Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wondering Am I still going to void the Lexus warranty if I buy and install the F sport spring from sewell and install it myself

Does anyone try installing the spring themselves? is it easy to do so????

·
Registered
232 Posts
installing springs? its not going to be easy.. haha.

they can void your warranty for anything they see fit. if there are any issues with your chassis, the simplest blame and also the cheapest, its your springs!

i asked this question here before.

there are 2 or 3 school of thoughts here.

1) go ahead mod, Lexus cant proof anything, if anything, its litigation?
2) go ahead mod, i dont need the Lexus warranty for that area
3) dont mod, i need the warranty to have peace of mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For Lexus OEM parts that are designed to be placed in a particular model, you should be fine. The problem is that if you don't have the right tools for the spring installation, you could hurt yourself and/or you car. I recommend a local suspension shop to install the parts to get it done cheaply. The best way though is to have a Lexus dealership install them and then you shouldn't have a problem at all in reference to your warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's IF you have the F Sport springs in your possession now, yamaturkey. Lexus is not allowing their sale as of about two weeks ago (and if a dealer sold them to you in the meantime, it's essentially disobeying a sales/service bulletin), and you'll certainly have to find an independent shop to install them. They're being redesigned, per the thread in the Suspension forum.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Hi all,
Just wondering Am I still going to void the Lexus warranty if I buy and install the F sport spring from sewell and install it myself
Does anyone try installing the spring themselves? is it easy to do so????
You and JennyPenny should not make upgrades! If you have worries or concerns such as you both express, then don't make upgrades. It is as simple as that. In your case ,] I would have got the F-Sport if i were you.

Everyone has a certain level of risk aversion and a comfort level of how much risk you are willing to accept. Stay in your comfort zone. There are several options: (1) buy the car you want to start with, e.g. F-Sport on maybe if you have performance genes and ISF, (2) you buy a car an you are not completely satisfied, get a PROFESSIONAL to install upgrades/mods, (3) DIY Stay at you comfort level ... (1) no risk, (2) the professionals accept some of the risk, (3) you accept the risk ...if there really is any.

In summary, in your case because of the question you asked --- you should not make any mods; you probably should have bought the F-Sport.

P.S. - The price of the CT200h is a little funny ... It brings in drivers who wouldn't normally drive a luxury car. Think about it... Lexus has provide a solution to more people ...even beyond their highest and best seller the ES350.

232 Posts
Lexus is just realizing that there is a huge market out there for the mod enthusiasts, just as BMW has found out. Do you how many mod's BMW has put out for their e46/e90/e93 series? And now the newly introduced 2012 F30 & F10 series? Mini Cooper is another brand whose owners are generally a bunch of true die hard mod enthusiasts and DIY's.

I can unequivocally vouch for you that, in spite of the fact BMW vehicles are priced much higher than Lexus, and they are way more luxurious than Lexus, their owners are generally avid mod fanatics. Most of them do themselves, others use independent shops.

Using a Lexus sanctioned mod's will not void any warranty as far as it is properly installed. These mod's were developed by third party suppliers using design platform that was open for them by the OEM. If a version of the f-Sports suspension kit was taken out of the market, perhaps it is flawed and may have a safety issue. Abide by the service bulletins.

Changing springs on the other hand is usually left for a savy mechanic. You need hydraulic lift, ramps ain't gonna do it. You need impact wrench to loosen various suspension components. You need headroom to torque the high tensile bolts back to spec's. To remove springs you need spring compressors, and headroom to yank them out of the MacPherson struts/towers. Usually after such suspension mod you have to check the caster and camber measurements of the front wheels to make sure they are within spec's, these are non-adjustable on MacPherson struts. If they are not, you need a body shop to physically force them back to spec's again. Rear wheels are a tad easier to deal but they also must be checked for alignment as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts