Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

We do maybe 5 trips a week to the local supermarket - about 800m (1/2 mile) away. 1 mile round trip. Always in Eco mode. Car is usually cold, mild to warm weather though.

The ICE runs. I understand this is to warm the ICE up.

But my query relates to the battery level. Even if the battery starts full, by the time I get home (1 mile) it's down to the two purple bars level as per the display unit.

Is this to expectation? Is the ICE running to warm up while the battery does the lugging?

'11 model, 125k klm.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK checked it again tonight.

900 metres there - dropped from 7 bars to 6.
700 metres back - dropped from 6 bars to two.

Car hadn't been run for 5hrs. Summer time here. Aircon on. ECO mode. 150 metres EV running max.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but I have a thought. Could it be that the accessories (Radio, air conditioning, lights, etc.) are running off the battery power?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It very well could be grade. Your home is likely located at height that is above your local supermarket. You can easily check the origin and destination heights using your smartphone's GPS apps. Either way, I wouldn't be concerned by your battery behaviour during those short runs. ICE runs to warm and charge the battery during the start period. Even with my long trips, my battery will go down a few bars during the last mile as I slow down in my neighbourhood, and the car will run on battery primarily.

Try to run your car for a non-stop 25-30 km once in a while so that the mechanical parts remain well primed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Woodrow, acc. definitely wouldn't help.

Hi LoveCT, the supermarket is actually about 5m higher in elevation... downhill all the way home.
Yes, I won't be concerned though. Thought it was an interesting observation.

-----

I've just added a trip to the petrol station to the supermarket loop so I'll add those figures. And for this tank of fuel I won't do any supermarket runs to see what sort of consumption we get.

Home-servo-supermarket-home: cold car, hot weather, w/- aircon:
- 2 battery bars at start
- 1.1km to servo, two battery bars still. Fill up. (575km in 20 days, 34.58ltrs, 6.0l/100k, 39.1 US mpg)
- 2.0km to supermarket, battery now 4 bars
- 0.7km home, battery still 4 bars, 20min total trip time

So as the car warms up battery behaviour normalises as expected.

-------

Best fuel consumption on one tank in four months of ownership I have had is 5.24l/100k, 44.88 US mpg.
I will update in 3-4 weeks when I get through this tank of fuel. Will use our other car for the supermarket runs so I expect to get a personal record. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've got through a few tanks of fuel since I last posted, with no local supermarket runs. Averaged 42.9 US mpg.

Each tank's economy was better that any I had recorded up to that point except for the one that included mainly freeway running.

So our summation still looks OK. The ICE runs to warm up every trip. My ICE was running over the whole round trip to warm up (1 mile). The battery drained as it provided propulsion so the ICE could warm up with minimal load.

All good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts