Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't cars equipped with navigation display guide lines in their backup monitors? However, cars equipped backup monitors in their rear view mirrors do display the guide lines? Seems odd to me. Do others find this odd as well?

Grid lines.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I've never seen this in person, but are you comparing apples to apples? (i.e. are the cars with NAV monitors made by the same manufacturer as the cars with the rear view mirrors)? My wife's Pilot has a backup camera display in the mirror and there are no guidelines.

All of the cars that I've owned in the 20 years that I've been driving have been sans back-up display, never mind display guidelines and I've managed just fine parking without them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why don't cars equipped with navigation display guide lines in their backup monitors? However, cars equipped backup monitors in their rear view mirrors do display the guide lines? Seems odd to me. Do others find this odd as well?

Yes, I find it VERY odd too! The last couple vehicles I owned equipped with rear view camera and all have the guidelines but this Lexus navi equipped backup camera doesn't have one. But the rear view mirror that equipped with camera does! WTF!

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's been discussed a few times ... Theory is that litigation Stuff has interfered ...

UK spec reversing cameras get the guidelines (I have yet to try the reverse park one) but US spec does not. Not heard a sensible explanation for the difference yet though outside of lawyers spoiling the party.

There's a few other software differences between UK spec and US spec, Enform integration and XM are two I can think of. I suspect if someone finds a way to reenable the guidelines, it'll be all over this forum :), if you find one let us know :cool:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen this in person, but are you comparing apples to apples? (i.e. are the cars with NAV monitors made by the same manufacturer as the cars with the rear view mirrors)? My wife's Pilot has a backup camera display in the mirror and there are no guidelines.

All of the cars that I've owned in the 20 years that I've been driving have been sans back-up display, never mind display guidelines and I've managed just fine parking without them.
Apples to apples. Both are Lexus options -- No guide lines with the navigation option. Guide lines on backup monitors in rear view mirror option.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also on vehicles with the parking sensors. Both Matt and I looked all over to see if we could find if there was a switch in the screens to turn them on, but found nothing. The manual shows them with the ones that have parking sensors.

·
Registered
180 Posts

This is a big miss by Lexus.

I get guidelines in my rear view mirror. I use them frequently. They really help center the car when backing into a parking space.

The much more expensive NAV option should definitely have them too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A friend of mine has an Acura TSX, 2011 and the navigation in the dashboard does show back-up lines with the camera. Odd that our premium Nav equipped CT200h vehicles don't display the lines. Not that big a deal but it would be nice. Acura has it, so why not Lexus?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
A friend of mine has an Acura TSX, 2011 and the navigation in the dashboard does show back-up lines with the camera. Odd that our premium Nav equipped CT200h vehicles don't display the lines. Not that big a deal but it would be nice. Acura has it, so why not Lexus?
You can also enter navigation destinations and phone numbers while the Acura is in motion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can also enter navigation destinations and phone numbers while the Acura is in motion.
I really enjoy those features on my Acura TL especially the navigation with no lockout while the car is moving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Somehow my Canadian 2012 F-Sport has the backup lines in the display. (Display is on the mirror).

Backup Camera.jpg

Can anyone else in Canada (or more specifically with a 2012 in Canada) comment on this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if Lexus is customer driven to excellence in fit, finish, and service and then hampered to death by their legal department? I would have no problem clicking a waiver statement on the navigational screen in order to enter destinations and lookup phone numbers while moving in traffic. As for the lack of back-up guide lines on the navigational screen, I see no logic not to have them displayed. What a major oversight by the people at Lexus. Perhaps the lawyers feel that guide lines built into the rearview mirrors are satisfactory, but should not be available in the more expensive built-in navigational system for safety reasons. I know when I picked up floor mats for my CT from the parts department I had to listen to a little lecture from the parts guy that the floor mats must NOT be placed on top of any other floor mats and I must have them properly secured to the floor. He was quite emphatic and after his dissertation, I was almost waiting for him to hand me a waiver to sign acknowledging this floor mat warning. Is this good service or just CYA?

·
Registered
414 Posts
That display is the mirror, not the Nav system display. The Nav system does not have the backup lines.

Somehow my Canadian 2012 F-Sport has the backup lines in the display. (Display is on the mirror).

Can anyone else in Canada (or more specifically with a 2012 in Canada) comment on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
USB Port?

Hey

Does anyone know if there is more than one USB port? I'm already tired of have to remove my iPod and cable every time i get out on the car

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey

Does anyone know if there is more than one USB port? I'm already tired of have to remove my iPod and cable every time i get out on the car
Again, a glaring omission by the designers. Audi can put an ipod dock in the glove box, why cannot Lexus do the same? Somewhere on these fora there is a write-up by a guy who got his USB port transferred to the storage bin between the front seats.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should check through the TIS? software for the ability to enable the lines.

The forum member who installed the shock tower bars wrote about how you can download the software for free and buy a low cost connector to connect a PC to the car. That's where it should be possible to enable the lines on the NAV screen.

Someone should try this and let us know. My car isn't here yet and I don't have windows.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Also on vehicles with the parking sensors. Both Matt and I looked all over to see if we could find if there was a switch in the screens to turn them on, but found nothing. The manual shows them with the ones that have parking sensors.
USA 2010 Prius model V with Advanced Technology Package ( Lane Keep Assist, Pre-Collision, Assisted Parallel Park, Radar Cruise) which has parking sensors, does not have lines in backup camera.

Most of the time I turn around an look; when I had lasik done I had them also burn-in a distance grid :p:rolleyes: ... I have found this system to be fool-proof ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Too funny with the build-in grid lines in your eyes... I bet the guide lines help you from bumping into walls when walking forward as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Late to this thread (but hey I just got my car!) I too am disappointed there are no guides in my signifcantly more expensive nav-equipped model. I thought for sure mine must have just been diabled or something. Guess not. Oh well, that really makes the rear view camera a lot less useful though. There really should be some type of "firmware update" to fix this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts