Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not new to owning a Lexus or posting on boards but I am new to owning a CT200h and this board. We recently purchased a 2012 CPO car. I was a little surprised it did not have HomeLink. I purchased a HomeLink equipped console off of ebay just to see if could be swapped. Short answer is yes. Long answer is it is easier than I thought it would be and could be done by just purchasing the module, faceplate and button assembly.

First I used a plastic kitchen spatula to remove the console from the headliner. It is held in by 4 christmas tree type press pins. Be sure to remove the console by starting at the two corners closest to the windshield. There are some hooks at the back side that make it almost impossible to remove by starting at the end away from the windshield without damaging it.

Once the console is removed there is one wire connector on the drivers side. Unplug this. If you are replacing with a complete unit off of ebay all you need to do now is reverse the procedure and install the new console.

The console I purchased off of ebay showed up with some damage (most likely from trying to remove the console starting at the wrong side). I decide to take it apart and use my original trim pieces.

Once the console is out you need to remove the 7 screws holding the back cover on the unit. You also need to unplug the microphone connector.

Once the back is off you need to remove the two screws near the connector and the two bulbs. This will allow you to remove the PCB. Mine was a little snug around the pin indicated with the blue circle. Be carful and wiggle the board up off this pin. This PCB is the same on both HomeLink and non-HomeLink cars.

Next you can remove the switch carrier. Once it is removed you can get to the latches for the face plate. There are 6 of them indicated by the green arrows.

Reverse the procedure to install the HomeLink components. Job Done.

The Switch carrier is the same on both HomeLink and non-HomeLink cars as well. Sorry for the bad picture but basically there is a set of switches that are added to the carrier for HomeLink cars. So basically all you need to do the conversion is the GDO Module, The assembly with the 3 HomeLink switches and the face plate. While the assembled console is different in the CT than other models, I suspect the black center part is the same. If that is the case you could get a console from an IS, GS or other model and just use the faceplate, HomeLink switches and GDO module to upgrade our existing CT console.

* I am not a Lexus tech and don't claim to be. This procedure worked for me and was really quite easy. As aways with internet write ups, follow these instructions at your own risk. OhOneWS6 is not liable for any damage you may cause.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Holy crap that does look pretty easy! I'm putting this on my list for the spring, doesn't seem right to have that ugly stock garage door opener hanging there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to get a pic of the HomeLink module installed. It is pretty obvious how it goes in and the cable connector is keyed so it will only plug in one way. You should have no issue with this upgrade leonar. Be sure to post back your results if you decide to tackle it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just to be clear, all of the steps that you listed with the pictures were performed simply because you wanted to use your original trim pieces correct? If I bought a new unit or found a complete unit in good shape then it's really just a matter of taking the old unit off and plugging in the new unit and programming it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be clear, all of the steps that you listed with the pictures were performed simply because you wanted to use your original trim pieces correct? If I bought a new unit or found a complete unit in good shape then it's really just a matter of taking the old unit off and plugging in the new unit and programming it?
Exactly.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks! I'll start keeping an eye out for a good deal. There are a couple on Ebay right now but they want $180 for it. Seems like a lot considering you are basically buying a universal garage door opener.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'll start keeping an eye out for a good deal. There are a couple on Ebay right now but they want $180 for it. Seems like a lot considering you are basically buying a universal garage door opener.
I agree. I found mine for $75. Still a little much IMO but I wanted to see if it could be done. I have been looking for an exploded view to try and get part numbers for just the parts needed. Might be cheaper that way. No luck yet though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where does the rain sensor plug into? Also in to this module? I need a new windshield and wondering if I could retrofit a rain sensor in there as I can also get the sensor cheap, but no idea on where wires go or if there is an existing plug for it on non rain sensor equipped CT

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well after 3 months of checking Ebay about once per week I finally found an overhead console with homelink for $95. Arrived today. The removal of the old unit and installation of the new unit with programming took all of about 10 minutes. Works perfectly and looks so much better than having the big ugly garage door opener attached to the visor!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after 3 months of checking Ebay about once per week I finally found an overhead console with homelink for $95. Arrived today. The removal of the old unit and installation of the new unit with programming took all of about 10 minutes. Works perfectly and looks so much better than having the big ugly garage door opener attached to the visor!
Glad you got it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts