Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since i have posted on this forum, guess i have just been enjoying my ct!

But i am back and hope someone can help. I would like to add another 12 volt power outlet, out of site though so no quick responses about buying a multi adapter and just plugging it in..... i asked lexus but they just passed me onto a car audio company, which tbh i am not too happy about, further investigating highlighted they had not done this much so then got worried about my trim coming back in bits.

I then wondered if this was something i could do myself as i would take much more care. So, has anyone done this and if they have could you tell me how you connected this in, reason is to hardwire a roadangel into the car, for my US buddies this is a type of radar detector sold in the UK?

Hope someone can help me out, pictures and a near idiots guide would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Since you want to hardwire the device in, it sounds like you don't really want/need a 12V outlet, but you could just splice in the power wires for your radar detector into various 12V sources throughout the car. There are several places that you could tap into including the radio power, existing 12V outlet power, under the dash wiring, etc. That would give you a much more clean look than installing a outlet and plugging in a cigarette style adapter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply but the unit is not as simple as a 12 volt supply, it has a USB lead so requires either an extension to the USB plug (not easy and not looking to do this) or I install a 12 volt extension which looks like a 12 volt hole in the dash, if you know what I mean, then plug the USB adapter into that, then plug in the usb lead to the unit. All of this would then be hidden and just have the usb plug appearing at the back of the centre speaker in the dash.

I have found that there is a remote positive 12 volt auxilary battery terminal under the bonet, used for jump starting the CT, so was wondering if I could use that as the live and then ground the lead on the chassis. Obvously what I dont want to do is damage anything............

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sure you could. That terminal is a direct connection back to the battery. I assume the radar detector is already fused, so it should be safe to plug in just about anywhere.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just lifted the bonnet and the fuse cover, and yes there is a flat blade looking point with a fold back cover on it, this is in the fuse box. Now just need to figure out how I would connect to it, it is not a post, but as I said a flat piece of metal............need to put the thinking cap on I feel!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
You can have a 12 volt tap from inside the console. You can tap 12 volts from the stalk of the rear view mirror (at least the self dimming one). There are several threads on how to remove the console trim to get to it, then you just drop the wire to the side of the console and push it back under the side where it stays until it gets to the back of the console by the passengers feet, where you can then run it up through the A pillar and stuff it under the headliner at the windshield. I have an extra power outlet at the passengers feet, an extra power outlet in the glove box and a wire for my radar detector run up the A pillar that is now wrapped around my rear view mirror because I don't use my radar detector very often any more. None of them was hard. Use the search function, because I don't want to type that much again. Look for console removal threads. Not hard, but be careful, most of the "clips" are plastic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, do you remember what color the wires are that I tap into under the cigarette lighter then? Apologies for all of the questions but I really do not want to screw anything up!

·
Registered
668 Posts
There will just be two wires soldered onto the back of the cigarette lighter, you can't go wrong. I don't know which is which, but you can very easily just measure it with a voltmeter to see which is positive and which is negative.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
There will just be two wires soldered onto the back of the cigarette lighter, you can't go wrong. I don't know which is which, but you can very easily just measure it with a voltmeter to see which is positive and which is negative.
I agree with leonard40 , it is very easy to add another connector to an existing circuit. By connecting to the cigarette lighter (12 volt plug) you are connecting to a circuit which is already switched ( i.e. is only on when the car is on or accessory is on).

However, I personally would add an inline fuse; typically I use a 5 amp. That way if you connect something to the new circuit it blows the fuse instead of melting wires or blowing the fuse of the piggy-backed circuit.

If you are uncomfortable in soldering wires to add another 12 volt plug, this is something that any car stereo shop could do easily. They should also do it very inexpensively since it doesn't take much of their time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advice, i have now ordered an add a circuit fuse unit, this by far seems to be the easiest route, especially as the fuse box is just under the dash.

I did ask a couple of audio install companies, they both wanted £120 and i was supplying nearly all the cables! I reckon if the add a circuit is as easy as everyone's says it is then it will have cost me £5.00 for parts, and my time.

Also, and finally, both companies i approached had never done this on a ct200h and one was recommended by my lexus dealer, so i was worried my trim would come back in a carrier b.ag!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the job was completed at the weekend.

I ended up buying an add a circuit fuse holder and used this in the fuse box under the glove box (RHD car), there is also a bolt there for earthing the cable to the cars chassis. I then ran the cable up under the A pillar and along the dash, this was all tucked away so the end of the cable appears in the middle of the screen where I can plug the Road Angel into.

All working fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I ended up doing to add 2 extra 12v accessory and 2 USB Plug was to tap the wires from the console's 12v accessory wires (since it's connected to the accessory switch) under the center console, put an in-line fuse, at the end of those wires put female/male car audio stereo wire connectors. The other end was a 2 port 12v socket with 2 USB socket with the same female/male car audio wire connector. The reason for the intermediate connector wire is to be able to remove it if I have to bring it to the dealer and hide the wire while in service. I needed the extra 12v for my GPS. The extra USB was to help charge my wife's phone. Didn't have the Nav option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fuse Tap to add accessory outlet for Dashcam

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask about tapping a fuse from the interior fuse box underneath the driver side dash.
I currently have my dash cam plugged into an accessory usb/outlet extension cable, and ran the extension deep under the passenger side where the camera plug is connected. Then the standard running of the power up and around the windshield to the cam.

I cannot tap the mirror, as this is a base CT200h (2013).

I'd like to unclutter the center area and just connect power to the cam without a lot of splicing. I successfully used a blade style fuse tap to run an additional 12v outlet on my old toyota to connect its dash cam. It works great. I just tapped one of the power outlet fuses, plus the additional outlet kit with the plug has its own inline fuse.

When I looked at my fuse box on my CT, I found two power outlet fuses. I don't have a second outlet on the dash because have a base CT, so I tested the output and it works! Although the car complains if you remove that fuse and try to put it in ready mode.
However, these fuses are the mini low-profile fuses. I don't believe there is a blade tap that you can stick in there to simply tap the hot side. I've seen a pic online of someone just jamming a wire inside on that side of the fuse (not what I really want to do).

So I decided to go ahead and purchase a fuse tap (pig tail) that is made for tapping a low-profile fuse. I will be able to put the 15amp fuse in the original line and then probably use a 5amp for the tap for my cam. I know it is important to configure it correctly. I am pretty confident this will work fine. Then I could just plug in the cam to the plug I connect to it and run the wire up and over the driver side.

Ok, long explanation. What I am challenged with, is that I'm fairly sure that the fuse tap will stick out and not allow the fuse box cover to go back on. How should I handle this? I was thinking about cutting a precise hole right where it would stick out, just so that the cover is somewhat still covering stuff. Or, should I jimmy some kind of clamp that will hold the cover over the box with gaps on the side. Or be ghetto, and use electrical tape around the sides of the cover? Any suggestions would be welcome? Anyone else try this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts