Lexus CT200h Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely, our fuel is not as clean as yours. In fact i mention as to this in a previous post, and also recommended fuel injector cleaner monthly..

our gas stations over here are not all that clean in certain areas either, and I remarked to stay away from older stations.. ? water in tanks ?

See folks- water in gas can also take out your plugs with what we call Flashing, this leaves sediment remnants of the water minerals on our plugs that foul them out..

Thanks for the point-out on your location stormchaser, I wasn’t aware, we can only hope our petroleum distillates become as clean as yours ? but I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon..
Post proof of this seeing all gas stations are certified. Change the fuel filter every so often is a great idea. Our gas is super clean here every gas station in America by now passes federal mandated tank replacements or they are out of business. I would NEVER, EVER recommend injector cleaners. Additives are just money makers. Change the plugs yourself takes 15 min. Change the fuel filters every so often too. I've changed four in 50k miles more from age than needing it. (2012) Google US gas vs Europe. Some ridiculous comments made here.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would NEVER, EVER recommend injector cleaners. Additives are just money makers..
Really
And your reasons being?
We at Lexus have a fuel system cleaner and injector cleaner. We use this when servicing customers cars.
You show me where there are 2 fuel filters on a CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
After my gasket replacement, problem solved. Got my gasket changed after reading the forum. The crazy noise and studding started during cold “soak”. That’s when these symptoms happen. After it initially goes away after 10-15 seconds, it doesn’t come back until the car is allowed to cool down and not driven for several hours. Gasket Masters did the replacement and they came to my home and finished in 3-4 hours. Check them out on YouTube. These guys in the Northern California Bay Area were just awesome. I highly recommend them. They ensured the area was clean before and after the work was completed. Used torque wrenches everywhere, cleaned the Intake and attached their diagnostic tool to ensure the car was functioning properly - temperature was stabilizing (shows the thermostat working) - and the hybrid battery was still functioning well. I also watched them use their straight-edge to determine if the head was warped (it wasn’t -phew). Their price is a steal considering what a dealer will charge for this service. That was my gasket (pictured) and the red area is where the coolant seeped through. You can see that the other cylinders didn’t have any breakage that allowed the coolant to leak into the cylinders. Noted that like their YouTube videos mention, when the head was removed, that the affected cylinder was absolutely clean compared to the other 3 with their carbon build up of an engine with 135,000 miles. Highly recommend These guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went through the exact same thing with corporate and everything. I ended up buying an engine from LKQ and having that put in. Cost me about $1200 for a 36k mile engine. If theres anything I can help with, let me know.
Can you send me the info for the place you got the engine from, im currently having this issue now.

·
Registered
2013 CT200h, no kit alterations
11 Posts
Here is the answer; The head gasket was bad, water got into combustion chamber and caused VIOLENT misfire. Lexus changed the head gasket. Problem solved. Lexus did provide a $1500 one time good will cost sharing (my 3rd Lexus) and I paid $861.01. Regardless how senior member others are on this forum, they don't know everything. BELIEVE IT!
EXACT Same issue. EXACT same motor. EXACT same calendar, in reference to first repair, etc. EXACT same problem with error codes (13 of them) misfire, etc, after the car ran like a dream. Additionally, the place I got my last two oil changes NEVER changed the oil filter, it seems. That caused issues as well. Oh, well, here I go with the head gasket crap. Oi, Y'Voy...

·
Registered
2013 CT200h, no kit alterations
11 Posts
Can you send me the info for the place you got the engine from, im currently having this issue now.
Interesting... I was going to get a new head... Do you think that a new engine is a better option? I'd go for that...

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200h Premium Navi
47 Posts
Back in this thread again, 50k miles later, with 224k miles on the odometer.

Misfiring came back on and off over the last year. Replaced the plugs at 202k and 208k which temporarily fixed the issue each time. No coolant consumption up to 208k miles.

Beginning at 221k miles, it happened almost every cold start. Misfires go away in less than 1 min.

Beginning 223k miles, it happens closer to > 50% of all combustion starts (cold or hot). Coolant consumption is now half the expansion tank every week. MIL on, misfire codes on cylinders 1-4.

Brought vehicle for head gasket replacement quotes at 3 non-Lexus repair shoppes.

Quote 1: $3500 for head gasket replacement + $1000 for timing chain replacement (optional, recommended). Parts, materials, labour included. 1 week turnaround.

Quote 2: $2900 for head gasket replacement. Parts, materials, labour, alignment included. Oil and oil filter explicitly included as well which may not be compulsory in the job but it was offered. 1 week turnaround

Quote 3: pending

If I DIY, it’s probably $750 estimated in parts for head gasket + timing chain. Anticipates no other issues, like bent rod or machine work to minimal deck (-0.002”) the mating surfaces. Time needed is 1 week of my time stretched over several nights after work and weekend. Already have 2nd vehicle so no rental cost accrued. I’m not super young anymore but could probably handle it.

Really hate outsourcing that much for a repair on a vehicle only worth $5k.

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200h Premium Navi
47 Posts
Currently at 225,290 mi. Was going to replace the head gasket, clean EGR, replace timing chain components, and all gaskets this long weekend but work is getting in the way again. The misfires were okay for a while but have gone back misfiring at every ICE start until it clears out the water. Current consumption is roughly 1/4 the reservoir every 72 mi daily commute.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts