Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the latch on my armrest was sticking to the point when I pushed it in, I had to pull the latch out to get the armrest to stay in the closed position. The dealer put in a new latch and it was working perfectly...for a few months. Now, it's as bad as it was the last time it broke...going to get another latch put in this weekend. This concerns me as if the car keeps doing this I don't want to get stuck paying for one when it's out of warranty. I know some people have had the sticky armrest latch problems in the past...anyone else out there have it happen again after being fixed?

·
Registered
180 Posts
No prob here with mine, but my car is still new.

Is there something sticking inside the latch, or is some plastic mechanism breaking and jamming up?

How often do you use your armrest door often?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I open and close mine everyday; sometimes several times a day. No problems and my car is nearly 1 year, 7 months old. I do not, however, use it as an armrest. So, just wondering if you do and the latch is breaking from the pressure being put on it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Common problem I found. Fixed mine with WD 40. Two of he loaner CT's I've had during maintenance and repairs had the same problems and they were 2012 models.

Hopefully the 2013 model will rectify the dodgy passenger handle, sticking armrest latch, faulty moonroof, creaking dash, rebooting sat nav and bumpy ride.

Here's hoping.

But its still a great car!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had it fixed once by dealer and once with WD-40 at home and it is now sticking again. Seems that it sticks when weather changes. Now having fall like weather in Philly. I am going to spray it with WD-40 again and just mention it to dealer next time I have it serviced.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they replaced mine again this weekend...works like new now. I would use WD40 but just feel that it should work without me having to breathe in that awful smell while driving my car. I am keeping all records of part replacements so when my car is out of warranty I can still get it fixed

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just noticed that mine is doing the same thing. I guess I'll have them fix it next time I'm in for service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dang... didn't know this was a common problem. Mine started sticking a few weeks ago and the dealer is going to replace it under warranty. Maybe I'll ask them to coat it in silicon lube before replacing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You guys do understand that WD-40 is not a lubricant for locks. Those typically need graphite. See this article in a handymans column: 10 Surprising Uses for WD-40 (and 5 Places It Should Never Be Sprayed)
I use it a lot, but I am pretty sure that the plastic parts that make up our console will not like WD-40. It was designed mostly to displace water. Hence Water Displacing in its name. I am pretty sure I don't have any water in my latch. There are lots of lubricants that will work much better on plastic latches.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm wondering if repeated use of the latch results in friction that causes plastic dust to form and cause the sticking. Just by looking at it without taking it apart, it appears to be very simple: Push the button, which is attached to the hook. The hook gets pushed in against a spring and the door opens. I'm thinking maybe a little lithium grease on the gliding surfaces will minimize the friction and the resulting dust that may be the cause of it sticking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts