Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if this device would work on the 2012 Lexus CT200H? I have searched the entire internet who seems to say that using Apple Carplay on the 2012 is just not possible, which is why I would like some guidance by tech-savvy people on what they think of this product. There is a YouTube video that you can watch the beginning of to see what they say you need in your car for it to work. Please help me :)

I guess a shortened question is: what kind of input does the 2012 infotainment display use? RCA? And if someone knows that Carplay doesn't work, what is it exactly in the pre-2013 models makes it so the display cannot be updated?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to know, too... 2013 is mine...
There are a lot of tutorials and products for 2013 and beyond, including Apple/Android set up. It's the 2012 that apparently is different...although I do not know in what way. If anyone knows please share with the class :)

·
Banned
5 Posts
There are a lot of tutorials and products for 2013 and beyond, including Apple/Android set up. It's the 2012 that apparently is different...although I do not know in what way. If anyone knows please share with the class :)
There is a beautiful plug'n play solution from GROMAudio (VLINE), but it does not seem to be supported by the manufacturer anymore... I'm looking for an alternative solution... See the thread for more details: GROM VLine VL2 Apple CarPlay and Android Auto...

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Have you had any luck finding something that works with the 2012 model? This looks promising: 10.25" Touch Screen Lexus Ct200h Android Head Unit GPS Stereo Upgrade - Professional blog for car DVD GPS head units
Indeed that one looks promising @mcbretttetettet. There are two videos with detailed install instructions and a review about it:

The manufacturer also has a YouTube channel showing the device:

I'm actually in touch with the vendor and about to purchase one. Got the following quote yesterday:
"1x 10.25" HD Android head unit for 2012 CT200h with factory/OEM NAV: US$599
1x wired + wireless CarPlay AND Android Auto: US$60
Shipping cost to Canada US$93 by UPS

Total: 599+60+93= 752 USD

bank transfer or western union payment is entitled to 15% discount for goods cost = US$653.15"

A decent NAV system is a must in any car imo and the GROM Audio still seems to me like a way better-polished product up to a point that I was happy to spend the money... This one I'm not too sure... boot time is ridiculous, mouse does not work with Android and some other quirks... but since my only other option was trading my car for a 2014 (or leasing a UX250h :p) I decided to take my chances and just go for this one...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Indeed that one looks promising @mcbretttetettet. There are two videos with detailed install instructions and a review about it:

The manufacturer also has a YouTube channel showing the device:

I'm actually in touch with the vendor and about to purchase one. Got the following quote yesterday:
"1x 10.25" HD Android head unit for 2012 CT200h with factory/OEM NAV: US$599
1x wired + wireless CarPlay AND Android Auto: US$60
Shipping cost to Canada US$93 by UPS

Total: 599+60+93= 752 USD

bank transfer or western union payment is entitled to 15% discount for goods cost = US$653.15"

A decent NAV system is a must in any car imo and the GROM Audio still seems to me like a way better-polished product up to a point that I was happy to spend the money... This one I'm not too sure... boot time is ridiculous, mouse does not work with Android and some other quirks... but since my only other option was trading my car for a 2014 (or leasing a UX250h :p) I decided to take my chances and just go for this one...
Yikes at that price. Shame about the GROM audio option no longer being supported. Let me know your experience if you decide to move forward. I saw pioneer has announced some "modular" android auto/apple play units but the compatibility and install process is way over my head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never seen it anywhere, but did you look up the GROM VLine 2, or the carlinkit ? They both work the same and are cheaper. (the GROM VLine 2 has the advantage of having a full step by step video made by the maker :) )

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never seen it anywhere, but did you look up the GROM VLine 2, or the carlinkit ? They both work the same and are cheaper. (the GROM VLine 2 has the advantage of having a full step by step video made by the maker :) )
Unfortunately, GROM has stopped making the VLINE for the CT200H. Apparently, it had too many issues and they didn't feel like it was worth looking further into. I wasn't aware of this carlinkit option. Does anyone know if it would work on a 2012?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you should ask the retailer, they helped me a lot (since I had a configuration that's not very easy to find : a 2020 ct200h with a factory 10,3" screen). I ordered mine from AliExpress, you'll find it easily on Google by searching "carlinkit ct200h 2012" (I can't provide a link, since most of the time, they don't work, I don't know why... )

·
Registered
Obsidian Lexus 2015 CT 200h F-Sport
15 Posts
Just placed the order yesterday. The seller ensures that it will work in 2013 otherwise money-back guarantee. Hope it works!
Please let us know how it goes! This one caught my eye, both my dad and I have been hunting for one that works across all model years as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wrote their team an email asking a few questions in regards to their system, I'm awaiting their response. Here is what I wrote to them:

Code:
Hello,

I recently caught wind of your CarPlay/Android Auto system for the Lexus CT200h, and I wanted to know a couple details about it. I've researched other systems of this kinda and I wanted to know how it compares.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the support the 2013 model year? Similar systems have only been listed as comparable from 2014 onward and I wanted to double check.

2. Can this system use the integrated USB ports in the center console for connecting a phone to the system or are the included extensions the only option?

3. Does this device have its own built in GPS system, or does it entirely rely on a phone for navigation apps?

4. Does this device support bluetooth audio streaming straight to the device? Or do you have to keep using the OEM bluetooth for music streaming support?

5.  What kind of video inputs are supported for the cameras? I have a dashcam with HDMI output and I wanted to know if I could make it push signal to this device.

6. The page mentions this device uses an Android operating system and is able to work standalone. How quickly does this system typically boot up relative to the car starting? Some other products that use and Android system as a base have long boot times.

7. In regards to that Android system, how often will you push software updates, if at all?

8. We have a 2013 and a 2015 model of the CT, and they use different infotainment systems. Can we expect any variations in your system between the model years?

Your product looks quite appealing compared to other offerings from the likes of GROM and others, but I wanted to get some of the technical details that aren't listed on the main page. I wanted to dig into the specifications more myself before I commit to getting this for two of our CT's. As such, I would really appreciate if you could point me towards a technical document for this device where I could dig into the full requirements and capabilities of the system.

If all looks good on my end, then you can expect two orders from us before the end of the year. I appreciate you reading my long winded email, and I hope this reaches you well.

Thanks,
These are mostly concerns I had, I will post the response I get here. Figured I'd share in case someone else has similar concerns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking at the page : I can answer at least one of your question, in a roundabout way : the system doesn't override the Lexus one. It's working in parallel to it : you have to double click on the home button of your knob to activate it and vice versa. You'll keep the default GPS, and features of your Lexus. ;)
But for the Carplay and Android auto you'll have to use the USB cable feature with the kit : in order for Android auto (dunno for Carplay but must be the same), you have to have access to a usb at least 2.0 (3.0 for recent phone even), and well, I'm not sure our car's connections are up to date to say the least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking at the page : I can answer at least one of your question, in a roundabout way : the system doesn't override the Lexus one. It's working in parallel to it : you have to double click on the home button of your knob to activate it and vice versa. You'll keep the default GPS, and features of your Lexus. ;)
But for the Carplay and Android auto you'll have to use the USB cable feature with the kit : in order for Android auto (dunno for Carplay but must be the same), you have to have access to a usb at least 2.0 (3.0 for recent phone even), and well, I'm not sure our car's connections are up to date to say the least.
I'm aware it works alongside the existing system and doesn't remove any functionality. If what you say about the USB turns out to be true, I might mod the USB port module myself and rewire one port to route to the secondary system to have a more seamless integration. It should be an easy mod, USB 2.0 is only 4 wires that I'd have to splice out of the harness into the extension cable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it is the same as the one I got : it has it. So you can link to it wirelessly (once you have linked your phone to the carplay kit the first time), and connect your phone to the OEM usb to charge your phone. ;)

·
Registered
2015 CT200h Advance Plus
5 Posts
This is looking like something I would be interested in for sure - I have a 2015 model, and I'm not sure what unit I'm looking for (I'm fairly new to this sort of thing) - can someone point me in the right direction for the UK?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine was manufactured in 2013. But the system is based on the old platform so basically, its is only for 2014 onwards. Try to get clarification from them before you order. You might need to send the photos of your infotainment and control to them for better assessment.
Oh interesting, so you have a 2013 model year and it doesn't work? Your nav system must have have the flip up screen instead of the static one found on the later models right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts