Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I've been wondering whether it is possible to add a second battery to extend the EV only rangeof distance of a CT200h.Basically the built-in battery of the CT200h doesn't allow or capable off taking the vehicle on EV mode for mother than couple of kilometers or so.My questions are,1)Is it possible to add a second battery to complement the existing battery and charge it via mains power? I realize a battery charger must be included into the circuitry(preferably a smart charger)2)Has anybody done that or something along those lines?3)Does it damage or wear out the mechanics of the electric motor drive side of the drive system when we extend the built it range of distance?4)Is there a way to or hack to boost the EV only speed upto 60km or so?Thanks in advance for any advice, tips etc.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Anything is possible with customization and money, but without major, major work, the answer is no. I would recommend starting with research on what was done on early Prius models, before the majority of the big brand EVs were released (prior to 2011). There were several companies that specialized in converting Gen 2 Prius to a plug-in electric with reasonable range (30 miles or so). Keep in mind there are still drivetrain limitations. The drivetrain is not designed to operate on electric only over ~25mph or so. I'm sure it could be hacked to go faster than that, but not sure how much more without having to redesign mechanical parts. Overall I don't know why you would want to do this when you can get a used first gen Leaf for under $10K or a Gen 1 Volt for $10K-$15K. You would spend way more than that to do this mod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,thank you for the advice. I've experienced CT200h hitting 70km/h at couple times(The display said it's all electric when it did that),even though it only lasted for 10-20 seconds or so. So, I presumed the electric drive is goodenough to speeds upto at least 80km/h or so. And yes I understand the electric drive(motor)may not be built to last longer drives on it(it may overheat or may be subject to excessive wear and tear that would render themodification a waste).I thought putting the idea on here might give me some sound advice of the feasibility of the project as well as it's worthwhileness. I take your advice seriously and now I think it is a mod that is not worth the financial and technical effort at this stage. thanxCheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts