Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally left my car running all day yesterday. It was o.k. in that the thing had only used 1/8 of a tank of a gas for 8 hours of being on, but I am really disturbed that it kept on running after the key was with me the whole day.

Is there any way of 'oops I forgot to turn off the car so it will turn itself off' when the key isn't present near the car?

It seems the key is only necessary when the car is first started.

Thomas

·
Registered
193 Posts
Always lock the car when you leave it. If the engine is running an alarm will sound, reminding you that you need to switch it off. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If i am in the car with it running and have to get out of the car to get something when i get about 1 foot past the car it beeps at me indicating that the key is out of range. I guess if the hybrid system is running it could be very hard to tell if the car is on/off. Wonder what would happen if you tried to move the car without the key present? Would it just shut off. Something to try out. Would be bad if it stayed running because someone could just get in the car and take off although they would never get it started again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
what he said, the car beeps a bunch of times when you get out of the car with the keys. I do that plenty of times, like getting mail or something.

·
Registered
200 Posts
as others said, there is plenty of warning once you exit the car if its still running, it will BEEP and the dash will flash KEY NOT DETECTED...

plus, its hard to miss the dash lit up and saying "ready"...if you forget to TURN OFF THE CAR, it certainly lets you know and warned you...(unless you are blind or deaf)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried this myself to check what happens.
Having the key in my pocket and having left the car on, told my wife to drive it. There I was looking like an idiot, watching my car stealing my wife (or vise versa). Hopefully, they didn't go very far, just 30 meters away. Obviously my wife isn't as cruel as my new loving car.
I suppose that this is for security reasons.
Imagine what may happen if you are driving on a highway, having more than 100 km/h on the speedometer and for any reason (malfunction, low key battery, EMF radiation, you name it) the car loses contact with the key.
Or, what should happen if you are stopped, a truck comes onto you and again for any reason, car loses contact with key.
Sounds like a nightmare...

·
Registered
100 Posts
pfft i've done something way dumber... the second time i filled it up at the pump, i filled it up while the car was running.

its hard to get used to the button start/stop and the park button... add the fact the car doesn't actually run when idle and its the perfect recipe for dumb mistakes :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've placed the key in my jacket and have taken my jacket off and threw in the back seat forgetting that I did that and leaving the car unlocked for half a day. Now if I had done that and parked it in the garage forgetting to turn the engine off, that could be a recipe for disaster since the bedroom is upstairs, I do have a CO detector but this scenario could occur given the right circumstances. I now try to make a conscious effort where my keys are when I drive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
For me, it is easy because I park outside the house, so every time I left the car, I have to lock it. If you leave your key in the car (like inside your jacket), it won't let you lock the car. And if you left the engine running, it won't let you lock the car. For people who park inside the garage, I can see it is a problem. I think the car should have a self timer feature that if you idle in PARK for more than 1 hour (configurable) it will turn itself off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since the car is a new purchase to me Im very conscience of the safety of it. I like to make sure it beeps when it locks, if its no response(which i did today) i go back in and check and walah see the car is still on...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since the car is a new purchase to me Im very conscience of the safety of it. I like to make sure it beeps when it locks, if its no response(which i did today) i go back in and check and walah see the car is still on...
I agree. The whole push button start/stop is very different after decades of using a key to turn on the car. I, too, now make a conscious effort to make sure the car is off when i get out of the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is nothing wrong with this. It won't hurt your car, and it's not going to blow up.
i was about to say the same thing - i do this routinely without incident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I too had something similar. I thought I had turned the car off, but when I went into my garage again hours later, there was a sound like the hybrid battery was running or something was. There was no beeping sound to indicate the key was out of range. The gas engine was not running. I got in and turned the off, on again, then off again. I have not had a problem since, but it has only been two weeks since getting the car. I had Prius before it and it too, would beep if the key was not near the driver's seat.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Interesting. I too had something similar. I thought I had turned the car off, but when I went into my garage again hours later, there was a sound like the hybrid battery was running or something was. There was no beeping sound to indicate the key was out of range. The gas engine was not running. I got in and turned the off, on again, then off again. I have not had a problem since, but it has only been two weeks since getting the car. I had Prius before it and it too, would beep if the key was not near the driver's seat.
Was the car off ("READY" not lit up)? If it was off, and if you were near the car ~ 4 hrs after you shut it off, that's normal. There is some sort of process the car goes thru (it was described elsewhere on this forum, I forget what it is), I've heard mine before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel horrible. I left my ct200h running about 6 hours while at work. Please let me know if i damaged it in any way. It looks like others have done similar things. I would really appreciate an answer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I feel horrible. I left my ct200h running about 6 hours while at work. Please let me know if i damaged it in any way. It looks like others have done similar things. I would really appreciate an answer.
Don't worry about it, it's actually less stress on the car then actually driving it for 6 hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello there,

below is a quote I got from the manual. How are the cars remaining on for that long when the manual states they should turn off after 1hr if not in use?

Auto power off function:
If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than 20 minutes or ON mode
(the hybrid system is not operating) for more than an hour with the shift position in P,
the “POWER” switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot
entirely prevent the 12-volt battery from discharging. Do not leave the vehicle with
the “POWER” switch in ACCESSORY or ON mode for long periods of time when
the hybrid system is not operating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello there,

below is a quote I got from the manual. How are the cars remaining on for that long when the manual states they should turn off after 1hr if not in use?

Auto power off function:
If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than 20 minutes or ON mode
(the hybrid system is not operating) for more than an hour with the shift position in P,
the “POWER” switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot
entirely prevent the 12-volt battery from discharging. Do not leave the vehicle with
the “POWER” switch in ACCESSORY or ON mode for long periods of time when
the hybrid system is not operating.
I think the ACCESSORY and ON modes they talk about is when you press the start button once or twice without pressing the brake pedal. So not the "ready" mode where the engine will start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts