Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery
And waited 10 min to clear the memory?
I didnt clear the memory, but I did have Gasket Masters come out. Just as I suspected there was a small crack in the head gasket between cylinders 1 and 2. I’m glad I caught it in time and I’m happy to know that the engine will last another 120k.
I love this little car so much and I still plan on keeping it for the next 10 years or more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also wanted to add that I plan on installing an OCC as well. I didn’t think these cars needed it, but they really do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you. I purchased the car new and have taken meticulous care of this car. You’re head gasket needs to be replaced. I replaced all my spark plugs and coil packs, didn’t fix the issue. I cleaned out the EGR system and changed the PCV; still no fix. I called the Gasket Masters and they will be here on Monday. They are going to tear apart the engine, replace the head gasket and all the other gaskets, change plugs, oil change and radiator flush, and replace anything that needs to be, all for less than $2000 (and I mean a lot less).
Sucks that this happened, but at least you know you’re not alone. Here’s to another 140k miles!
Clogged inlet manifold? Must be removed
And cleaned.
Any traces of coolant into oil?
Under oil filler?
Leakage of coolant and frequent topping?
If no it's probably not the gasket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Clogged inlet manifold? Must be removed
And cleaned.
Any traces of coolant into oil?
Under oil filler?
Leakage of coolant and frequent topping?
If no it's probably not the gasket.
It was the gasket. I had it replaced and I kept the old one. I never lost coolant or oil, I caught the problem before it became worse thanks to this forum, the Prius forums, and google. Paid Gasket Masters $1750, they came to my house, changed oil and coolant, put in a new EGR cooler, PCV, and new head bolts and gaskets. My intake mani, TB, and EGR line were already cleaned by myself and were still clean. They put in new plugs even though I had just put new ones in like 3 weeks ago with new coil packs.
Even if the Head Gasket wasn’t cracked, I would’ve had them change it. I feel much more confident that the car will last another 120k after everything was looked at and replaced. They finished the job in like 3 hours too.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
407 Posts
What is an oil catch can? Where is it installed?
It catches oil that blows by the pcv system and enters combustion through the ubrake system. Ideally, there should only be crankcase gases that pass through, but sometimes oil also passes through and over time, creates a mess in the intake and causes issues. The catch can is installed between the pcv system and the intake and "catches" the oil and prevents it from entering the intake system while allowing gases to pass through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the detailed clarification. Is this a part I can buy at an auto parts store or is this a dealer part or aftermarket?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you for the detailed clarification. Is this a part I can buy at an auto parts store or is this a dealer part or aftermarket?
Thanks again.
You can find them all over the internet. Amazon has a very inexpensive option for around $20-$30 USD. You can find a really good write up and even a video on YouTube if you search 3rd Gen Prius Oil Catch Can.

You can spend anywhere between $50-$300 USD depending on what parts you use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2012 CT that I have owned for just under two years. Has 168k on it currently. Let a friend drive as I awas out of town and was near an oil change and asked them to put in a quart to be safe.

They put in a quart of oil additive rather than oil, and a few rough starts plus a check engine light immediately followed. I've put toughly 22k on the vehicle since owning and have had zero issues, and just had the 3rd oil change. I have looked into the EGR threads and am debating if cleaning that entire system is a necessity.

There was maybe 3 rough starts and 40 miles put on the vehicle between the time the additive was put in and getting it to the shop for a system flush and oil change. Code came back cylinder 1 misfire and technician suggested it was probably due to increase in oil viscosity that the motor isn't used to handling and a bit of friction occurring because of that.

Haven't had any issues out of the car and have had zero rough starts prior to this and am wondering if it may truly be as simple as the mistake and increase in oil viscosity, or (after reading a few threads) if I am looking at more significant damage. Also, there is a slight rattle in low idle as if a plate or pan may be loose? Haven't heard that prior, but is also new.

Have started the vehicle and driven 50-60 miles since oil change and there hasn't been a hard start, engine noise (clanking or etc.), or any other noticeable symptom since.

Any advice much appreciated.
Egr cooler will be clogged at this mileage.
Inlet manifold will clogged as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don’t put the “recommended” amount of oil in it, even at Dealerships they over-fill..

always- under the dot on that stick

why give a horizontal PCV something to spit?
spitting oil up the intake, drips down into cylinder, misfires a plug.. well that starts the swirling Bang Bang that wipes everyone out

and Don’t follow the manual on plugs
Swap em out every 60,000, plugs threads swell and ceramics pit over time, and we don’t need to trash our threads taking out a 120,000 mile plug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I haven’t been back on in awhile because I wanted to give my repair enough time for me to feel confident about it. So, here’s an update:

After running through all of the easier, less involved routes and potential problems, I gave way to the belief that it was the head gasket. I reached out to a few Toyota/Lexus mechanics who were willing to offer some advice and followed YouTube videos to go forward with DIY. Took it apart down to the head and the gasket was absolutely flattened giving way for the leak into the cylinders and causing the misfire. Had the head inspected for any cracking or warpage and got the okay on it not showing any sign of overheating and subsequent cracking/warpage. It wasn’t an easy process, and probably took me 3-5 hours of work over a 4-day span, but I got it done and put it a new head gasket (as well as every other gasket I came across along the way) with new head bolts.

Random side note: The most questionable part of the process was the recommendation I got from 2 separate mechanics to not resurface the head if it passed inspection. Said it left almost no room for any resurfacing and that it would likely just lead to more problems if I did.

Absolutely bizarre to pull a head, replace the gasket, and slap it back together, but I’ve put over 2,000 miles on it since and haven’t had a single problem. No leaks and no CEL.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
407 Posts
I haven’t been back on in awhile because I wanted to give my repair enough time for me to feel confident about it. So, here’s an update:

After running through all of the easier, less involved routes and potential problems, I gave way to the belief that it was the head gasket. I reached out to a few Toyota/Lexus mechanics who were willing to offer some advice and followed YouTube videos to go forward with DIY. Took it apart down to the head and the gasket was absolutely flattened giving way for the leak into the cylinders and causing the misfire. Had the head inspected for any cracking or warpage and got the okay on it not showing any sign of overheating and subsequent cracking/warpage. It wasn’t an easy process, and probably took me 3-5 hours of work over a 4-day span, but I got it done and put it a new head gasket (as well as every other gasket I came across along the way) with new head bolts.

Random side note: The most questionable part of the process was the recommendation I got from 2 separate mechanics to not resurface the head if it passed inspection. Said it left almost no room for any resurfacing and that it would likely just lead to more problems if I did.

Absolutely bizarre to pull a head, replace the gasket, and slap it back together, but I’ve put over 2,000 miles on it since and haven’t had a single problem. No leaks and no CEL.
How clogged was you egr?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts