Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, new to this forum and created an account in desperation. Help!

Hopefully I won't have to take it in, but it's looking more and more that way. Apologies in advance for my poor knowledge of technical terms.

We have a 2012 CT200H. Initially, our issue was that it would not start; we were able to determine that it was most likely because there was a small item (glove) stuck in the trunk door. We were able to cut around the glove and rip it out, and the trunk opened right away but the car still did not turn on. I tried it again a few minutes later - and it seemed like the car wanted to turn on, but it did not. All dashboard lights came on at once, and the car started the familiar "whirring" but did not kick on. Eventually, it got to a point where it seemed it was in accessory mode, the "check engine" light came on and the power button light was not green but Amber. We figured out that we could turn it off by depressing the brake pedal and pressing the power button, normally. The headlights and radio won't come on so I am assuming the issue with the trunk killed the battery.

The thing that is confusing us: There is a loud whirring sound that is coming from the engine while the car is just sitting there, off. Sounds like the noise that comes on when the car starts. When we depress the brake pedal, (not the emergency brake, but the regular one) the sound changes from whirring to clicking/ticking, like a clock. When I go into the engine, I found that what is "vibrating" with sound is this orange hose, as well as the tank (circled in red) filled with yellow liquid:

I'm assuming that's the brake fluid, but again... I don't know anything about cars.

We've already accepted that the battery is dead and that we will have to probably tow this thing to the dealer. The light on the power button still comes on, but no sign of life from the car.

However, is there a way to get that whirring/ticking sound from that orange hose to stop? It seems it has something to do with the brake pedal. But the car will not start, we've tried it. I'm worried that whatever is causing that sound is just draining the battery more.

Can we possibly get the trunk open manually? Would that stop the sound?

Sorry for my stupid questions, but if someone could please let me know if we're off track in our diagnosis or if there's anything we can do to stop that sound.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, new to this forum and created an account in desperation. Help!

Hopefully I won't have to take it in, but it's looking more and more that way. Apologies in advance for my poor knowledge of technical terms.

We have a 2012 CT200H. Initially, our issue was that it would not start; we were able to determine that it was most likely because there was a small item (glove) stuck in the trunk door. We were able to cut around the glove and rip it out, and the trunk opened right away but the car still did not turn on. I tried it again a few minutes later - and it seemed like the car wanted to turn on, but it did not. All dashboard lights came on at once, and the car started the familiar "whirring" but did not kick on. Eventually, it got to a point where it seemed it was in accessory mode, the "check engine" light came on and the power button light was not green but Amber. We figured out that we could turn it off by depressing the brake pedal and pressing the power button, normally. The headlights and radio won't come on so I am assuming the issue with the trunk killed the battery.

The thing that is confusing us: There is a loud whirring sound that is coming from the engine while the car is just sitting there, off. Sounds like the noise that comes on when the car starts. When we depress the brake pedal, (not the emergency brake, but the regular one) the sound changes from whirring to clicking/ticking, like a clock. When I go into the engine, I found that what is "vibrating" with sound is this orange hose, as well as the tank (circled in red) filled with yellow liquid:

View attachment 60039

I'm assuming that's the brake fluid, but again... I don't know anything about cars.

We've already accepted that the battery is dead and that we will have to probably tow this thing to the dealer. The light on the power button still comes on, but no sign of life from the car.

However, is there a way to get that whirring/ticking sound from that orange hose to stop? It seems it has something to do with the brake pedal. But the car will not start, we've tried it. I'm worried that whatever is causing that sound is just draining the battery more.

Can we possibly get the trunk open manually? Would that stop the sound?

Sorry for my stupid questions, but if someone could please let me know if we're off track in our diagnosis or if there's anything we can do to stop that sound.

Thank you.
Hello your car battery is dead. The noises and vibrating sounds are a bit scary but it is normal in this situation. The car battery is expensive and it’s about $200 at Autozone or your Lexus dealership. Replace the battery and everything should be fine.

You will not be able to open the trunk unless you open it manually. Google how to “open your trunk ct200h” someone has the instructions out there. I hope this helps ..

·
Registered
338 Posts
It’s your 12v auxiliary battery that has failed.
These cars do lots of strange things when this battery gets weak and old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing happened to me.l (2013 CT200h). A coworker sent me a video of my car in the parking lot clunking loudly every second or so. Turned out to be fixed (temporarily) by jumping the battery so I could drive to the dealership. They tested it and could find nothing wrong, but I decided to spring for the expensive (glass?) 12 volt battery anyway (since there was no reason for it to drain). No problems since.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yep. By closing your glove in your light was left on and ran the battery down. You could try and charge it and may be able to still use it. If not, replace it and all should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts