Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of 16" steel rims that I fit with snow tires recently. I called a Lexus dealership to ask if the stock lug nuts were ok with the steel rims. Then the guy warned me that his shop had some cars come in that were using steel wheels that busted the wheel studs. He said that the his service mechanic blamed the steel wheels for this.

I used a similar set up on a honda civic si the last couple years with out a problem, so I went ahead and put on the steel wheels. I will monitor the wheel studs for the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone here heard of this issue? I'm skeptical, but a little paranoid at the same time. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys....I thought he was full of it too. I did ask about the spare and the guy said "it was designed especially for the vehicle"...whatever...I am on day 2 and still have no issues. I will check the studs at the end of a week either way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Consider the seating surface of the steel wheel. That is the concern. I can't recall what the OE lug nut design is, but you have to consider the seating surface of the wheel & the type of lug nut design.

eg. cone seat bulge style lug on a wheel that has a seating surface that is meant for a flat-seat won't work.

See this link for a guide:

http://www.mcgard.com/files/pdf/lugnutref2009.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also purchased a set of 16 inch. steel rims for my CT at my local Toyota dealer, because I always drive with wintertyres during these colder months. Normaly these rims are fitted on a previous model of the Toyota Avensis ( European Toyota model ) and they also fit on the CT. I am not using the original expensive lug nuts who normally are installed with the 17 inch. aluminium rims but I bought 20 other lug nuts who are especially made for these steel rims. Included a picture of my CT with steel rims and wintertyres ( 205/55/16 ) on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks PM. I am not using the oem lug nut for the steel rims. I am using a tapered lug nut made for the steel rim. If that is the issue I should be ok. However the oem lug nut does have a tapered end. This is most likely for the spare steel rim. They may be ok but I chose not to use them. Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts