Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm considering getting a Lexus CT 200H to use for commuting and longer road trips. At first I had been looking at Prius models, but I can't handle the uncomfortable seats. The Lexus seems like a pretty decent alternative for not too much more cost. My budget is 5-8k, so I have been looking at high mileage cars in the 2011/12 years. I have a few questions--

In my research it seems the CT has really good reliability and I'd feel pretty good about one with 100k miles on it. Over 200k makes me nervous, though, should I be concerned at that point?

On multi-day road trips, I like the idea of folding down the rear seats and sleeping in the back. I know there are folks that stealth camp or even live full-time in a Prius. I'm not that ambitious lol, but since the CT seems shorter and more cramped than a Prius, can anyone confirm for me if I could actually comfortably stretch out in the back? I am 6' 2" but I think with the passenger seat pushed all the way forward and a box or platform placed on the floor to level out the back cargo area this should still work, yes?

I've been researching the basic radio vs the nav screen option and I don't think I see a use to having a dash mounted screen or a "mouse" if I can swap out the radio for a touch screen like this-- Lexus CT200h Navigation Install With Aftermarket Android Head Unit - Professional blog for car DVD GPS head units
Because of this, I am looking specifically for cars w/o the nav package. Does anyone see a value in the "mouse" thing or have any suggestions regarding this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The mouse on the nav for the 2011 is the best input device ever made for a car. 1000 times better than a touch screen or touch panel.
It has tactile feedback and is in the perfect natural position. But the system is basic, can connect to your phone for audio or calls, can play usb mp3s, and I really like the nav.
The nav map data can be updated, but only through a dealer with a special computer. The dealer charges $238.48 for the map updates and takes less than 30 min.

The nav system locks out when driving which makes zero sense and to me is a huge defect. So to use the nav properly, you have to buy a 3rd party override switch. You click the button and it makes the nav think the car stopped moving so all the functions and buttons wont be greyed out anymore.
Beatsonic used to sell it, you have to call them to see if they still make them. How to install a NAV/DVD Override/Bypass Module on a 2011 Lexus CT200h - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The only other benefit to the nav system is it allows you change some of the lighting timers and other options with the car without an ob2 cable.

But even with the best mouse ever made for a car and the override, I still recommend getting a non nav car and installing the 3rd party nav/radio.
This way you can keep it updated by yourself and you can integrate google traffic into the maps.

The Lexus nav system is too crippled.

As for changing the car options, just buy a bootleg Toyota Tech Stream cable and software on ebay for $35. This will also let you program your own keys and give you any diagnostic data for the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was helpful, thank you.

Can anyone take a tape measure to the cargo space with the seats down and the front passenger seat all the way forward? I haven't been able to look at a CT in person so it would be very helpful to know this. Why it is often so hard to find meaningful cargo space dimensions on cars? Cu ft numbers are nearly worthless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I finally got to answer my own question. In case anyone else is curious, I can fit, fully stratched out at a diagonal with the passeneger seat put forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts