Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be picking up JDM headlights. One of the reasons for this is one I want the side clear reflector and two I'm doing a projector retrofit to my existing headlights so I'd be taking the guts out of the headlights anyways...

What I am not sure about is about the JDM/EU headlights. In the US our reflectors are orange and we have amber LEDS behind that. Do the JDM/EU market also have amber leds behind the clear sidemarker or is there nothing there? However, if the actual headlight doesn't have the amber leds behind the reflector then my first plan is sending my orange reflectors out to be made in clear. But I figured if getting JDM headlights saves me a step or two and time then even better.

Note I am specifically asking for the NON LED version of the headlight.

US Spec looks like this:

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Headlamp

At night:
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Grille

EU/JDM: Notice clear reflector but for the life of me I can't find a night picture of anything illuminated there?
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Can anyone that's not from the USA confirm if their clear sidemarker has leds behind it or if anything gets lit up that is circle?

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine's a JDM here in Australia. Absolutely nothing there mate. Just a clear reflector.
Much appreciated! You just saved me a ton of headaches buying JDM headlights. In the USA we are required to have amber light coming out somewhere on the bumper/headlight...etc. So this would not pass inspection where I live.

Going to go with Plan A and after I open the headlights up send out my orange reflector to be made in clear just like the EU/JDM spec, but I'll have amber leds under the reflector so it will not be an issue, just a much cleaner look!

AFAIK, only the USA market requires front or rear side lights.
After scouring FB on pictures, it appears that way. Not mad actually, kinda glad I didn't jump the gun and buy JDM headlights to only realize that they can't be used, plus I'd have to swap the projectors anyways since they are rhd beam pattern.

Picture just for reference that I found.
Yellow circles show the headlight and foglight on. Red circle shows no side marker light where we would have amber shining through in the US.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

-Nigel

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Technically there should be an amber reflector of any vehicle sold in the USA per DOT. However, in VA every time I've gotten our other cars inspected as long as there is amber light coming out you will pass.

For example. We have a w211 MB e350. On the bumper it came with orange side marker reflectors with an orange bulb. I changed the reflector to a smoked version, but the bulb was still amber.
It failed. The inspector said the following. There has to be orange light being emitted from the front of the car and no reflector can be tinted/smoke in color. The reflector can be orange or clear but the light coming out has to be orange. If you have an orange reflector but white light, you will fail. If you have a smoked lens, it's a fail because it doesn't let the amber light come out as it should... IE too dark.
On the MB there's actually zero amber at all in the actual headlight itself, only on the side bumper. A lot of German cars are like this. Porsche especially with having no amber at all in their headlights, strictly on the front/side bumper..

Porsche owners do this all the time and Porsche actually makes a clear side marker that has amber leds in it. Most people that buy them swap them out at purchase.

I don't foresee having an issue. But I'll still keep my amber reflectors after I get the clear ones made. Good thing with the CT is the amber side marker light is pretty bright. So with a clear side marker reflector it will probably be brighter when it's on compared to being filtered by the amber reflector.

-Nigel

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep should be fine with inspections here. Like I said I've done it on other vehicles that we own and as long as the light is amber shining through, they don't give it a second thought. The nice thing with the mold that would be done is it's going to be a 1 to 1 so however the orange reflector looks, the clear should look just like it. So there should still be that opening albeit a clear part now, but it will look just like the amber.

I might have a couple sets made just incase someone wants to buy a pair. I figure the only time someone would want to swap is doing a projector retrofit or changing something in the headlight, at which point when you bake it, you might as well clean up the headlight and make it look nicer. I don't even know the cost yet. I was trying to buy a set of used ct headlights for cheap because I could then take it apart and do the reflectors while I wait here in winter and also figure out the best way to mount the ballast under the headlight... but we'll see. I'm trying not to let this keep escalating in price..lol

But totally agree. I'm glad I didn't rash and buy the JDM headlights, would have been more work and in the end not able to make it work.

-Nigel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts