Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Like most people, I'm attracted to this car because of the fuel efficiency and looks. We already have a SUV for "family outings", but for the CT200h owners, anyone tried fitting a baby car seat in the back? Does it fit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd like to know this myself. I'm tempted to bring my baby seat and the BOB stroller and see if they fit.

I did go to a dealer near me on the way home from the shop just to pop in and see one.
I asked the salesman if he thought a stroller would fit in there. He proceeds to put down both rear seats. Then i ask him where the baby seat would fit. His reply was "Lives about compromises." Really?
I gave him the :unamused: face and walked out of the dealership.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we're not even parents yet, so I don't really have any experience with how much room we'll be needing. That is a little concerning regarding the lack of space. I'm starting to understand why my friend has two SUVs!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting question: I'm still waiting on mine, but I test drove one and sat in the back seat to think about this and general passenger feel. The back seat is okay, but nowhere near the room of the front seats. I'm not even that tall (5'9") and when I sat behind the driver's side when I had the drive side seat in a comfortable position, the back seat was not great in terms of space.

I think the CT200h isn't really being made or marketed for the "family" market. Frankly, if you are looking for a great hybrid with family in mind, you may want to wait and compare this one with the Prius V minivan. You'll get similar mileage (if not better than the CT200h) and you'll be pretty much guaranteed great amounts of space for family outings. Oh hell, just go for a fully loaded 2011 Prius. I'm currently a Prius owner and they are much roomier than people give them credit to be.

Now, that said, if you are looking for a sporty car for you where you might put a baby seat in the back from time to time, well, I'm sure it will fit. Just won't be roomy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No more babies in my house, but if needed, you can flip only half of the seats, so I wouldn't see this as a problem. Best thing is to test drive and try.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm definitely concerned about this as well. My wife and I don't yet have children but will probably start trying later this year. I'm hoping there is enough room to fit one rear facing child's seat, a stroller, and a few small suitcases so that we can take the 40+ mpg CT on trips instead of my 22mpg '10 4Runner all the time*. My wife and I are both 5'8" and slim, so the seat space in the back is pretty good when adjusted for us in the front seat.

I like the Prius and Prius V well enough, but I really love the interior of the CT.

*Our other car is a MINI Cooper S that my wife is in love with and refuses to sell, so that doesn't help our child-toting situation.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I'm definitely concerned about this as well. My wife and I don't yet have children but will probably start trying later this year. I'm hoping there is enough room to fit one rear facing child's seat, a stroller, and a few small suitcases so that we can take the 40+ mpg CT on trips instead of my 22mpg '10 4Runner all the time*. My wife and I are both 5'8" and slim, so the seat space in the back is pretty good when adjusted for us in the front seat.

I like the Prius and Prius V well enough, but I really love the interior of the CT.

*Our other car is a MINI Cooper S that my wife is in love with and refuses to sell, so that doesn't help our child-toting situation.
You will not get a stroller AND a few small suitcases in this car without folding the rear seats:mad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
You will not get a stroller AND a few small suitcases in this car without folding the rear seats:mad:
I'm OK/expecting to have to fold one of the seats forward or put the two carryon bags in the seat beside the child's seat. These are suitcases that are meant to fit in the back of my wife's MINI, so they are pretty small. Basically just enough clothes for two nights visiting my parents.

I'm also an avid cyclist, so I want to install a receiver for my hitch mounted bike rack and I figure that I could also use one of those small platforms if I'm dragging a cooler or similar along. (I plan on getting one for my 4Runner anyway.) I should just borrow my 8 month old niece for a day and test out the CT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 4 year old fits fine in his large front-facing car seat. Though, he loves to kick the back of the passenger seat and to hold down the his door lock to negate the power unlock when I'm trying to get him out of the vehicle. I can deal with those fairly minor annoyances. I can also fit a jogging stroller in the back without folding down the seats but it is a very tight fit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Decent fit for two child seats

