Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cold snap that's affecting a good portion of North America is going full blast here. Brrrr.jpg
Thanks to the engine block heater there was no problem starting up this morning. Other than a few rattles from the dash there were no adverse effects of the extreme cold. Fuel consumption is way up, of course.

Environment Canada says the temperature is -34C (-29F) but as the photo shows, the readout in the car is only -31C. Does anyone know if -31C as low as the display goes?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The cold snap that's affecting a good portion of North America is going full blast here.

Thanks to the engine block heater there was no problem starting up this morning. Other than a few rattles from the dash there were no adverse effects of the extreme cold. Fuel consumption is way up, of course.

Environment Canada says the temperature is -34C (-29F) but as the photo shows, the readout in the car is only -31C. Does anyone know if -31C as low as the display goes?
Ouch ! That's cold

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How CT is doing in such temperatures, any problems? Do you use grille block?:)
No problems. However, last winter the intake manifold was replaced because of a loud knocking/rattling from the engine after a cold start. With my car the knocking seemed to occur when the car had been in EV mode when the power last had been turned off. The new manifold seems to have done the trick, although the other morning I detected brief knocking when starting at around -24C (-11F).

When I owned a Prius I used sections of pipe insulation to block the grille. The F-Sport grille doesn't lend itself to blocking, so I haven't tired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone installed a block heater on their CT? Is it a good idea?

I purchased a 12 CT200h from a friend a few months ago and it doesn't have any symptoms or signs of the EGR valve issue. I'm still getting around 42 US MPG right now during the summer.

I only realized a few years ago about the benefits of installing a block heater, especially when for a few days in winter, when temperature can drop below -15C (5F). I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada so sometimes it can get really cold. I only use the block heater on days where it's -10C or colder and only for about two hours before heading out.

I had factory block heater installed on a RAV4 Hybrid, bought new. Also factory block heater (dealership installed) on an 11 Accord (also bought new) just two years ago.

Just wondering if it makes sense. The CT200h will be parked outside, unlike our other two cars in the non-heated garage. I plan to keep the CT for a good while, at least five to six years, if not more and don't mind plugging it in two hours before use, using a smart plug/outlet.

Would appreciate any recommendations or advice. I'm using Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage motor oil as this is the car that is most frequently used.

Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts