Lexus CT200h Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't believe that at all.
Very common occurrence on CT,Prius and Auris (UK).
None have been due to head gasket failure. This engine doesn't suffer from head gasket problems and I've never read of any either.
Questions:
Does the engine suffer from coolant loss?
Are you having to keep topping it up?
Is there any oil in the water and water in the oil?
Which cylinders are misfiring ?
Mine had this problem last winter. I cleaned out the EGR valve and pipe and used a fuel injector cleaner. The car hasn't suffered with it since. It was also a really scary bad shuddering too.
Sorry for the questions but I would investigate it more as you don't want to be paying for things that aren't required.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 177k miles on my CT and it recently started doing this almost on every start. I found out that if I put in Neutral it eliminated the vibration and shaking. I also replaced the spark plugs and it hasn’t done it since. I am planning to clean out my EGR cooler and intake manifold. Apparently this is normal based on all the Prius and CT200 threads I’ve read.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I actually work as a mechanic for Lexus as I have done for the past 10 years.
You no need to go on at me about things thanks that’s maybe out of your profession.
By telling people not to worry about it, seems a little out of norm for a mechanic. Especially with such dire financial consequences as a result of ignoring..

on to Profession
I’m a little bit higher on the totem pole
as Advisory Engineer in Research and Development..

This position allows me the benefit of advising/correcting engineers, like the design group that has drawn up the car your driving..

When you retaliate with profession, it is only apparent that you have Not read my previous posts in this thread, to understand who and what you are responding to, and just maybe we all learn a thing or two on this little Atkinson Cycle engine.

For others that do not use fuel additives- EGR can pipe valve have Nothing to do with the engine bang.. Go ahead clean your EGR it is a good thing, but it’ll still bang with a bad/fouled out plug.. a CEL will pop indicating Restricted EGR anyway, save cash clean it then..

go Back to post #57 and read from there

it is an out of order Thermal condition that takes out the head gasket

Letting these sensitive Atkinson Cycle engines bang causes many additional problems that must be addressed, it also screws up the eTrans..

one 30minute drive to the dealership with engine banging, is enough to trash this little motor..

That takes care of “doing so is pointless” statement. Although you did provide a credible point of value, with what you do at a Personal Level, adding fuel injector cleaner often ?

To duplicate the bang issue we all speak of, simply unplug a coil and start the engine..

·
Registered
338 Posts
I’m from the UK so I suspect that this model suffers in the US.
I’ve yet to come across any HG failures here. We just don’t get them coming in for anything like this.
You needn’t get so defensive with your reply to me either. I take it that a Lexus time served mechanic is no help to anyone here
Maybe you can tell me a little about your fuel over there?
Does it have any additives and cleaning agents in it?
There seems to be too many CT,s and Prius models suffering the same fate there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Absolutely, our fuel is not as clean as yours. In fact i mention as to this in a previous post, and also recommended fuel injector cleaner monthly..

our gas stations over here are not all that clean in certain areas either, and I remarked to stay away from older stations.. ? water in tanks ?

See folks- water in gas can also take out your plugs with what we call Flashing, this leaves sediment remnants of the water minerals on our plugs that foul them out..

Thanks for the point-out on your location stormchaser, I wasn’t aware, we can only hope our petroleum distillates become as clean as yours ? but I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over here in NZ, the lowest octane rate we have is 91. That said, my car has always had either 95 or 98 in it as per the manual
Lexus over here have had no issues of this type (they say) so it might well be a fuel issue.
BTW Does anyone have an opinion on 98 octane with 10% ethanol? Lexus seem to think is OK for the car and will burn cooler...

·
Registered
338 Posts
98 is ok
I’m beginning to think that US fuel is a major contribution to these known faults with the CT and Gen 3 Prius.
A good fuel system cleaner/injector cleaner would be highly recommended in this application of lengthening the life of your engines over there.
Our fuels in the UK have all the additives and cleaning agents already added but even myself I still use injector cleaner as a matter of course.
95 and 97 is only available here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely, our fuel is not as clean as yours. In fact i mention as to this in a previous post, and also recommended fuel injector cleaner monthly..

our gas stations over here are not all that clean in certain areas either, and I remarked to stay away from older stations.. ? water in tanks ?

See folks- water in gas can also take out your plugs with what we call Flashing, this leaves sediment remnants of the water minerals on our plugs that foul them out..

Thanks for the point-out on your location stormchaser, I wasn’t aware, we can only hope our petroleum distillates become as clean as yours ? but I don’t think that’ll happen anytime soon..
Post proof of this seeing all gas stations are certified. Change the fuel filter every so often is a great idea. Our gas is super clean here every gas station in America by now passes federal mandated tank replacements or they are out of business. I would NEVER, EVER recommend injector cleaners. Additives are just money makers. Change the plugs yourself takes 15 min. Change the fuel filters every so often too. I've changed four in 50k miles more from age than needing it. (2012) Google US gas vs Europe. Some ridiculous comments made here.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would NEVER, EVER recommend injector cleaners. Additives are just money makers..
Really
And your reasons being?
We at Lexus have a fuel system cleaner and injector cleaner. We use this when servicing customers cars.
You show me where there are 2 fuel filters on a CT

81 - 91 of 91 Posts