset gives a wider beam but has a hampered Forward throw in a Projecter based headlight assembly.. Projector reflective spacing from center light source is more resricted (smaller space, so shorter distance from element to reflective surfaces) hense the reduced forward throw- Physics of LEDs

HID 35watt are perfect for Projector housings..
HID ampules like Halogen element are 360 all around emitting light source.. No resrictions on distance to reflector..

The Beamtech LEDs are Excellent in Reflector housings.. and i mean excellent.. Much mor distance from light source to reflector, therefore 180* offset reduction is negligible..

Beamtech sure look cool, they do..
But i need to see the road on rainy nights..

Hope this helps everyone

·
Registered
52 Posts
okay have pics..
Still need to do fog lights..

As i said previously, our LED drive lights go Half power in the evening reducing color temp output

4300k 35watt HID with AC ballasts

Pics are taken on all auto settings with touch to auto level brightness on a couple shots for you to actually see them (these are Bright)

Not all eBay sellers are correct with their Kelvin color temp, so check feedback before purchasing

35watt HID is 3,500 true Lumens
per bulb
This penetrates everything

55watt Halogen is 1,700 Lumens
per bulb

Beamtech LED is rated 4,000 Lumens
per bulb, no way..

Intensity level in my CT (visually)
I'd give Beamtech upto 2,000 Lumens as a more favorable output level

So there ya go, this is what i see ?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
No no ?
Beam pattern is Perfect with an H.I.D. ampule, in Fact the light source is larger encompassing the full reflective housing, what does that mean? It means you have a Greater light throw and Greater beam disbursement (wide angles)

The only people saying things like you, are the people who have Never used them in a projector housing

No adjustments necessary whatsoever

Does not blind oncoming traffic

From 1700 Lumens of light to 3200 Lumens of light (per bulb), will allow anyone to see the road Clearly, even nighttime rainy wet roads i can see the cement and little pebbles.. All at only 35watts per H.I.D.

Do some research-
what was the projector housing originally developed for? Might be surprised at the answer..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Heads-up for all aftermarket H.I.D. Buyers, things have changed in manufacturing process of ballasts..

Solved intensity, flickering, and on-off issues..

BREAKING NEWS
HID Ballasts no longer capacitor drive inclusive, igniter ops only

All HID requires 2 parts
An igniter and a driver, to make HID profits manufacturers removed the drivers leaving the igniter to drive the bulb ampule. Roll the dice chance that vehicle electrical systems can drive the ballasts.

this forces all aftermarket HID buyers to purchase inline capacitor drives

So it no longer matters whether or not you purchase AC or Digital ballasts, still have to purchase in-line capacitors, adding $6 to $7 for a pair of them off eBay for your installation..
9-16v

1 - 14 of 14 Posts