Had my 7-year old son on the booster seat on one end and 5-year old daughter in her full-facing seat in the back. You have to place the seats closest outward to have enough clearance to lock the seat belt in. A minor nuissance is kids feet lightly touch back of front seats and they can reach over to each other. Check out the pics. But overall, not too bad. I'm considering going on a long trip with wife and kids instead of our Venza to save 60% on gas, but the key ingredient to any successful long trip, regardless of how large the back seat is, is the hookup of the portable DVD at the back!;)

For the trunk (and rear seats up), buy one of those light portable collapsible strollers (usually under 25$) which takes a lot less space than the daily bigger collapsible strollers which has the bottom grocery shelf basket, cup holders, dual wheels at each corner, etc :D and you can still fit a large suitcase + smaller one, with maybe a bag or two to crunch in the nooks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, it's doable. And note in the pic you can still clip on the belt in the latch. The engineers did a good job with placing them to the center as much as possible to ensure a car seat would not cover them.

I had an old TL as a winter car with a roomier back seat (about 3 inches more legroom and 1 inch wider in backseat width), but the belt latches were placed too far outward from the center position resulting in the car seats sitting on them. Everytime the kids had to buckle themselves, I'd have to help pull the seat outward to clear the latch.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Rear Facing seats will be difficult to "fit" without giving up front seat comfort. I tried to fit your baby/infant seat in the car after my wife and I both set our seats in a comfortable position, but no luck. And on top of that, the "puppy" will not fit in it. She is really not a puppy being 120+ lb Great Dane :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have put a rear facing seat in the back seat, and the holster fits fine, but we have to move the front seat forward when we put the cradle in the holster. I'm 5'10". Front facing seats should be fine. I'll put the holster on the non-driver's side in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear Facing seats will be difficult to "fit" without giving up front seat comfort. I tried to fit your baby/infant seat in the car after my wife and I both set our seats in a comfortable position, but no luck. And on top of that, the "puppy" will not fit in it. She is really not a puppy being 120+ lb Great Dane :)
Really appreciate the feedback you guys are providing regarding this. Perhaps will have to give this some more thought before jumping into the CT200h.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jase, personally if it meant between the car seat and the CT, please make the right choice and get the CT. Surely you can buy a new rear-facing car seat that might be smaller to fit! Good luck ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jase, personally if it meant between the car seat and the CT, please make the right choice and get the CT. Surely you can buy a new rear-facing car seat that might be smaller to fit! Good luck ;)
Yeah I really like the CT. Sat in it at the Toronto autoshow and loved the balance between the economics and the feel of the car. We already have an Acura MDX and it serves well as a family car, but I'm a little concerned if the SUV is out of commission what to do with the small interior of the CT.

Noticed that on the thread - What age demographic is the CT attracting - how so many of my fellow forum members are in their 40-60's. Nice to have kids that are grown up already. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
We got the Venza as the family hauler, but the CT has more than proven itself with the kids in the back seat and dare I say for a long trip. We'll be trying it to Montreal (600km) at Easter weekend to visit family.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I have been considering a CT200H for a few weeks now. Our background: We've been driving a manual-transmission 2003 Matrix for about three years and are totally sold on Toyota reliability and low maintenance cost. In fact, I'm floored at how well put together the Matrix is and how reliable it has been. Especially when you consider that it had 160,000 KM when we got it and it's now over 190,000. But now want to replace the Matrix, mainly because my wife prefers driving automatic (especially with kids strapped in the backseat) but also because I feel that the resale on the Matrix will start dropping exponentially if we hang onto it much longer. So, it's a good time to sell it.

Most importantly, we have a 3-1/2 year old and are expecting our second in Feb/12. So, back seat and cargo space are a priority BUT we do not need a huge SUV or crossover etc - the Matrix has ample space, and with a compact hatchback you simply learn to carry what you need when you need it. I mean, really, 95% of the time the car is barely filled. For the 5% of the time you need to go to Costco, on a road trip, or for a hike etc you just pack accordingly (we also have a new Nissan XTerra, my work vehicle, and can tell you that once you have a vehicle like that you tend to overpack and spend oodles on gas carrying around things you don't need).

I do most of the driving, am into cars, and have been following the progress of hybrid and electric technologies for years now. Waiting for a chance to get on board! So, when I came across the CT200H a few weeks ago (having has stopped at the Lexus dealer researching the 400h - decided against it..) I was taken aback at (a) how "cheap" it is, esp for a Lexus, and (b) how much you get for the money. My first urge was to plan on buying it. Until I opened the hatch, and saw how small it is compared to the Matrix, and sat in the backseat (also smaller). However, once I sat it in my love for it increased and I thought "maybe we can live with less cargo space and also make the two baby seats fixed).

So, I decided to do a real life test. Starting with the test drive of the fully loaded version. Yesterday the dealer let me take it out for over an hour, by myself (the premium package, leather, etc). After driving leisurely by the ocean (here in Vancouver, BC, Canada) and then picking up my wife for her to try it, I was simply devastated by how much I like it!! I haven't a single complaint about how it drives - it's amazing, handles like a dream, is a pleasure to drive, and has the most comfortable driver's seat I've even been in (the latter is a HUGE priority for me). Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am 6'2". The bottom line is that if I am going to be stuck in a car for 1-2 hours each day this is the car for me. My wife was neutral with how it drove (she preferred an XTrail we recently tried.. another cool vehicle, but a different breed entirely. Not available in the US, incidentally), and was mostly concerned with the lack of visibility out/around the rear pillars and rear window and cargo and baby seat space.

So, this morning I went back to the dealer with the rear-facing seat and our bugaboo cameleon stroller to see how they would fit. To make a long story short, the baby seat negates our being able to get this car. With the passenger seat moved up about half way, and the seat back reclined more than average (how my wife would sit) the seat will not click into its base. It was very deflating, as I would dearly love to own this car as our next. But, not to the point where I would ask my wife (or I) to sit uncomfortably in it for hours on end just so we could have a CT200h. The only other option would be to see if anyone makes a more compact rear-facing baby seat, but I can't imagine it would make a huge difference.

A photo of the back seat *almost* clicked :

I'm holding out some hope that battery/design innovations over the next year allow Lexus to increase the size of the CT200H by 10-20% (making it the size of a Matrix) for 2013 or that they come out with a slightly larger hatchback (but not a crossover). What do we do now? I'm researching the Prius V and plug-in Prius (will it really come out next summer?) and may consider them (I'm only buying Toyota or Nissan. Looked into BMW, Audi, and Mercedes wagons and the operating costs are scary. Esp after the warranty is up. I'm not going to pay through the nose just to look like a big shot. To me German engineering, as far as cars go, now seems like an oxymoron..). The problem now is that I'm sold on the luxury of the Lexus such that getting a Toyota - simply in terms of luxury - may seem like a compromise.

The CT200h is the new benchmark for me, even though we can't justify one. I'll keep you all posted on what we do, but will leave you with this: If you need a car of these specs/size, don't have kids, or have a kid who is already in a forward facing seat (and don't plan on having a second child) then buy this car in a heartbeat. It's in a league of its own in terms of cost, luxury, drive, and (Toyota) reliability!

Hi guys,

Yesterday we went with my wife(who is pregnant to our first baby) to test drive the CT I had orally ordered(meaning I haven't yet payed sth in advance).We were till that time pretty enthusiastic about this car and literally couldn't wait to do it our own!!
I was overwhelmed by the general performances of the car and wanted to buy it immediately,but it not escaped my attention the tears in my wifes face that brought me back to earth.
The reason was that she expected it roomier and at first sight the car doesn't seem to fit with comfort baby stroller(one or even two after 1-2 years) back in the trunk of the car,as the 375 litres of space seem to be causing problems to our needs.Also,she noticed that when in few months we'll set the baby seat in the rear seats of CT,there will not be enough space for the baby feet(I suppose she means when baby becomes a year or so) till they reach the front seats.
I know that one solution is to see for myself if they really fit or not into the car(by having another appointment with my car dealer),but since then do any of you confronted the same issue as me?Do any of you have newborn children and your only family car is CT?At the end, is CT a family car or should I look elsewhere?
I'm really troubled with this guys and I'm really expecting sth positive from all of you:(..
Crossing my fingers and wait for answers..Thanks in advance and sorry if I were a chatterbox:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts