Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed (or actually installed) one of those aftermarket autodimming mirrors on their CT?

Or, has anyone here had experience installing them, in general? I would like to, but...the mirror mount on the CT looks a little different than normal. Plus, I'm not entirely certain how the curtain(?) side air bags work, and afraid to take off the cover. They wouldn't go off on me by opening that part up, would it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having one put in next week. The only thing I really wanted as an add on was a back up camera. I was willing to buy a package, but a CT came available that didn't have it. Theres a place in Manassas (saw you were in Fairfax) that will put on the OEM mirror by Gentex with Autodim, Compass, Homelink, and a Monitor for the Backup camera.

If you're interested PM me and I'll send you the guy's name and info.

As far as experiance putting one in, I'm a bit handy but not that handy and would be apprehensive about doing it myself. As it is to mount a camera they have to drill into a place in the tail gate and that freaks me out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! A fellow Fire Agate/Caramel CT owner in NoVA.
I've actually installed these mirror before on other cars, and the aftermarket just fit right over the existing factory mounts. However, I noticed our CT's mount looked a little different than the usual.
I haven't had time yet to analyze closely yet...was hoping someone already did a DIY on one of these Gentex mirrors and save me all the "Hmm's" and head-scratching.
But, if its something I can't figure out, I'll PM you on that person in Manassas. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
all the parts are in. I just got the call. Tomorrow Dash, aka my CT, goes under the knife for a back up camera and autotint rearview with homelink.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yes, please post pics when completed, i'd love to see. i inquired about this option to my dealer when i purchased my car and they quoted me around $2k in labor and parts. i laughed out loud...literally. this was the only 'option' i wanted on the car. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had my local aftermarket company install the Gentex 3345 mirror into my wife's CT. This unit has a 3.3" color screen, HomeLink, compass and auto-dim. For the camera, I went with a unit which contains the camera in a chrome license plate holder. I believe that the factory camera is integrated into the rear hatch, so while it's not flush it's not very noticeable. Whereas I didn't really like the mounting position of the aftermarket cameras (on the lip containing the two lights for the license plate). Gentex is the OEM supplier to Toyota & Lexus; although with lower end units i.e. without HomeLink. I'm really please with the results.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It'd be great if you could get a close up before and after pic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going with the Kenwood camera where it has multiple screens and angles. Its got an adjusting button to pic which screen you want, or even will do a split screen. Its a little more pricey, but looks like it will be worth it. It probably will not be as discreet as OEM or a license plate bracket, but it will be nice in one of the parking garages I need to park in (seeing the corners to avoid concrete column rash). I'll try to take before and after pics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here are the before and after pics, they're not the best but it gives you an idea. Some are screen shots of the different views. The camera looks a bit bigger than I would have liked and I'm waiting to see if it grows on me, but the views are great.

The last vertical split screen image are of the right and left corners like I talked about in previous posts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is really nice! I'd like to install one of these mirrors. If I could only locate the correct wire to hook up the wires, I'd do it myself. :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone installed (or actually installed) one of those aftermarket autodimming mirrors on their CT?

Or, has anyone here had experience installing them, in general? I would like to, but...the mirror mount on the CT looks a little different than normal. Plus, I'm not entirely certain how the curtain(?) side air bags work, and afraid to take off the cover. They wouldn't go off on me by opening that part up, would it?
Well, I got impatient and took on this mod, answering all my own questions today. Installed a Gentex Autodim mirror with Compass/Temperature. Yeah, "Why the temperature one (when the CT already displays it)?" At the time I bought it I hadn't received my CT...so I did not know how things were displayed.
Anyway, good news is the CT mirror is as standard as any other, and the Gentex mirrors will fit right where the stock one leaves off. The side panels...never figured out how to pop them off, so I just stuffed the wires behind them (worked well).
My advice...skip the temperature display model. Squeezing wires through the firewall was a royal pain (there's just no room to work below there!...even routing the sensor behind the grill was a pain.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here are the before and after pics, they're not the best but it gives you an idea. Some are screen shots of the different views. The camera looks a bit bigger than I would have liked and I'm waiting to see if it grows on me, but the views are great.

The last vertical split screen image are of the right and left corners like I talked about in previous posts.

Nice pics, how much was the total with install?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, The final total was $1400. That included $730 for the mirror, $350 for the multiangle camera. I know, ewwww

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I got impatient and took on this mod, answering all my own questions today. Installed a Gentex Autodim mirror with Compass/Temperature. Yeah, "Why the temperature one (when the CT already displays it)?" At the time I bought it I hadn't received my CT...so I did not know how things were displayed.
Anyway, good news is the CT mirror is as standard as any other, and the Gentex mirrors will fit right where the stock one leaves off. The side panels...never figured out how to pop them off, so I just stuffed the wires behind them (worked well).
n.
Hey yuDanJa,
which camera model did you order and where did you mount it and where did you order it? Did you mount it in the same place like ERDOC who mounted the camera to between the left license light and the trunk unlock switch?
Thanks for the tip on the Gentex. I was still figuring if those would work, so now i will order it. Which Gentex did you get? the 2.4 lcd or 3.3 lcd?
Thanks in advance. I think i may have seen your car in the fairlakes area on monday by shopping center with TJMaxx. I just picked up my CT that day and finally saw another CT on the road!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey yuDanJa,
which camera model did you order and where did you mount it and where did you order it? Did you mount it in the same place like ERDOC who mounted the camera to between the left license light and the trunk unlock switch?
Thanks for the tip on the Gentex. I was still figuring if those would work, so now i will order it. Which Gentex did you get? the 2.4 lcd or 3.3 lcd?
Thanks in advance. I think i may have seen your car in the fairlakes area on monday by shopping center with TJMaxx. I just picked up my CT that day and finally saw another CT on the road!
Hi. Sorry, I think you may have misread the posts, but my autodimming mirror only has a compass and temp display. But I'm pretty sure there'll be no problems installing the mirror with the camera. ERDocDave's install pics clearly prove it. Creatively stuffing the wires out of sight will be most of the "fun" involved, but it's not impossible.

Anyway, I was at the TJMaxx shopping area in early May, but haven't been there for weeks. If you were referring to that time frame, then that probably was my CT. :) Or, it could have been another...I did pass by another Fire Agate Pearl CT once before in the Fairfax area (in early May).

·
Registered
18 Posts
ah ok, sorry i misread.
thanks. i try for the boyo VTL375. its looks less obvious, i don't need to have any more reasons for someone try to take something off my car lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts