Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you would entertain the idea of
1. buying from this site: OEM design Lexus CT 200H DVD GPS and Lexus CT 200H Navigation, Lexus CT 200H GPS

2. Attempting an install of the unit advertised

3. Expect that the installation of this unit would work as if it was factory installed?

4. Know anything about the different options listed under additional options to the units' purchase?

5. I kinda feel dumb having to ask, since I am quasi-semi-technologically adept in most cases, in most areas,
but not here... :(

6. Since we own our own GPS and it works great, we didn't opt for the factory nav with our CT
so, we went SANZ GPS, but at this price, we could afford to throw it in, since it is not strapped to
a package, and it might be worth purchasing.

Caveats: We have backup camera on rearview mirror, also, the list of features does not state that it will
show the hybrid drive system as a choice of options that this unit will handle. THAT would be cool........

I found one like this on another site, so they are starting to hit the market I guess...

help.

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know how this will work as "OEM" because this GPS is touchscreen while ct's with NAV are controlled with that "mouse/knob". This might be an issue because you're gonna reach everything to use it because it will be on the dash. As for #5 on your list, I'm the same way :p. It would be cool to get the tv option but I think tv in the US is all digital, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't get it-does this replace the factory Nav screen? Or does it add-on to a non-navi system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that it adds on to a non nav vehicle.. that being said, I am going to innocently assume most owners have a nav equipped vehicle... i have a garmin (free hand me down with current upgraded version/maps..) so buying one with nav was not a prudent decision for us...

I think that a wait and hold mode would be a good idea until someone with more expertise and technical knowledge than I chimes in with info about an upgrade who may have a non nav equipped vehicle who may decide to add it aftermarket...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought the one in the link (the one that replaces your factory radio by shifter) It doesn't work. It obviously hasn't been tested on US cars yet. The unit I bought came with weird/unmatching connectors/harnesses. I complained and they said they'll send me new ones. I was basically a guinea pig and part of their research and development team, unpaid and with plenty of headaches. Had to take pictures of my car's existing harnesses/connectors and their engineers took 2 weeks to make and send me new connectors. It fit, but still did NOT work. After wasting about a month of my time and headaches that came along with taking the factory headunit out at least 6-8 times, I got nothing out of it. I got a full refund and had to pull teeth to get them to pay me return shipping...such a waste of time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I kept seeing the unit on eBay and almost bought it. It's a shame that it doesn't work.

I bought the one in the link (the one that replaces your factory radio by shifter) It doesn't work. It obviously hasn't been tested on US cars yet. The unit I bought came with weird/unmatching connectors/harnesses. I complained and they said they'll send me new ones. I was basically a guinea pig and part of their research and development team, unpaid and with plenty of headaches. Had to take pictures of my car's existing harnesses/connectors and their engineers took 2 weeks to make and send me new connectors. It fit, but still did NOT work. After wasting about a month of my time and headaches that came along with taking the factory headunit out at least 6-8 times, I got nothing out of it. I got a full refund and had to pull teeth to get them to pay me return shipping...such a waste of time

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes I bought it from the eBay user: tradesolution07. Total waste of time. Especially when it takes so long to get to the damn factory head unit...(you have to loosen steering column, remove instrument cluster cover, trimming, climate control/clock, center console, leather trim pieces, shift knob, and there's like 8 connectors you have to remove) I had to do that like 6-8 times. Pain in the ***!!! All for nothing. All they said was, "oops, we've never tested it on US market cars, or different models/ie premium sound/non nav/etc..." and for some reason it's still advertised for sale on eBay...WTF

232 Posts
Nobody mentioned about the antenna connector. In the US models the roof antenna got four micro coaxial cable connectors: (1) am/fm; (2) Sirius chipset; (3) Lexus enForm and (4) GPS chipset for OEM nav. I found this to my horror when I purchased a genuine Lexus shark fin for Japanese market and after peeling my roof liner I discovered this. The Japanese shark fin only got a single micro coaxial connector. Needless to say it was totally incompatible with my US CT model. So unless the aftermarket unit comes with appropriate connector you will loose Sirius radio as well as Lexus enForm functionality. If you ever re-sale your CT it will loose value.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went to one of their locations in Guangzhou to inquire about the advertised GPS unit. Apparently there is no english language option provided and no North American maps ("you would have to find your own") so this basically squashed my interest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I ordered an Indash navigation for my CT. I will be getting it in a few weeks and will install it and put up pics of the install and how it looks. I am hella excited to be getting them. The seller seems confident that it will work in my car and it will have the USA maps and will be able to be controlled by the Steering Wheel! Hopefully it is legit. I will share my experience once job is complete!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was wondering about adding the factory Nav - is that reasonably easy? I've seen a few for $1,400 or so brand new.
there is no "reasonably easy" when it comes to adding the OEM style nav to base cars. I would say your best bet for navigation is your phone or a PND. The amount of money and time you'll spend just to get a OEM navigation into a base CT (IMO) is crazy. But if you're made of money and don't care then by all means...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money, but it seems like it would take far more than would make it worthwhile. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
there is no "reasonably easy" when it comes to adding the OEM style nav to base cars. I would say your best bet for navigation is your phone or a PND. The amount of money and time you'll spend just to get a OEM navigation into a base CT (IMO) is crazy. But if you're made of money and don't care then by all means...
I think this is right on. Just speculating here, but I think with labor and parts, it would cost less to trade your base model in for a comparable CPO (same year, color, mileage) w/ Nav and come out ahead with additional upgrades like a backup camera, subwoofer, and a center speaker in the dash.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think this is right on. Just speculating here, but I think with labor and parts, it would cost less to trade your base model in for a comparable CPO (same year, color, mileage) w/ Nav and come out ahead with additional upgrades like a backup camera, subwoofer, and a center speaker in the dash.
and a better resale value :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts