Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
interesting article recently. Despite the high cost of gas and contribution to global warming the percentage of hybrid vehicles being sold in the US is actually declining. The Prius makes up 50% of all hybrid sales. 2009 was the best year at 2.9% but it is now 2.5%.
Improving the conventional ICE gas mileage and higher cost to recoup the savings were cited as main factors in declining hybrid sales.
Although not stated in the article is the fact that when the economy went into the toilet people have been opting for cheaper upfront costs for a car. Being "green" costs more in the beginning.
Personally my buying the CT200h was more about being fed up with $75 weekly gasoline bills and knowing that the money is going in large part to the arab countries or Venezuela that despise the US. I like spending my money on other items than lining the pockets of the Saudis.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well with all those new engine that can consume almost the same on highway its normal to expect that! For me the biggest disapointement with the Lexus is the fact that you get the same hybrid system ( same performance ) than the Prius without the same fuel economy. Ok driving experience is not the same and look but with all the new technologie i wish they will come out with something more powefull

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can always trade your Lexus for a Prius :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
interesting article recently. Despite the high cost of gas and contribution to global warming the percentage of hybrid vehicles being sold in the US is actually declining. The Prius makes up 50% of all hybrid sales. 2009 was the best year at 2.9% but it is now 2.5%.
Improving the conventional ICE gas mileage and higher cost to recoup the savings were cited as main factors in declining hybrid sales.
Although not stated in the article is the fact that when the economy went into the toilet people have been opting for cheaper upfront costs for a car. Being "green" costs more in the beginning.
Personally my buying the CT200h was more about being fed up with $75 weekly gasoline bills and knowing that the money is going in large part to the arab countries or Venezuela that despise the US. I like spending my money on other items than lining the pockets of the Saudis.
The drop could be due to the facts that:
  • 90% of all hybrids I see on the road are Priuses - nobody seems to want any other hybrids;
  • As a result of the Japan earthquake, the supply of Priuses was choked off for a good part of 2011;
  • The survey probably ended before the recent dump-off of 2011 Priuses I've been witnessing in So Cal. It seems that every other new car on the road is a Prius.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Think the Prius domination is because there's two kinds of hybrids on the market at the moment :

Average speed
Maximum speed

The CT and Prius (and CR-Z) at 10secs to 60 are what I'd call "Average" speed. As in, competent cars that can go at a decent speed.

Every other hybrid, including the rest of the Lexus range, the Porsche, Infiniti and the forthcoming Audi are Maximum speed, i.e. they go to 60 in under 6 seconds. That puts them above my price range ...

There's nothing really in between, no 8 second to 60 car to fill a "cheap sports hybrid" niche. Maybe that will be where a CT300 fits in ?

So - Prius level : affordable
GS450h/Infiniti M35h level : unaffordable

Hence the Prius getting the market domination : It beats Honda through its tech and people can afford it. I suspect when more people know about the CT and have a look inside, people will go CT over Prius due to interior quality.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The drop could be due to the facts that:
  • 90% of all hybrids I see on the road are Priuses - nobody seems to want any other hybrids;
On Long Island that would be because the Prius is the only 2011 hybrid that gets 45mpg, which is the low end requirement for driving in the HOV lane of the Long Island Expressway with a single passenger. I know of a few people in my office, with long commutes, who have a Prius solely for that reason.

When I replaced my 2003 Civic Hybrid (which was grandfathered in the HOV lane), I lost that privilege.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts