Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my second-to-last fill up, and after resetting the AVG mileage display, it was reporting 34 mpg after driving about a 1/4 tank of gas. I checked the consumption with a calculator and actually MPG was 32. This was all city driving.

After filling up, I drove about 50 miles on the highway. The AVG gas mileage display reported close to 41 MPG, but all subsequent city driving has dropped that number to 38MPG, still trending lower. I've been driving like a grandmother in the normal mode (not eco, not sport) Two questions:

How accurate is the AVG gas mileage display? What would account for such poor city mileage?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found that the mileage display is optimistic by about 5-10%. I have never driven a car with an accurate MPG display. The only way to know the mileage is to track it with miles / fill up. Even then, you have to go through several tanks so that the little errors (how full it gets, gas pump variations, temperature, ....) average out. (fuelly.com is your friend).

I am not sure why you would be getting poor mileage. The mileage definitely goes down in cold weather but that is only for shorter drives. My worst tank is 41, my best is 46.

Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I find when I make all short runs involving stops at every few corners my mpg averages about 39. And that's without jack rabbit starts and an effort to keep the blue light on. When I get on some open road and can cruise for a while, my mpg will go up, my all time high is 51.5. The bottom line is every time you push off from a dead stop, you use gas.
(unless you creep along at about 15-20 mph until you gradually build up speed - not likely)
I was surprised because in town driving is advertised to get slightly better than hwy mpg. I guess in town and city (constant stops and starts) are two different things.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You know that if you are just looking at the mpg since fillup, you don't even have to reset the AVG MPG. The screen before the AVG MPG shows you the mpg since filling up. Anyway, I found the computer's MPG about 3mpg higher than when I calculate on my own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I come from a 2010 Prius so it is easy for me to apply the standard pulse and glide techniques to the CT, especially since it uses the identical power train. Though I am only halfway through my first tank, I am getting about 57 indicated (so about 54 actual) overall. City only driving nets me in the low 60s depending on traffic. The technique that I use in the city is rather simple. Accelerate so that the needle on the Hybrid System Indicator is at the top of the ECO band but not into the Power range. Your target is about 5mph above the speed limit. Once you've reach the target, immediately lift off on the accelerator and then reapply slightly until the Hybrid System Indicator is riding the line between Charge and ECO. If you are using the energy flow indicator on your nav screen, you are trying to achieve neither engine nor battery usage. This dead band is the most efficient. If you have trouble holding the dead band, try for as little battery usage as possible. Glide (coast) until you are about 5mph below the speed limit and repeat as needed. If there is a stop coming up, just keep coasting in the dead band until you need to use the brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After a while, this becomes the normal way of driving. Of course you will need to vary your technique depending on traffic and terrain. I never use ECO mode as it tries my patience too much (as well as people around me) and doesn't seem to improve fuel economy for those using the pulse and glide technique. I only use SPORT when driving in really hilly areas or need quicker response for lane changes in dense traffic.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am one that also only sees about 38.x to 39.x in my community. I have lights and inclines. The only time I get decent mileage is when I go on longer trips using the freeway.
My best is only 45.7 on a 2 hours drive of freeway and mountain. I also only have 2,050 miles in 4 months.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am one that also only sees about 38.x to 39.x in my community. I have lights and inclines. The only time I get decent mileage is when I go on longer trips using the freeway.
My best is only 45.7 on a 2 hours drive of freeway and mountain. I also only have 2,050 miles in 4 months.
I have 3 tanks through my CT. Calculated at 39/37/37 MPG. A lot of freeway, stop and go, and hills. Not enough of the preferred "city" driving. This last tank I changed my route to and from work and am using sport mode on the freeway. So far on track for 44 MPG (47 on the gauge)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have filled mine up about 6 times so far. The worst was 52.1 MPG on the gauge (I calculated 49.87), the best was 56.9 MPG. Your results may vary as:

-I have a 60 mile commute....short trips when the car is cold ruins MPG
-I usually drive slow....55 mph. When I drive 70mph, the average quickly decreases.
-I run the maximum air pressure in the tires, this helps some but not nearly as much as driving a warmed up car and driving slower.
-I notice no appreciable difference when using ECO or Sport mode. I wouldn't expect it to unless I'm using the A/C, which I haven't yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts