Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Battery Life/Replacement Cost:
Out of curiosity, how long (yrs) does the battery last approximately when purchasing a brand new CT200h? I have been reading reviews about the lifespan on the Toyota Prius; battery life lasting up to 10 years+ and some do not require replacement yet.

When replacement is needed, how much does it cost to replace the battery?
If replacement is needed, is it worth it to get a battery replacement or to get a brand new car?

Gas Concerns:
Can you pump the car with regular gas? Or does it require you to use premium gas?
If you are always using the green-friendly type modes on the car, how long will a fill-up of gas last?

I am in love with this car but have quite a few questions as to how this car works. This will be my first time getting a hybrid. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could give me your most honest opinion! Much thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Batteries on Toyota hybrids last the life of the vehicle. Period. They last longer then conventional transmissions and engine. The reason for this is the small change in battery state-of-charge as the hybrid is operating. You can call that change in SOC or delta SOC. By making the delta SOC small, the energy that goes in and out of the battery is small and therefore makes the life of the battery nice and long.

Lexus and Toyota warranty their hybrid batteries for 8 years of 160,000km. But battery replacements on Toyota hybrids is very very very uncommon.

The cost to replace the battery is approx $2500-$3000. Like an engine or transmission. But again. As I've mentioned. These batteries simply don't fail.

The main reason why people think these batteries would have to be replaced is because of their day-to-day familiarity with batteries of only one kind: those in small electrical items like cell phones, remote controllers, radio controlled toys etc. And with that day-to-day experience and familiarity comes the notion that batteries fail and need to be replaced.

That's not the case with these hybrid batteries.

Your second concern. The CT200h uses regular fuel. If you are DRIVING "green" in the summer/spring months you should be able to get 4.7L/100km. From the "empty light" (which leaves about 10-12L of fuel remaining in the tank) you can fill up 33-36L of fuel and that will net you about 680-720km of driving in the spring/summer/fall.

As with ALL cars, as soon as you get below 5 degC or even 0degC or -10degC, the fuel consumption is higher and sits around 5.8-6.0L/100km and nets you about 550km.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks Team Lexus for all the valuable information on battery life and why we should keep fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Team Lexus, I think you are a little high on the winter mileage.

Here in Calgary this winter I have been averaging about 5.2l/100km, 54 miles/imperial gallon, 45 miles/US gallon. I look forward to acheveing 4.7l/100km = 60 miles/imperial gallon in the warmer seasons!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow. 5.2 in winter is impressive.

Mainly because my 4.7 in the summer is with wheels that weigh 10lbs lighter (25lbs original wheels vs 15 lbs aftermarket wheels).

I get 5.6 in the winter with temps between -5degC and 5 deg C. I'd love to get down to 5.2!! Good driving Calgary John!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Must be a Calgary thing as we have been averaging 5.1 l/100km during the winter so far, with winter tires, cool (-5degC and 5 degC) but little snow on the roads. During the fall we were getting 4.6 l/100km.

Also here is a recent article that talks about the Prius battery pack and recycling, expect this also applies to the CT.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120102/RETAIL07/301029980/1147

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
When you're at an elevation of 3000' everywhere you go is downhill - that must be why you have good fuel economy !!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Still got those "ruts" in the roads? That what I remember from spending 2 years in Calgary and driving up and down Mcleod Trail - great city BTW.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you're at an elevation of 3000' everywhere you go is downhill - that must be why you have good fuel economy !!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Still got those "ruts" in the roads? That what I remember from spending 2 years in Calgary and driving up and down Mcleod Trail - great city BTW.
It can't be downhill both ways?

·
Registered
193 Posts
How many of your Calgarians have replaced your windshield already??! LOL! thats all I recall about Calgary in my time out there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2012 Ct200 and have been researching a lot about battery life as I got a great deal on a used one. Consensus is that Prius battery failure is simply very, very rare, with many lasting well beyond 200,000 miles. The few instances of failure are often attributed to blocked cooling vents or ignoring lesser problems with the hybrid system which ultimately damage the battery.

Consensus also seems to be that the Ct200 will experience similar battery life because it is a Prius C under the hood, and uses the same technology. Is this a valid assumption? The Ct gets fewer miles to the gallon than the Prius C, presumably because of greater weight (630 lbs more) and larger engine displacement (.3 liters). The battery is also slightly larger. What effect might this have on battery life? Does the increased engine size mean the battery works less, or does the greater weight mean the battery works more?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you google it you will find that on average it lasts 10~12 yrs regardless of miles and some longer. There is not such thing as it lasts life of the car. That is why there are many centers which recondition batteries for hybrid cars. If you drive the car a lot you would get more miles out of the battries.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you google it you will find that on average it lasts 10~12 yrs regardless of miles and some longer. There is not such thing as it lasts life of the car. That is why there are many centers which recondition batteries for hybrid cars. If you drive the car a lot you would get more miles out of the battries.
I agree... :) Let's hope that it would be cheaper by then since this is the trend moving forward

·
Registered
251 Posts
My car would be long traded in even by 10 years.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I always drive my car until I throw them out
1978 Monte Carlo - 15 yrs
1987 Camry LE - 20 yrs
1994 Mercury Villager - 21 yrs
1996 MB E-320 ... still driving ... it's like a tank, will last forever
1997 Maxima ... still driving... around town and winter car
2007 RAV4 ... still driving ... great car
2015 CT200h ... still driving... love this little guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts