Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i've took delivery in late april, i've been having persistent weird experiences. here's just a few...

late night, a mustang kept flashing lights and honking 3 times. finally exited, got to a light and i was like "dude! this is a hybrid!"...led to an interesting conversation

a subaru wrx, toyota matrix, and a honda insight owner rolls window down and asks/says (typically) "that's a lexus?" ... "that's a hybrid??!"

people with mazda3's always give me a second look. in fact, yesterday, a guy honked and asked "what model is that? what year? hybrid? what's the color called? nice car!"...that was pleasant, actually.:)

i get dirty looks from prius owners (why?):confused:

other lexus owners (mainly IS250 owners so far) keep driving along side of me while passengers keep staring and talking to the driver

security guards at my work place say "i'm in the wrong business. wish i could afford a lexus"...when i told them how much it retails for their jaws dropped and said "really?? :eek: i thought it'd be like $45K!"

(i live near a university)
college guys... "is that a lexus? dude, nice!!" :cool:
college girls... "is that a lexus? oh its so cute!" ;)

not sure if i should be offended by this one, but i've heard "that's your car??" a few times...sounded like i didn't look worthy of owning a luxury car. i ask "why" and they usually respond "no, nothing...nice car, man"

a little over 2 months of owning and all this. i barely go out except to commute. anyone else wish to share anything "weird"?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got the "Prius" owner Looks.... especially on the Interstate, while they are sliding along at a casual clip, looking all green and non-polluting, I'm in the fast lane exploiting the "Darker Side of Green..." ;-). A number of them have taken a second look when they see the "Hybrid" stickers on the sides... and given me thumbs up or just a smug "tut". I did get the finger from one guy... but that's his problem. I can't help it if he's driving a wedge of cheese and I'm driving a Lexus....

I've also got lots of comments in the company parking lot about it. Obviously, It's unique... 10,000 employees and I'm the only one.... My boss, who drives an HSE Range Rover that get's maybe 9ft to the Gallon is very interested in now getting one....

IS owners look at it a lot on the Interstate as they pass me or I pass them... I think they initially think it's a hatchback version of the IS if they are not too savvy on the current Lexus line up....

Had a few people ask me about it as I park it places... all good comments...Scared a few people, including one of our security guards on patrol in our parking lot at work when it goes into EV mode at low speed... ;-) Had a comment last night about that as I picked my kids up from Karate from one of the other Dads... He thought it must be all electric or something because I made no real noise parking...

Regardless of all the reactions, I've never had a car where I can drive at 75-80mph on my 40 mile Interstate commute and still average 43.5mpg...So I really don't care what they think!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coworker#2 -"Is that your car? I like it alot. I have been looking for a car let me call my boyfriend."
Me: (in my head)PLEASE DON'T BUY ONE
My Grandmom: "That's a hybrid?"
Many people I test drove around- "It's on?"
Co-worker #2 - "Your car is sexy."

·
Registered
96 Posts
I, too, enjoy the sneaky, stealth EV mode. :D
Perfect for late night robberies. Or sneaking in without the wife noticing - what honey? I've been home all night? lol.

all kidding aside, I've only just ordered it, but have gotten the following:

Me: "I chose this over the Prius"
My brother in law: "thank god"

Me: "I ordered the new Lexus hybrid"
Co-worker: "you can afford that?"
Me: "it ended up being only $1000 more than the prius"
CW: "Holy-****"

Me: "I'm seriously debating between the prius and the Lexus CT, but it isn't much more for the CT - can you tell me what would be more beneficial with the prius?"
Toyota salesman: "Honestly, I would just get the Lexus"

That was my personal favourite so far lol.

I think honestly Lexus has scored huge with the CT... I think over the next year, it will slowly steal quite a few sales from the Prius (as if it hasn't already)... once the news catches on that is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
These are fascinating experiences. I used to drive a bright gold Volvo with several entertaining/irritating (depending on one's point of view) bumper stickers, so got a lot of looks/attention in that car. I haven't noticed much interest while I'm on the road, but I may be oblivious or used to it. The only time I really noticed someone checking out my car while I was driving was a guy driving a BMW with dealer plates. He seemed VERY interested. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes I've had some of those comments to :D

I definitely like slowly going past a Prius :p

I've had BMW's take a good look (3 series usually) even one slowing going behind and then coming up the other side for another look.

People are always astonished when you start it and drive off with no noise.

And of course lots of comments at work like wow they must be paying you to much !
Now my flipping boss is looking at one :mad:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Great posts!! Too funny!!! (especially the Prius taunting) hehe

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will start taunting Prius drivers, there are SOOOO many of them. So far I am the only one in my area that has this car. I have begun taking bets as to when that "luxury" will wear off.

I want an anti Prius t-shirt lol.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
This is an entertaining thread! I've only been gauked at once or twice, some lady from the passenger seat of a car while in traffic on the highway was staring/looking at the car so hard, her nose was almost pushed up against her window!

When I left my gym yesterday, there was only car parked next to me, and it was a Prius. I've never really looked at the interior of that car until now, and boy does it make me dislike it even more. Now I can see why Prius owners are so envious.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll be honest and admit to giving a CT driver a dirty look... because he was behind the wheel and I'm stuck waiting in line for mine...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok ....I admit it to the TWO (2) CT owners in the Raleigh area that I HAVE seen on the road....I DID GAWK....but it was just because I am GREEN with envy!! Less than two weeks till my car is mine!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok ....I admit it to the TWO (2) CT owners in the Raleigh area that I HAVE seen on the road....I DID GAWK....but it was just because I am GREEN with envy!! Less than two weeks till my car is mine!!
Think how I feel - I doubt my car is even 2 weeks away from the beginning of production let alone delivery :( As expected though - I only ordered 1 1/2 weeks ago lol.

I've only seen one on the road so far - a silver one - it is meh in silver if you ask me, but I say that about any silver car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
First week I had our ct went to airport to pick up my wife rolled to booth inev mode and sat there unnoticed for almost a minute then attendant jumped when she looked down and seen me sitting there that was good for a laugh

·
Registered
22 Posts
First week I had our ct went to airport to pick up my wife rolled to booth inev mode and sat there unnoticed for almost a minute then attendant jumped when she looked down and seen me sitting there that was good for a laugh

I am constantly going UNnoticed also! I sat in the drive thru at Walgreens for 5 minutes and the lady said "oh I didn't know you were there."

Thirty minutes ago I pulled onto my street and my trash can was blocking my drive way, neighbor was outside on their porch (note our homes are attached!) I had to put my car in park and get out to move the trash can. When he saw me he said "I didn't know you were there, I would have moved that for you." I was 10 feet from him!

I don't know if anyone is an Office fan but it reminded me of when Andy snuck up on Dwight in his car (a prius of course) and pushed him into the bush without him ever noticing he was behind him.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yesterday morning... I almost got an unpleasant comment from one of those "minty green color" Prius owners. The mall has Hybrid car parking spaces, and I beat the Prius guy to the last one by a few seconds (he was behind me). He actually sat there and waited until I got out, rolled down his window about to say something. My guess is he was going to yell "Hey! Those spaces are for hybrid cars only!!" but noticed the badge right at the moment (shutting him up). He quickly drove off in anger ...he almost hit a pedestrian from that little 'road rage' too :mad:.

Today at lunch: I approach a stop sign, and my co-worker says "Your engine just stalled!". I knew all I had to say/explain was that it went into EV mode, but I played dumb, accelerated and asked her "I'm sorry...What was that?" She was like, "Your engine...it sounded like...nevermind". :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well when ever I get mine it is going to be interesting. My community has tons of Prius.
I have not seen a CT on the freeway or anywhere near here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts