Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I added chrome lower door moldings to my car last summer and a couple months ago I had my fender repainted due to chipped paint in which they had also to blend into my side doors (starfire pearl). Needless to say the chrome moldings had to be removed and I had to purchase new ones. I brought it to a certified Lexus repair shop who also happens to be one of the few Lexus repair shops also certified on the LFA. The one thing that suprised me is that they said I could not wax the newly painted areas for 2 months but they did put my lower door moldings back on immediately. I had to purchase the set and give it to them to put on as they are not factory parts that they could order. My concern is that if I ever have to remove these moldings again, is my paint going to be messed up underneath do the curing process? I already predict i'll have to take them off again next summer as the original set started peeling in a few small spots after the harsh winter we had in Chicago with the amount of road salt that was used. Should I be worried or would the paint have cured enough for them to put these on. They had my car for a week so i'm assming they didn't put them on immediately but maybe wait a day or so after baking it in a booth. Not too sure though....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Don't worry, be happy! Worrying about this is not going to help one bit. The reason that you can't wax "new paint" supposedly is that the solvents in the "wax" penetrate the uncured paint and might cause bubbles. If they told you not to wax the car and then put on the moldings, they must think that the 3M adhesive on the moldings won't do any harm to the paint. I bet that it won't matter, but since they are already on there, why worry? It is what it is.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry, be happy! Worrying about this is not going to help one bit. The reason that you can't wax "new paint" supposedly is that the solvents in the "wax" penetrate the uncured paint and might cause bubbles. If they told you not to wax the car and then put on the moldings, they must think that the 3M adhesive on the moldings won't do any harm to the paint. I bet that it won't matter, but since they are already on there, why worry? It is what it is.
I wouldn't worry if they were permanent but the fact that they will likely be removed someday worry's me. I didn't file in insurance claim for this body work, I paid cash which cost me alittle over $1100. Just want to make sure I won't expect a issue down the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts