Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried mounting a tablet computer where the navigation would normally go? I find that little "storage bin" pretty useless, and would like to put it to better use by mounting a tablet screen there. I'm assuming the iPad would be too big, but maybe the new 7 inch google one would suffice?

I guess I could just use my iPhone with the built in smart phone holder, BUT the small screen would not be easy to read while driving, AND would take my eyes off the road. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Has anyone tried mounting a tablet computer where the navigation would normally go? I find that little "storage bin" pretty useless, and would like to put it to better use by mounting a tablet screen there. I'm assuming the iPad would be too big, but maybe the new 7 inch google one would suffice?

I guess I could just use my iPhone with the built in smart phone holder, BUT the small screen would not be easy to read while driving, AND would take my eyes off the road. :)
And the pad wouldn't? Not to mention blocking your view of most of the road immediately in front of your car? Even if you could actually mount a small tablet there, if you had an accident you can bet your bottom dollar (and I mean your LAST dollar) that the other party would claim you cared so little for others that you had a tablet mounted where it blocked part of your view and obviously were distracted by whatever was on it at the time.

Very risky behavior for a road car. Might look good at a car show in a static display.

Just my opinion.

232 Posts
I read somewhere that certain states are gonna put restriction on the size of display for gps/smartphone devices which I am sure will gonna include any tablets. I whole hardheartedly agree with joe166 on the liability issue. I believe that the mouse styled input are less conducive to accidents than touch screen. Probably it will start in NJ and did you that we got a law for doggie seatbelt?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe that the mouse styled input are less conducive to accidents than touch screen.
I totally disagree that a mouse is better than a touch screen. I have an Acura with touch screen and one glance, touch and it done. The mouse on the CT is hunt, look, hunt some more, look, verify, and then enter. My preference is touch screen by a long shot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:) I suspect the mouse vs touch screen argument could run and run. Personally, there's a bit missing from the "glance, touch, done", it's more like "look, lean, poke, correct mistakes, done". With the operative point being "lean".

I'm a fan of the mouse system - I can operate it from my normal driving position. I can also operate it with driving gloves on. With a touch screen satnav, there's a compromise :

Close enough to touch - and it's not likely to be at an angle suitable for a glance
In glance position - it'll need you to reach over and tap it

I'll miss the mouse system if I use someone else's satnav ... but I definitely don't miss the awkwardness that was my old Tomtom solution :D To have the Tomtom in a good viewing position meant it needed a good long reach to prod the screen. Changing destinations on the move on the Tomtom ? Not gonna happen if I'm driving ...

PS I have some advantage by having pattern memory - one of the patterns is where to move the mouse to get what I want out of devices.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Excellent idea, I want to do the exact same thing.
I am waiting for a good 7" tablet with a solid GPS chip and software to come out. Pretty much want it to be a garmin.

And the pad wouldn't? Not to mention blocking your view of most of the road immediately in front of your car? Even if you could actually mount a small tablet there, if you had an accident you can bet your bottom dollar (and I mean your LAST dollar) that the other party would claim you cared so little for others that you had a tablet mounted where it blocked part of your view and obviously were distracted by whatever was on it at the time.

Very risky behavior for a road car. Might look good at a car show in a static display.

Just my opinion.
Well, as far as blocking the view, it would be about the same as the stock gps, and possibly block a few more inches of view, which doesn't make any sort of difference. Moving the seat lower would block more of your view.

I totally disagree that a mouse is better than a touch screen. I have an Acura with touch screen and one glance, touch and it done. The mouse on the CT is hunt, look, hunt some more, look, verify, and then enter. My preference is touch screen by a long shot.
+1, I hate the mouse, a touch screen is much faster and easier to use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just make it so you can take your tablet off it's mount and use it as a Tab for anything else. When you plug it into your radio via the USB have your tunes set up to play.

The New Mini Ipad might be a good choice too. Due out I think Sept 17. Lots of rumors but it should be a 7 inch screen. It should have the same GPS chip. If not you can add the Bad Elf reciever. So many GPS apps for the IPAD you can't beat it's support.

You can also use an Itouch, while smaller than a tablet it works with the bad Elf.

Bad Elf Ipad GPS reciever: Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS Receiver for iPod touch, iPhone, iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, and iPad (66-channel, SBAS/WAAS, 10Hz): GPS & Navigation

FYI, I am NOT an Apple nut, but I do have an Ipad and I have looked at this option for my self too.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, as far as blocking the view, it would be about the same as the stock gps, and possibly block a few more inches of view, which doesn't make any sort of difference. Moving the seat lower would block more of your view.
I get it, you are just arguing for the sake of starting an argument, right? How can you possibly say that blocking the view "would be about the same as the stock gps"? The screen on the stock GPS, which apparently is not big enough for some, is recessed for about half it's height by the cut in the dash. When it is open it does not block anything except the view of the back part of the top of the dash and maybe a smidgen of the hood, not any part of the road AND that is with the seat as low as it will go and I am not particularly tall. Any tablet, even a 7" would have to be mounted on something on top of the dash and it would obviously cover much more of the road.

Besides, it isn't so much the actual blocking of the view that was the gravamen of previous posts. It is that this is precisely the type of modification that would be argued to be evidence of a lack of attention or worse, not giving a rat's behind about other people IF you were to get into an accident. Perception is sometimes far more important than reality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you have a CT without nav is there some sort of storage space in place of the NAV? If it is this would be a not to bad idea. But it would be a little far away from the driver and I wouldnt recommend using it while driving, that would be kinda dangerous.

And also... The "mouse" is great! No fingerprints on the screen.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I get it, you are just arguing for the sake of starting an argument, right? How can you possibly say that blocking the view "would be about the same as the stock gps"? The screen on the stock GPS, which apparently is not big enough for some, is recessed for about half it's height by the cut in the dash. When it is open it does not block anything except the view of the back part of the top of the dash and maybe a smidgen of the hood, not any part of the road AND that is with the seat as low as it will go and I am not particularly tall. Any tablet, even a 7" would have to be mounted on something on top of the dash and it would obviously cover much more of the road.

Besides, it isn't so much the actual blocking of the view that was the gravamen of previous posts. It is that this is precisely the type of modification that would be argued to be evidence of a lack of attention or worse, not giving a rat's behind about other people IF you were to get into an accident. Perception is sometimes far more important than reality.
No, I'm really not arguing just for the sake of arguing. I really believe that you can fit a 7" tab in there, and it would only rise a 2-3 inches above the stock gps, which IMO is not much.

People mount portable GPS units right in the middle of the dash, have things (flowers, cds) hanging from the rear view which block more than a tablet mod would.
Why don't you go around parking lots, and give them all "safety tickets" since you are obviously a safety expert and should spread the word.

When you have a CT without nav is there some sort of storage space in place of the NAV? If it is this would be a not to bad idea. But it would be a little far away from the driver and I wouldnt recommend using it while driving, that would be kinda dangerous.
And also... The "mouse" is great! No fingerprints on the screen.
Yep it would be more dangerous since you would need to lean forward to use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts