Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2014 Lexus CT200h with standard headlights and upgraded fog lights and low beams to HID. I went with the Morimoto kit for the low beams but following the install my auto on feature no longer works....I have to turn them on 'manually'. Is there a resolution for this to get the auto on feature functioning again?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with Morimoto. The positive for each HID ballast comes from the Morimoto relay. However, the negative lead for each light must be grounded separately; make sure you have good tight ground connections. By good, I mean they are connected to a substantial frame screw. Recheck all your connections. "Auto" really shouldn't be an issue if lights work in manual on mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I have a newer Morimoto Kit? Everything I have is plug and play...there were no grounds that I needed to secure. H11XB35 bulbs plug into the ballast...ballast plugs into the CANBUS relay and relay plugs into the factory bulb plug.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The can-bus relay is used to cancel bulb-out errors. The relay you should use, if you use a relay, connects directly to the starting battery ( it is fused of course). I would not use the can-bus relay with a CT200h. In your case, I would connect the Morimoto ballast directly to the original light socket connector and not use the can-bus relay at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that...I'm using the relay and bulbs that the Retrofit resource instructed me to use. Thanks for you're help...I'll give that a shot.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
You are welcome! Glad it worked --enjoy your Morimotos :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey guys Ive just order the morimoto h11B also but have no clues what you guys are talking about. maybe ill figure it out once i received them. arent we supposed to use the canbus thing for our car ? whats with the relay thing I though it was just a plug n play thing..so orderred it from TRS and choose the option CANBUS..so do I need the RELAY THING ? well Ill wait and experienced it myself.

cheers guys

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
You don't want the CANBUS, it is for cars like BMW that detect light-out by measuring capacitance. Derrick actually had a problem with the "AUTO" light position not working when the CANBUS was installed. A relay system is nice, but it is not really needed. What is does bypass multiple devices on the lighting circuit and connects directly to the starting battery ( a positive terminal is located at the fuse box under the hood even though the battery I actually in the trunk) giving you full voltage and amperage when you first activate the HIDs. The Morimoto relay harness, like the Morimoto lights and ballasts, is very high quality. It even has nice red LDs to tell when the circuit is engaged. The Morimoto light kit I bought included the harness relay so I installed it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Je
You don't want the CANBUS, it is for cars like BMW that detect light-out by measuring capacitance. Derrick actually had a problem with the "AUTO" light position not working when the CANBUS was installed. A relay system is nice, but it is not really needed. What is does bypass multiple devices on the lighting circuit and connects directly to the starting battery ( a positive terminal is located at the fuse box under the hood even though the battery I actually in the trunk) giving you full voltage and amperage when you first activate the HIDs. The Morimoto relay harness, like the Morimoto lights and ballasts, is very high quality. It even has nice red LDs to tell when the circuit is engaged. The Morimoto light kit I bought included the harness relay so I installed it
Oh shoot then but is this only for the "auto" light ? Problems. Well will try to change my order then afraid is kinda late. Lets see if the TRS customers service is as good as it was said..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had problems with the Canbus. I'm going to order the relay harness and hope that it solves my issues. It's been about 6 months and I'm noticing that my one bulb is brighter than the other. I tried putting the original bulbs back in and it's doing the same thing. I think that the there is some sort of issue with the power source for the bulbs, so i want to try connecting straight from the fuse box, the only issue is that I have to figure out which spots to plug the relay into. Does anyone have any pictures that might point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
232 Posts
my car lights fires up without fail everytime in manual mode

in auto mode, only one will light up. wish it was in auto though.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
my car lights fires up without fail everytime in manual mode

in auto mode, only one will light up. wish it was in auto though.
Get Morimoto and your problems will go away. If you are using a light harness make sure each light's ground is very secure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same issues with my Morimoto Elite HID Kit, when I first got the kit I used the Can-Bus wiring harness and they worked perfectly fine for one year in auto mode.

Recently I have been having issues with only one side turning on in auto mode. So I contacted TRS and they said to switch the ballast to the other side and see if the condition follows. I did so and we isolated it down to the ballast.

I received the new ballast and the same thing happened. Only one side worked. So from experience I thought that maybe the OEM wiring was not able to supply enough power to ignite the 35W ballast, so I bought a wiring harness from them, its the one that you need to attache leads to the battery in order to feed power to the ballasts. But the issue still exists.

So my next attempt was to use the wiring harness + the can-bus harness to the 35w ballast, and only one side works.

I have tried new XB AMP igniters and they still dont work correctly either.

Just like the other users have been running into, only one side works and it just depends on the day. One day it can be the driver side and the next it can be the passenger side.

Currently Im running, Driver side is hooked up to Wiring harness + Can-bus and the passenger side is Can-Bus only.

I am trying multiple setups to see which one would provide me 100% ignition in auto mode.

My friend who drives a 2010 HS250h is also having the same issue as my 2012 CT200h

NOTE: I have done multiple projector retrofits and HID installs for many years and this is the first time that I am running into this issue.

FIXED: The wiring from the bulb to the igniter was failing causing the lights not to turn on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, can you go into more detail about how the wiring between the lamp and the ignitor was going bad? Seems very strange that your friend had the same issue... and more odd is that the issue would alternate between the lights. Seems like a power issue to me. Did you ever have Both lights not come on when in Auto light mode? Any problems since April with your setup? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been contemplating on a headlight upgrade for my 2014 CT. I keep reading great things about the Morimoto HID's, but also read so many incidents of troubleshooting. I've had HID on my other cars and even el cheapo ones that costed $30 for the whole set. Nothing but the bulb has ever failed me. Here I'm reading so many incidents where it requires troubleshooting and I'm wondering why you are all still saying Morimoto is the best? I'm debating on an LED system now but worried about blinding other drivers. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm contemplating on the HELIOS LED kit. https://www.carlightingdistrict.com/products/helios-headlight-kit-h11-55w

1 - 17 of 17 Posts