Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any ct owners been hit by the recent arctic winter blast. my experience driving or not. Most of the times I love drivingly ct but when it starts to snow, sleet, freezing rain/drizzle. I don't drive at all until streets are plowed and cleared. the sub zero temps is fine to drive lol. I own a 2014 ct200h base trim. Some of the pros/cons.

Pros: Variable heated front seats. Nulux (black) seats are dirt, dust,& stain resistant. Also they're very comfortable, durable , very easy to clean, & maintain. Lexus all-weather rubber floor mats. Heated/defrost windshield wipers, heated/defrost side mirrors. Small interior size, so the cabin heats up quickly & stays nice and warm (auto dual climate).

Cons: Set of wet/dry performance tires (all-season or snow treads needed). Front wheel drive with traction control system. The rear window/tailgate gets extremely dirty very quick. Entire car gets covered in Road splash (salts, dirt, oil&grime, etc). so much i have unlimited carwash plan. When it goes below freezing temp, the hybrid battery becomes less efficient and requires more engine use. losing mpg. In normal weather 40-45mpg. Winter blast, 30-35mpg. Still very good but 10-15mpg less.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You pretty much nailed it. I will say that non-hybrid cars also lose gas mileage in the cold. Its more due to the engine taking much much longer to reach optimal temp than the hybrid system being less efficient, although when the batteries are cold they do have less energy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get some winter tires. It makes a load of difference. Mpg will drop a point or 2. Having a garage is nice too. Also winter gas actually is formulated differently. Also for those with older ct's: if you suffer from cold soak try waiting until you ice turns off before turing off the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
These cars suck for real winter driving (i.e., Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.). Rear end is too light and the low aspect tires perform poorly in slush or snow covered roadways. Been there, know this to be a fact. Whoever said to use snow tires is spot-on with that advice. If I lived up north again I'd trade in my ct200h and get something different. Honestly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These cars suck for real winter driving (i.e., Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.). Rear end is too light and the low aspect tires perform poorly in slush or snow covered roadways. Been there, know this to be a fact. Whoever said to use snow tires is spot-on with that advice. If I lived up north again I'd trade in my ct200h and get something different. Honestly.
yes. I love this car, but it is a boat anchor in the winter weather around Chicago-- I haven't had to deal with a car like this since the 70's before everyone had front wheel drive. I will try snow tires, but then again that seasonal shift is a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cold soak is the name of the Lexus bulletin item. It is a warrantied repair for your cars intake manifold. Basically if it is really cold your engine will knock really bad and sound like it is about to explode. If you are still under warranty and it happens to you: take it to the dealer and they are supposed to fix it. But When I did it the "problem didn't present itself" because it was left in the lexus garage overnight and never hit temps that would allow it to knock. The fix I have found it to make sure your ICE (internal combustion engine) turns off before your hit the power button on your car to turn it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts