Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately, GROM has stopped making the VLINE for the CT200H. Apparently, it had too many issues and they didn't feel like it was worth looking further into. I wasn't aware of this carlinkit option. Does anyone know if it would work on a 2012?
It won't work for your 2012, but Grom does still sell the VLine for the 2014+ and it has no issues with those cars, if anyone here with a late model CT is interested in it. Beatsonic doesn't sell any kit for the first gen CT either, so there must be something inherent to the nav unit that makes it impossible to integrate this kind of system into, or at least too difficult to justify the expense for a low volume car. For what it's worth I've heard from other Lexus owners that Carlinkit is an absolute disaster, so be careful unless they have free returns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What did you purchase to get Apple CarPlay? Also, how difficult was the install?
Grom VLine VL2 is the most mature and stable one if yours is a 2014+. It does wireless CarPlay plus has a native Android interface for running any app you want to install and locally downloaded media. Install is very easy, it's plug and play, anyone who's remotely handy can DIY in under an hour with a plastic pry tool, which is $5 on Amazon. Here's a step by step video:
I'm organizing a group discount, it'll be a promo code for $130 off retail valid April 8-15, so just PM me the name and email address you'll use to order if you'd like to join. Comes to $470 shipped with the discount

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where I can get this product for my 2014 Fsport? Can you send me link?
It's at GROM VLine Android iPhone Stereo System for Maps and Apps. I'm organizing a group discount in the Lexus and Toyota groups to qualify people for a promo code for $130 off retail, it'll be valid this Thursday, April 8 thru the 15th. PM me the name and email you'll use to order to join, and you'll get the code in your email on Thursday.

·
Registered
2015 CT200h Advance Plus
6 Posts
Grom VLine VL2 is the most mature and stable one if yours is a 2014+. It does wireless CarPlay plus has a native Android interface for running any app you want to install and locally downloaded media. Install is very easy, it's plug and play, anyone who's remotely handy can DIY in under an hour with a plastic pry tool, which is $5 on Amazon. Here's a step by step video:
I'm organizing a group discount, it'll be a promo code for $130 off retail valid April 8-15, so just PM me the name and email address you'll use to order if you'd like to join. Comes to $470 shipped with the discount
I have a 2015 model Advance Plus, it has the wheel/dial controller instead of the mouse/joystick - will this work in my model? Also, where can I purchase this in the UK?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 model Advance Plus, it has the wheel/dial controller instead of the mouse/joystick - will this work in my model? Also, where can I purchase this in the UK?
Yep, it's good in all of the 2014+ with nav. You could buy it at the Grom UK dealer, which charges 500 pounds, or a lot of people in the UK and EU save money on it by joining the monthly group buy and ordering direct from Grom in the US with a promo code for $130 off the retail price of $600. Even with $58 international shipping and whatever the import duty is, it's a significant savings. PM me if you want in on the next promo code, the window to use it will be May 6 to 13

·
Registered
7 Posts
How much was it? Please keep us posted on your experience.
That one appears to be just a reskinned Lsailt, which is a Chinese knockoff of the Grom unit. You can get it cheaper if you go around this reseller and get it directly from AliExpress, which is where they're likely sourcing it. It's buggier and uses cheaper components than the Grom module though, and no US based tech support

·
Registered
5 Posts
That one appears to be just a reskinned Lsailt, which is a Chinese knockoff of the Grom unit. You can get it cheaper if you go around this reseller and get it directly from AliExpress, which is where they're likely sourcing it. It's buggier and uses cheaper components than the Grom module though, and no US based tech support

Update:
It worked guys!!! I’m currently figuring out how to get the bluetooth audio in carplay to work. Steering wheel and mouse works flawlessly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Grom unit has no support for Gen 1. This one was bought from malaysia. The facebook page name is JP car audio & electronics. This works both on apple car play and android auto.

The seller gave me instruction on the configuration. But there is no need to configure anything. The rest are plug and play except for the grounding needed to do which i mentioned further in this post.

The actual dismantling of the car panels and installation was not provided by the seller. Luckily, the beat sonic ct200h installation was available in youtube. I used it as a guide when installing the car play unit because they have explained clearly on what tools you need, no. of screws to remove and how to carefully take off the panels.

The only instruction the seller gave is where to connect the wires provided

There is an excess cable in the package that was meant to fit the latest gens of the navi and other lexus brands. This is for the display bypass. But since i have the first gen navi (2011-2012ish), the cable below was not necessary.
View attachment 60705

One thing you needed to do is to buy an aux cable because the carplay sound is dependent on aux (no need to plug the other end of the aux to your phone). Once you plug the aux in the port and activated, there is no need set it up again in audio in the oem system. It will automatically sound up once the carplay pop up in the oem display. Also, remove the bluetooth pairing on the oem system and on your phone so your bluetooth connection will only focus on carplay. You can use other 3.5mm jack but you need to ground it up.

One thing i’ve noticed that there are static noises and the carplay sound quality is really bad. I tried to diagnose if my aux port was messed up but it was not. But i figured it out that the aux cable just need some grounding and fixed the problem. The other end of the aux cable should be connected to any ground. I tried to ground it in the carplay unit ground wires and it worked. But any ground point should be okay.

I placed the unit behind the glove box as shown in the video by the beat sonic guys

After installing this unit, the only downside was the steering wheel controls. The volume function is working, the rest is not. Im still communicating with the seller for any fix available.

Overall, the experience was really satisfying with the carplay unit. Every time i get inside the vehicle with the phone inside my pocket, it connects automatically and wirelessly. Carplay will also automatically pops up in the display without any inputs from me. Just need about 20-30 seconds to load after starting the car. Oem reverse camera got a little bit of delay of few seconds when you are in carplay mode.

I’m just an average diy-er and installing this kind is an achievement. I just want carplay and it happily delivered my expectations.
Tools and other stuff needed:
Screwdiver
10mm socket
Plastic trim remover
Wire stripper for the ground
Aux cable (1m length should be more than enough)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Grom unit has no support for Gen 1. This one was bought from malaysia. The facebook page name is JP car audio & electronics. This works both on apple car play and android auto.

The seller gave me instruction on the configuration. But there is no need to configure anything. The rest are plug and play except for the grounding needed to do which i mentioned further in this post.

The actual dismantling of the car panels and installation was not provided by the seller. Luckily, the beat sonic ct200h installation was available in youtube. I used it as a guide when installing the car play unit because they have explained clearly on what tools you need, no. of screws to remove and how to carefully take off the panels.
View attachment 60706

The only instruction the seller gave is where to connect the wires provided
View attachment 60709
There is an excess cable in the package that was meant to fit the latest gens of the navi and other lexus brands. This is for the display bypass. But since i have the first gen navi (2011-2012ish), the cable below was not necessary.
View attachment 60705

One thing you needed to do is to buy an aux cable because the carplay sound is dependent on aux (no need to plug the other end of the aux to your phone). Once you plug the aux in the port and activated, there is no need set it up again in audio in the oem system. It will automatically sound up once the carplay pop up in the oem display. Also, remove the bluetooth pairing on the oem system and on your phone so your bluetooth connection will only focus on carplay. You can use other 3.5mm jack but you need to ground it up.
View attachment 60703

One thing i’ve noticed that there are static noises and the carplay sound quality is really bad. I tried to diagnose if my aux port was messed up but it was not. But i figured it out that the aux cable just need some grounding and fixed the problem. The other end of the aux cable should be connected to any ground. I tried to ground it in the carplay unit ground wires and it worked. But any ground point should be okay.
View attachment 60704

I placed the unit behind the glove box as shown in the video by the beat sonic guys
View attachment 60707

After installing this unit, the only downside was the steering wheel controls. The volume function is working, the rest is not. Im still communicating with the seller for any fix available.

Overall, the experience was really satisfying with the carplay unit. Every time i get inside the vehicle with the phone inside my pocket, it connects automatically and wirelessly. Carplay will also automatically pops up in the display without any inputs from me. Just need about 20-30 seconds to load after starting the car. Oem reverse camera got a little bit of delay of few seconds when you are in carplay mode.

I’m just an average diy-er and installing this kind is an achievement. I just want carplay and it happily delivered my expectations.
Tools and other stuff needed:
Screwdiver
10mm socket
Plastic trim remover
Wire stripper for the ground
Aux cable (1m length should be more than enough)
Thanks for the update. Sounds like it is the way to go for 2012-2011. How much did the unit cost?

·
Registered
2014 Lexus CT200H
1 Posts
Yep, it's good in all of the 2014+ with nav. You could buy it at the Grom UK dealer, which charges 500 pounds, or a lot of people in the UK and EU save money on it by joining the monthly group buy and ordering direct from Grom in the US with a promo code for $130 off the retail price of $600. Even with $58 international shipping and whatever the import duty is, it's a significant savings. PM me if you want in on the next promo code, the window to use it will be May 6 to 13
I'm interested on joining on this group purchase. I'm not able to DM for some reason.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts