Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealer confirmed the engine needed significant repairs. The quote was over $5000 with several unknowns that could be more. I can not understand how such a failure could occur. We were always on top of maintenance and had been running smoothly for years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick update. So I took my car to Lexus of riverside and it's still there. They confirmed that the head gasket was bad, needs new intake manifold, and an ecu flash. The quote was approximately 4400.00. I talked to Lexus corporate and advised them of the issue. Now I'm waiting for a case worker to call me back to see if they will cover cost of repair.
I completely agree with the confusion and honestly frustration with how this is happening with a lot of the same type vehicles IE prius. They also have a forum and are complaining about the same issues.
Anyway I'm still waiting to get a call back from corporate. I'll come back and update you guys on what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jody I would call corporate and bring let them know. It's going to take for everyone who is having this issue to call them so they can find some sort of solution. I held toyota / Lexus to higher standards and this is just ruining it for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update....

Lexus corporate did NOT want to help because my car is not under warranty. Sssooo now I am stuck with this bill and this car. Hhhmmmmm. Sorry Lexus but I think I'm moving on to bigger better things and not toyota or Lexus anymore. Well happy holidays.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man so sorry to hear that abe. I was really hoping my CT would last 200k miles.
We took great care of ours, performing all scheduled maintenance at the dealer. all oil changes ahead of schedule.
My old Mazda hatchback lasted several thousand miles before having this type of issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried to justify the engine repair as a fixed cost, so add $5000 plus anything else in there that might be damaged from this gasket leak but hasn't failed yet, as well as the anticipated battery replacement in a few years. This car would end up costing a lot more than it is worth in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried to justify the engine repair as a fixed cost, so add $5000 plus anything else in there that might be damaged from this gasket leak but hasn't failed yet, as well as the anticipated battery replacement in a few years. This car would end up costing a lot more than it is worth in my opinion.
Definitely not worth it. I still strongly suggest calling corporate and making a complaint so that when someone who is "legally" savvy could file some sort of a suite and everyone who had this manufacturer issue happen to them can get so sort of reimbursement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went through the exact same thing with corporate and everything. I ended up buying an engine from LKQ and having that put in. Cost me about $1200 for a 36k mile engine. If theres anything I can help with, let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently, I too have a "Bad Head Gasket" in my 2013 Lexus Ct200h (although I need to pay $1,200 for them to fully diagnose it). Lexus gave me an initial quote of $7,500 to rebuild my engine, which only has 113k on it. I bought this car less than 3 years ago, Certified Pre-Owned, and had it maintained at Lexus. I was so happy about this car when I got it, and now I really have to say, this is my family's last Lexus. This is the worst car experience I have ever had. Let me know when the class action lawsuit starts as according to Lexus this is "not a known issue".

·
Registered
192 Posts
Apparently, I too have a "Bad Head Gasket" in my 2013 Lexus Ct200h (although I need to pay $1,200 for them to fully diagnose it). Lexus gave me an initial quote of $7,500 to rebuild my engine, which only has 113k on it. I bought this car less than 3 years ago, Certified Pre-Owned, and had it maintained at Lexus. I was so happy about this car when I got it, and now I really have to say, this is my family's last Lexus. This is the worst car experience I have ever had. Let me know when the class action lawsuit starts as according to Lexus this is "not a known issue".
Nice 1st post!

Sadly .... I'm in the same boat for the "last lexus" thing. This really has put a bad taste in my mouth. I come from a house hold where all we own are Lexus and Toyotas. This experience has forced my hand, and I am now a proud owner of a 2015 Honda Fit as my new DD. My CT will be put up for sale within the next few weeks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice 1st post!

Sadly .... I'm in the same boat for the "last lexus" thing. This really has put a bad taste in my mouth. I come from a house hold where all we own are Lexus and Toyotas. This experience has forced my hand, and I am now a proud owner of a 2015 Honda Fit as my new DD. My CT will be put up for sale within the next few weeks
Yeah long time lurker, first time I have something of value to post. Sadly I still owe too much on my CT to walk away right now and buy another ride. Perhaps I'll fix it and try to sell it to break even. It's crazy that this is an obvious defect with the gen 3 engine, yet Toyota/Lexus refuse to do anything.

Any suggestions for how to best fix it? Should I get a used engine from LKQ (or somewhere) and do a swap, try to have a shop repair the head gasket, or have the engine completely rebuilt (Lexus dealer said to do this).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently had the same issue but we have come across two things- first of all, my CT200H has had meticulous service and maintenance all performed at the dealership. We noticed some TSB issues for direct injection IS250 Models that we’re having success by cleaning the intake valves with Walnut shell media (widely known in the BMW world) We first did the Seafoam treatment and incredibly ALL of the cold start engine rattled disappeared. We now have a walnut shell cleaning scheduled(not at Lexus) which is 3800.00 cheaper than the head gasket replacement.
I also Phoned Lexus corporate and had a chat with them as liking why there is TSB for this since it is obviously and issue. She escalated my open file and when I talked to our service writer, he said Lexus will give us a 15% discount on all repairs for this issue. So the squeaky wheel is getting the grease. We will be getting a fuel induction cleaning after the walnut shell thing. Carbon
Buildup is HUGE with this car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took my 2012 ct200h (131k miles) into a local shop for a head gasket replacement due to engine misfiring. It will take about over a week to get my car back. They also said they have to send in the block to a machine shop to rethread part of the block? It's costing me $3250 at a local mechanic. Plus another $250 for a ignition coil replacement which did not resolve the check engine light diagnostic, plus another $300 for a car rental since I need to car to get to and from work.. Extremely disappointed that these engines are not well built.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Posting from SoCal:Does the engine suffer from coolant loss? Yes.Are you having to keep topping it up? Yes.Is there any oil in the water and water in the oil? No.Which cylinders are misfiring ? 1 and 2I changed all 4 spark-plugs about 3k miles ago, car currently has 115xxxK miles, the shuddering is back with a vengeance! After the spark plug change, car ran like a champ until yesterday. Then my check engine and check hybrid system light came on. Stumbled upon this forum and registered this morning.Can I replace just the gasket and coils? First hybrid and this has me worried. Bought the car with 90k on it, and have taken it to the dealership for service every 5k. If they want 3k to fix it, well I'll be needing a new car. :|

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably your head gasket...I had the same shudder, did the spark plugs, was driving to get coils and BOOM. Engine blown. Car threw a rod and I have a nice hole in the back of the block. :'(Trying to find an engine and shop that won't cost my soul, got the car with 90k on it, 115K and it's dead in the water. Water got into the engine, I had misfire codes for cylinders 1 and 2, and then "random" would show up from time to time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings. Im much more cooled out now that my 2013 CT200H is gone. I posted before about what happened, but got pissed and deleted everything with the intent of bashing Lexus.

Long story, short, my 2013 suffered a catastrophic engine failure at 127k miles. The initial indication was misfire on cylinder 1 and 3, then after 3 trips to the dealership service, a headgasket change.

2.5 weeks later, my #1 and #3 piston rods failed, causing the timing chain to break, and the cylinder heads to smash two spark plugs so hard the threads were damaged. This is what was written in my tech notes, so dont blast me if you agree things dont sound right.

I called Lexus HQs who declined to help out at all, and told me although my car was not out of warranty for time, it was out of warranty for mileage. I asked if that meant nobody should expect these cars to last more than 100,000 miles, and they declined to admit that.

My warning to everyone; stay away from these cars and any car with this motor in it! You will receive no help once the motor suffers a catastrophic failure! I would not put another motor in it, because it will suffer the same fate. If you dont think it will happen to you, dont worry, I thought the same until the day my wife called me stalled out after just getting off the freeway on the traction battery only. She had our 2 year old son in the car. Lexus reps didnt give a crap about anyones life, and that the car was essentially junk.

I sold the car to a company for $3250, and cut my losses.

Ask me to post any paperwork you wish, and i will do it. For the record, this car was only serviced at LEXUS DEALERSHIPS on schedule! The service rep repeatedly told me this shouldnt have happened and the cars service history was impecable.

Stay away from these cars!

21 - 40 of 91 Posts