Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non nav, single disc radio. I find the ASL doesnt really help at all. No matter how fast I go, the sound level stays the same and I have to manually adjust the volume. A weird thing is when I park my car and step the handbreak (or should it be called footbreak?) to half way down, my radio would suddenly turn up the volume for 0.2 seconds and lower back to normal volume as I keep on stepping down the handbreak.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i also agree, from driving on the streets to the highway, my old car would make the sound much higher compensating for the higher speeds.

this car does not... is there a way to adjust it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a non nav, single disc radio. I find the ASL doesnt really help at all. No matter how fast I go, the sound level stays the same and I have to manually adjust the volume. A weird thing is when I park my car and step the handbreak (or should it be called footbreak?) to half way down, my radio would suddenly turn up the volume for 0.2 seconds and lower back to normal volume as I keep on stepping down the handbreak.
I agree.. I was going to mention this, but thought It just might have been me. We should push the dealers to investigate this at 5k or 10k. Are we missing something?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree.. I was going to mention this, but thought It just might have been me. We should push the dealers to investigate this at 5k or 10k. Are we missing something?
I thought the ASL feature was to compensate for ambient noise but I’ve observed whether ASL is on or off there is no difference in sound level. I've even tried opening the windows to see if the radio volume will go up… still no difference.:confused:

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I've noticed the ASL feature is just very subtle on Lexus vehicles in general. It almost functions as if it isn't there. There is a VERY subtle change in volume when windows are open vs closed and when accelerating hard. This is the exact same thing I've noticed in my friend's LS and in my current RX450h and previous RX350.

It is nothing like BMW's or Ford's systems that dramatically increase the volume when you speed up or whatnot. Kinda wish I had that instead. The ASL is incidentally, much more pronounced with cars with Mark Levinson systems.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I always thought that was for the nav voice. On my RX, it definitely affects her volume. It took me a while to figure out why her volume kept fluctuating.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm 41, Male, from the San Francisco Bay Area...

And you?
Sorry guys, the above posting was meant as a JOKE.

In the golden days of the internet, going back 5, 10, or even 15 years or more, when someone asked/mentioned 'ASL' in a chat room or forum such as this (BBS?), it meant they were asking for your 'Age/Sex/Location'.

This particular acronym mostly came from folks in AOL chat rooms, who were looked down upon as 'newbies'. Some of us 'l33t' folks came from the 'real' chat rooms, IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems using dial up modems).

I really wasn't expecting the joke to go over so many people's heads. ;]

Shockingly enough though, another thread along the same lines has just popped up without the ASL acronym.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Now I get it... LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow.. the whole time .. I thought that feature was to level the sound of the songs so that you don't get some songs louder and some songs softer... for mp3 quality...

Never knew it was for the speed...

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Sorry guys, the above posting was meant as a JOKE.

In the golden days of the internet, going back 5, 10, or even 15 years or more, when someone asked/mentioned 'ASL' in a chat room or forum such as this (BBS?), it meant they were asking for your 'Age/Sex/Location'.

This particular acronym mostly came from folks in AOL chat rooms, who were looked down upon as 'newbies'. Some of us 'l33t' folks came from the 'real' chat rooms, IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems using dial up modems).

I really wasn't expecting the joke to go over so many people's heads. ;]

Shockingly enough though, another thread along the same lines has just popped up without the ASL acronym.
LOL. I got that! Widely used on dating sites too!

Except the L in stood for "looking for..." instead of location, sometimes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
LOL I thought I was the only guy old enoough and an IT nerd to know what that meant. Ah BBs on a 9600 modem - trading 400kb pictures...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting. I have never driven a vehicle with ASL and I find myself actually tweaking the volume up when I come to a stop. I guess I am used to compensating. With that said, I think I do notice the difference even though it must be subtle.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
LOL I thought I was the only guy old enoough and an IT nerd to know what that meant. Ah BBs on a 9600 modem - trading 400kb pictures...

Nope older IT guy here :D. coded assembler language, Fortan, COBOL, GEtime sharing on 300 baud dial-up acoustic coupler. Set up BBS and Golpher,newsfeeds set up first firewall at company . Pioneered mainframe telecommunications /data ommunications through 3704/3705 FEPS. The switched to and developed IT Security controls.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nope older IT guy here :D. coded assembler language, Fortan, COBOL, GEtime sharing on 300 baud dial-up acoustic coupler. Set up BBS and Golpher,newsfeeds set up first firewall at company . Pioneered mainframe telecommunications /data ommunications through 3704/3705 FEPS. The switched to and developed IT Security controls.
Hey, I did Fortran in my high school days!!

Run my own computer business now (over 20 yrs)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts