Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
430 Posts
The bamboo looks nice, but it's the only piece that color on the whole car, so it's a bit odd. I did ebony wood grain in my previous Lexus and that looked great.

·
Super Moderator
430 Posts
Well, from that one picture there at the end, that looks absolutely fantastic! What a lovely color. I think I'd clear coat over it if it were mine, to get a deeper shine and gloss. But that should look good all over, wherever you can do it.

·
Super Moderator
430 Posts
It does pull the goldish/silverish trim together in real life which is nice.
It really does! I've never seen anything like that in a car before, but it really works.
Spraymax 2k clear.
That's what I used on mine years ago when I did carbon fiber vinyl on my switches like you're doing. Here is the affect/difference. The middle two have the clear:

Hand Hood Input device Automotive lighting Guitar accessory

Here is the completed project. It just gave it a subtle shine/gloss so it didn't look so flat and ... vinyl-y. While toning it a bit darker and deeper with more of a contrast (the comparison picture above doesn't show the effect or do it justice).

Vehicle Steering part Car Plant Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Synthetic rubber Material property Tints and shades Composite material Font

Ultimately though, I ended up replacing these with a "dash kit" of thicker rubbery pieces. I got mine in "Ebony Zebra Wood" so it was a full on gray/black look without any warmth or color to it like yours has. While I liked mine, I love yours more.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Font Bumper

Glasses Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Gadget

This was one of the last mods I did to the IS300 before getting rid of it. I've had an eye to do it again in the CT, but haven't pulled the trigger. So I'm definitely interested in what you're working on.

·
Super Moderator
430 Posts
The zebra ebony wood definitely looks good, since I was going for a black/gunmetal dark grey theme, and it was a great option to the overdone carbon fiber, more luxury instead of sporty I guess. As you can see from mine, the "finger pocket" was also left out both times, so you doing it that way was the right choice. I just cleared straight over the parts after installing the vinyl (including the finger pockets), it probably helps it remain bonded. I know that passenger side comes off, I feel like there's a DIY or video out there somewhere if needed.

I don't have any tint on mine (yet) but I had 35% on the IS. For whatever reason though, the windows do look naturally dark/tinted on the CT. So I'm wondering if I'll even bother with tint. Both cars had black interior, but the CT windows are smaller. Maybe the glass is already factory tinted a little.

·
Super Moderator
430 Posts
Ah nice, you managed to get the finger pockets covered. You have a lot more patience and skill for that than I do lol. My first thought though when I saw it was that it looks weird for the "wood grain" look to just abruptly turn down like that, when wood is normally flat. But either way, it looks good and certainly is interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts